Whisky!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
In the next chapter of Oddjob trying random whiskey he's bought over the years.

The middle Irish whiskey was nice, a lighter almost Japanese style. The Redbreast was very delicious, complex but perhaps not up to the dizzying heights of the Glenrothes 19, and Royal Salute Hundreds.

The 78 degrees was complex but not great, but surprisingly improved with time on ice. These Australian whiskeys need more time in the cask or should store their casks somewhere in the tropics to speed up the maturation process. I'm also surprised to see so many wine cask finishes but no sign of port casks from the likes of Seppeltsfield or Penfolds.

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Oddjob

And these were my take homes. I didn't shell out for the Glenrothes 25. I'm not sure how much better it can be than the already stellar Glenrothes 19.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The folks at chivas do make some nice bottles. I am constantly surprised by how few companies value this. There has been times when the bottle has been the deciding factor for me in selecting booze, especially once the price is over $100. If I was launching a booze brand having a bottle that makes a bold statement about my brand would be essential.

Oddjob

The folks at chivas do make some nice bottles. I am constantly surprised by how few companies value this. There has been times when the bottle has been the deciding factor for me in selecting booze, especially once the price is over $100. If I was launching a booze brand having a bottle that makes a bold statement about my brand would be essential.
Well have I got some pictures for you. It doesn't get more bougie than this.

I think we can all guess what shape the bottle would be ?

Oddjob

So I cracked some other randoms last night to get me through a long week of sobriety.

All of them were good. The Starward was ok for a cheapish Aussie whiskey. I strongly prefer Glenlivet to Glenfiddich, but I'm also a slut for interesting whiskies so I'm interested in the Glenfiddich experiment series and the IPA cask was good, especially for the price I picked it up for from Aldi. Finally, the Púca was very good, a lighter but delicious style.

But wait there's more. I made the mistake of stepping into Dan Murphy's Mosman, and had a significant loss of control.

Hallelujah! The Morris was a revelation! Finished in Rutherglen port casks and easily the best Aussie whiskey I can remember. Even my wife thought it was as delicious as Glenfarclas, high praise indeed. The Kyoto whiskey was an absolutely gorgeous bottle with a cloth label. The whiskey was very nice too, more complex than a lot of the cheaper Japanese whiskeys I've had recently. Would make for a stellar gift for a close friend.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The Morris is good whisky.

I didn't enjoy the IPA cask experiment. But I don't mind the Jameson IPA cask.

I haven't seen the purple Kyoto, but have seen a similar label in red. Didn't get a taste though. It was a cool idea.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@pink poodle Japan has just ditched negative interest rates (been in place since 2007), how much fucking whisky did you buy ??????

I think I brought them back from the brink of recession during jan-mar!

Their economy is in a lot of trouble. Wages haven't (really) grown in a long time. Due to external forces (various global fuel costs etc) prices are rising (some rapidly) and the yen has absolutely shit the bed over the last 4-6 months and their population sustainability issues.