While we’re at it, change the flag.

moorey

call me Mia
‘Our’ indigenous flag is without question, one of the most visually striking and easily recognisable flags in the world. I’m all for changing it to the national flag (possibility incorporating something with southern cross, though I hate how that’s been co-opted for both leftist and right wing agendas somehow).
Assuming indigenous people are happy with this. It’s not something I’ve brought up with friends and colleagues.
When we’re eventually free of the monarchy, the flag has to go IMHO. I’m from full UK ancestry, like I suspect the majority on here are. I have no problem with that, but I feel absolutely no allegiance, and can’t see why we would consider keeping the current flag, other than pandering to boomers, red necks and monarchists.
Flame suit on.

moorey

call me Mia
Given NZ had a referendum that cost $NZ2Xm to hold and there was no consensus to change, I really can't see Aus changing the flag anytime soon
Yeah nah, that’s no reason not to consider it. It’s not the time right now. Tempers are already frayed, but soon.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Hard agree on in principle and the Union Jack has to go. Adopting the aboriginal flag in its place would be a bit disingenuous in my eyes though, I don’t think we really have any right to claim it for the nation.

Also agree that there’s fuck all chance of it happening unless it follows from Republican reform. As you say, the level of blind allegiance to certain flags/symbols like the Eureka flag means without starting from a consensus assumption for change it ain’t going nowhere.

moorey

call me Mia
Hard agree on in principle and the Union Jack has to go. Adopting the aboriginal flag in its place would be a bit disingenuous in my eyes though, I don’t think we really have any right to claim it for the nation.
Like I say, not speaking for indigenous people, and not assuming they’d want it. I’m just saying I think it represents Australia 100x better than what we have.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Yeah nah, that’s no reason not to consider it. It’s not the time right now. Tempers are already frayed, but soon.
Not saying Australia shouldn't try. I'm just putting forward the NZ exercise as to how difficult it can be to get agreement on an outcome.

moorey

call me Mia
Look at what we had to spend to even decide whether to even VOTE on marriage equality. It upset a few at the time. They got over it.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Like I say, not speaking for indigenous people, and not assuming they’d want it. I’m just saying I think it represents Australia 100x better than what we have.
Yep got that, sorry wasn’t meant to come across as a rebuff. Just that I think there is risk in “over correcting” (for lack of a better term) and appropriating something significant to First Nations people. In my mind this connects to the other thread re: the date too.

It may make white Australians feel like we’re being more inclusive by adopting the Aboriginal flag or Mabo Day but it seems to me like just colonising First Nations peoples’ history again.

Part of reconciliation is truth telling and honesty, and part of that should be allowing Aboriginal communities to have their own significant symbols and dates etc without us coming in and being like “yeah but we changed the date so we’re all good now right?? Happy Mabo Day wanna VB?”

Freediver

I can go full Karen
A big problem with the aboriginal flag is it's designer sold the copyright to WAM holdings a couple of years ago. If you want to use it for anything they're going to want you're money first.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought the aboriginal flag is privately owned and copyrighted so unless they pay billions to buy the rights I doubt you could use it.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
That's going to be a tougher one to sell than changing the date of a nation wide piss up.

I wonder how much of an issue there is with the status quo? How much does the indigenous community want to come under the same flag as the rest of us? How much fight are we going to get given that people couldn't let go of a cheese name? How much is it going to cost to replace all the cheap nylon flags we import from China by the container load year after year?

All sounds too hard to me. I'm tired just thinking about it.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Just hand the idea over to Ken Done. He'll come up with something fabulous.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
MS paint drawing of a cock and balls? Something about that feels very Ozzy to me.

Honestly, I think the current flag is a bit shit it I would love to start the process like nz have. It won’t be a quick process but we need to start thinking about it and weighing up options.

As reference, Canada only changed its flag in ‘65. Was shit beforehand and now it’s one of my favourites. Not sure how First Nation people feel about it but it can happen.