which wheels (650b) i give up cant decide

specialized32

Likes Bikes
hello

Im after some people that have these wheels or have ridden them to help me make up my mind. Currently i have a set of havens but want to go wider plus the rear hub has been rebuilt twice and on its last legs. So my list

CRC build stans flow ex ztr on pro 4 hubs

hopetech enduro on pro 4 hubs

sram roam 50

or really kill the bank and go

zelvy comp wheelset (funn hubs, have no experience with these but zelvy stands by these hubs) i would run 35mm front and 30mm rear on this set.

I weight 85kg and my riding style is aggressive trail but I want to gain more confidence on downhill corner speed, clearing the occasional jump. Obviously want them to be relatively light because where i ride there are also long stretches of narrow climbs.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Subscribed... same here.

I'll throw in the mix the DT Swiss EX1501 and XM1501.

Spank OOzy 295 too...

Lighter, pussier guy here, though. 64kg, trail riding. Riding an Anthem SX for you to have an idea.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
I've had versions of 3 of the listed wheel sets. (on both posts)

2 sets of the XM1501's one in 27.5" and one set in 29"
2 sets of Hope Pro 2 on flow ex, both in a 26" however
1 set of Zelvy 40mm 27.5 on Hope Pro2 Evo

I really like the DT Swiss wheels a lot. I have just bought another set. The 2016 versions are available in several widths as well which the 2015 and earlier versions weren't. They are also substantially lighter that all the other listed suggestions.

The 27.5 hope/stans or hope/hope sets are over 2kgs whereas the XM1501's are under 1600grams. Even the ex1501's are under 1800grams.

I also currently have a set of the 40mm Zelvy's but I have smashed 2 rear rims so far, and while the crash replacement discount is good you are still looking at over $300 for a rim and wheel rebuild. Mine also get scratched a lot from rock strikes, even with me running 2.5WT minions on them. I'm not sure I would buy another set. (and I like carbon stuff)

I don't have much bad to say re the Hope/Flow option bar the weight I guess. The rims possibly may be a little soft but they can be straightened out pretty easily if you do ding one.

I also have a set of the Crossmax Enduros in a 27.5 on another bike and they seem pretty good but the rear rim is very narrow. People will moan about the proprietary spokes etc but I have never had any issues with them, or Mavic themsleves on a previous occasion where I broke an earlier Crossmax hub flange.

In my opinion the EX1501 may be the best option all round, and is probably where my money would go, especially if you can get a good price from BikeDiscount or Bike24 etc on a set.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I'm a big fan of DT Swiss.

Have you considered the roval offerings? The Fattie wheels are 29mm/30mm internal (alloy/carbon). The aftermarket versions (and those on the elite models up) are hand built with DT spokes and hubs.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I looked into a set of wide wheels a few weeks back (just waiting on funds to proceed) and was looking at DT Swiss because I don't like noisy hubs...

I priced XM481 rims with DT350 hubs and comp spokes on bike24.com for about AU$600 delivered, and was going to get them built locally. The XM481 rim is 30mm internal and weighs only 490g, making the wheelset about 1900g sans rotors and cassette.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
can I throw spank oozy trail 295 into the mix. They are as wide as flow ex at 25mm internal, stiff and super light. The hubs roll fast.

I rate them over a previous hope/flow ex wheelset because 1. they are about 250 grams lighter 2. The rim seems more resistant to dints from square edge hits.

they will set you back between 650 and 750 depending if you go local or try and get them as cheap as possible from the internet somewhere.

DT swiss EX1501 were also on my shopping list but they ran close to 900 and seem to be similar in performance/weight.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/spank-oozy-trail-295-26-wheelset-review-2014.html

Quote:
Pinkbike's take:
bigquotes High-end carbon rim'd wheelsets are interesting to read about, no doubt about that, and we always look forward to riding a set of ultra expensive wheels that turn heads, but it's really hard to argue their case when you can pick up a set of sub-1,700 gram aluminum wheels for $599 USD, and they're reliable to boot. The Oozy Trail295s aren't flashy, and they're probably not going to make your riding buddies oooh and aaah like they would over a wheelset that costs four times as much, but they sure as hell make a lot of sense, don't they?- Mike Levy

Last edited:

specialized32

Likes Bikes
I never had considered the ex1501 or the xm481 to be honest I'm out of touch with DT's lineup. The rovals I excluded because I consider them almost a DT wheel but rebranded.

Thats the third time in the past month I have heard a Zelvy rim go caput. I know they have great crash replacement but I don't like the idea of forking out 300 every time you stuff them.

Today at my LBS I saw a pair of the new spank spoon 345 trail laced up to hope pro 4 hubs. No tyres but taped up these rims impressed me how light they were and seem to be good quality wasn't crash hot on the color blue rims with blue hubs, not my taste. Anybody had experience with these rims?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTB Wanabe

Likes Dirt
I also currently have a set of the 40mm Zelvy's but I have smashed 2 rear rims so far, and while the crash replacement discount is good you are still looking at over $300 for a rim and wheel rebuild. Mine also get scratched a lot from rock strikes, even with me running 2.5WT minions on them. I'm not sure I would buy another set. (and I like carbon stuff).
Out of curiosity, what pressure were you running? IMO, 35mm is as wide as I would recommend, maybe even 30mm if your riding in rocky areas unless your running 2.8" tyres. Carbon rims, although strong, don't like impacts with rocks. Running really low tyre pressures on rocky terrain or rough trails is a sure way to wreck your carbon rims.

The biggest issue with the 1501 wheels is the spares availability. When you damage a rim, where will you get another one from? Flows on Hopes with j pull spokes is a much loved combination for very good reason. They are strong, reliable and replacements are easy to source. Yeah, your carrying around a bit more weight, but if your worried about a couple of hundred grams in weight, then you might want to stick to XC. If you want to drop a bit of weight, perhaps look at a Syntace W35 rim with Hope hubs with J pull DT Swiss Competition spokes, but if your a lightweight <80kg maybe look at Aerolites or CX-Rays to drop some weight. Some pretty good reviews on them too.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Out of curiosity, what pressure were you running? IMO, 35mm is as wide as I would recommend, maybe even 30mm if your riding in rocky areas unless your running 2.8" tyres. Carbon rims, although strong, don't like impacts with rocks. Running really low tyre pressures on rocky terrain or rough trails is a sure way to wreck your carbon rims.

The biggest issue with the 1501 wheels is the spares availability. When you damage a rim, where will you get another one from? Flows on Hopes with j pull spokes is a much loved combination for very good reason. They are strong, reliable and replacements are easy to source. Yeah, your carrying around a bit more weight, but if your worried about a couple of hundred grams in weight, then you might want to stick to XC. If you want to drop a bit of weight, perhaps look at a Syntace W35 rim with Hope hubs with J pull DT Swiss Competition spokes, but if your a lightweight <80kg maybe look at Aerolites or CX-Rays to drop some weight. Some pretty good reviews on them too.
Come May, Flows will come in 29mm internal and loose over 30g a hoop. Optimised for 2.35-2.8 tyres.

Thinking this will be a perfect upgrade for a carbonphobe for a light stiff rim.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Come May, Flows will come in 29mm internal and loose over 30g a hoop. Optimised for 2.35-2.8 tyres.

Thinking this will be a perfect upgrade for a carbonphobe for a light stiff rim.
Stuff it!

I'll wait for these or wait for 1501's to go on sale. The new 1501's is coming out soon too.

Any more news from Stan's? Any work done on Arch EX?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Stuff it!

I'll wait for these or wait for 1501's to go on sale. The new 1501's is coming out soon too.

Any more news from Stan's? Any work done on Arch EX?
Yep, crest, arch and flow all take the new profile. Arch and flow all take the new profile. Going up to 26mm internal, staying the same weight. Optimal tyre sizes 2.25-2.5

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse

Get a pair for me too please.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Yep, crest, arch and flow all take the new profile. Arch and flow all take the new profile. Going up to 26mm internal, staying the same weight. Optimal tyre sizes 2.25-2.5
Sounds about a perfect rim for me. Thanks!

Delazy

Got a new bike!
On the topic of wheels...100% certain I am going to build a pair of wheels with the flow mk3 rims...but what hubs? Dtswiss 350 can be found for $300 while the hopes are forever popular...looking at value for money options ruling out chris King etc...suggestions?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
On the topic of wheels...100% certain I am going to build a pair of wheels with the flow mk3 rims...but what hubs? Dtswiss 350 can be found for $300 while the hopes are forever popular...looking at value for money options ruling out chris King etc...suggestions?
Just go Hope, too easy.