Which tyres do you prefer and why

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Yeah IRC Missiles, the go to tyre back then, I got the used hand me downs from my older brothers to go and rip skids with in the park.... Has a bit of Assegai about it...hmmm

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What did you love? The lack of braking grip or the lack of lateral grip? Or, like me, the amazing credibility they gave?
When 2.1s were the standard size I thought they were epic in 2.35, but for some reason I could never get the wire bead to run tubeless. Probably because in 2008 I had nfi about tubeless .

In other news, if you buy Vittoria tyres from the distributor GKA and sign up to their newsletter you get a 30% discount immediately. $70 per tyre, I'll see if they turn up.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
What did you love? The lack of braking grip or the lack of lateral grip? Or, like me, the amazing credibility they gave?
When 2.1s were the standard size I thought they were epic in 2.35, but for some reason I could never get the wire bead to run tubeless. Probably because in 2008 I had nfi about tubeless .
Getting a Larsen working in a DIY tubeless would be an impressive win.

Weight savings on the sidewalls is an old trick and the Larsen was pretty thin there. It wasn't super for punctures on the tread side either.
Still a quick tyre and you can run them backwards for added coolness.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The old backward Maxxis trick, I know guys who still think this is a thing. Yep, armchair expert vs tyre engineer - totally run them backwards. o_O
Running a light duty Larsen for other types of riding would worry me more. Running one on chunky trails must lead to sadness regardless which way it is facing.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I have never heard of some of these tyres.
Can the pensioners please post some pics of the old tread patterns.
We all used to buy Maxxis before they were Maxxis...Cheng Shin Tire Co.
Some other notable tires that have been lost in the time vault were Tioga Factory DH, Onza Porc's, Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo and the Mighty Nokian Gazzoloddi, a 3 inch wide 26er DH tire

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
We all used to buy Maxxis before they were Maxxis...Cheng Shin Tire Co.
Some other notable tires that have been lost in the time vault were Tioga Factory DH, Onza Porc's, Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo and the Mighty Nokian Gazzoloddi, a 3 inch wide 26er DH tire
The Gazzoloddi's did look huge, even by today's standards.

I loved the Factory DH and went through a few of those. Big bag and great traction until they got a bit blunt.

Cheng Shin FTW :)