Which tyres do you prefer and why

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I've got to say I do prefer an Ardent on the rear to the Aggressor I'm running at the moment.

Corners just as well, just as fast, but more grip in a straight line, stopping and going.
I had an Ardent with an HRII on the front for a while (not by choice, just came on a bike I bought secondhand). Seemed to work well.

I've only tried one Aggressor size (a 26" in 2.3) but didn't rate it. Didn't seem to stand out in any way, and in the wet it was hopeless.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
You are man for great courage and bike handling skills :) I bet Ardent's on both wheels must have went like hell.

Ardents remind me a bit of an ye old snakebelly.
I grew up in ye-ole 2.1 max width times. It was a better combo than Ardent front and Crossmark rear.

I never picked up on the snakebelly but agree. Now I think of it the DJ has Ardent 2.25 front and a proper snakebelly rear.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I grew up in ye-ole 2.1 max width times. It was a better combo than Ardent front and Crossmark rear.

I never picked up on the snakebelly but agree. Now I think of it the DJ has Ardent 2.25 front and a proper snakebelly rear.

A 2.1 should be enough for anybody :)
I haven't seen a Crossmark for a while but remember that they were a bit of a puncture magnet for some people. Also liked the Maxxis Larsen and still have one on the GT but it will find any puncture in a 5m radius.

I prefer a fast tyre on the rear that has a bit of traction but not too much. When you are sitting down or climbing then my gravity assisted lard arse will provide more traction anyhow. Fancy tread compounds not needed :)

The Panaracer Smoke was an all time classic but the Dart was evil, especially if loose sand was anywhere close.

A good set of tyres is the cheapest bang for buck upgrade bar none.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yes, hard agree..
Larsen TT’s were the best for general fucking around, urban assault tire…Why did Maxxis ever stop making them?
Csn speculate that it had something to do with Mr Larsen passing away or growth in big tyred 'Bro bikes?

They are a very quick tyre and never seemed to get gunked up with mud easily.

I really love the Holy Roller too.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
A 2.1 should be enough for anybody :)
I haven't seen a Crossmark for a while but remember that they were a bit of a puncture magnet for some people. Also liked the Maxxis Larsen and still have one on the GT but it will find any puncture in a 5m radius.

I prefer a fast tyre on the rear that has a bit of traction but not too much. When you are sitting down or climbing then my gravity assisted lard arse will provide more traction anyhow. Fancy tread compounds not needed :)

The Panaracer Smoke was an all time classic but the Dart was evil, especially if loose sand was anywhere close.

A good set of tyres is the cheapest bang for buck upgrade bar none.
Yeah Crossmark used to pinch flat on the regular, mainly on Rollercoaster at Stromlo, one time a mate and I pinched within about 2m of each other there.

I have Smoke/Dart resissues on the Mongoose, on flow stuff (Breakout, Skyline at Stromo) I'm only 5-10% slower than my Bronson! The Dart is not bad if you know what to expect, and keep it on the smooth line. That said I will likely go Smoke/Smoke on that bike and move the Dart and another Smoke to the 89 Jackaroo now I have some spares. Then again the Maxxis Hookworms on it are bloody great on smooth stuff.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I have Smoke/Dart resissues on the Mongoose, on flow stuff (Breakout, Skyline at Stromo) I'm only 5-10% slower than my Bronson! The Dart is not bad if you know what to expect, and keep it on the smooth line. That said I will likely go Smoke/Smoke on that bike and move the Dart and another Smoke to the 89 Jackaroo now I have some spares. Then again the Maxxis Hookworms on it are bloody great on smooth stuff.
I have had an OTB with the Darts when you turn just little bit off your line in sand and it is all over. Smoke/Smoke worked well for me and were the first 'real' tyres on my first bike. A huge difference and easily outclassed the factory Cheng Shin Maxxis tyres. The DHR2 also seem to have a bit of Smoke DNA in there too IMHO.

I haven't tried the Hookworm but it sure looks to be solid tyre. I did have the Maxxis Wormdrive semi slicks on once but they seemed to attract punctures too.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I have had an OTB with the Darts when you turn just little bit off your line in sand and it is all over. Smoke/Smoke worked well for me and were the first 'real' tyres on my first bike. A huge difference and easily outclassed the factory Cheng Shin Maxxis tyres. The DHR2 also seem to have a bit of Smoke DNA in there too IMHO.

I haven't tried the Hookworm but it sure looks to be solid tyre. I did have the Maxxis Wormdrive semi slicks on once but they seemed to attract punctures too.
I got that totally arse about, I have Hookworms on the electric board tracker and Wormdrive on the Jackaroo. Hookworms would only be good on smooth hardpack, they are great on tarmac with 50psi.

Wormdrives roll really quick but I've only taken them on quite smooth stuff at the Arboretum, they still hooked up nice in the corners and I managed 3:09 on the super scary -2% 37m elevation drop descent known as Half a Walnut, Bronson got 3:04. Should put some tubeless Ardents on Jackaroo and bust out some real fast runs :D

Can confirm you fast bastard
Skyline is about the limit of going fast on that thing, it's a few seconds per minute slower than modern bikes, but take it on something mildy bumpy like Doube D and that blows out to 10+ seconds per min.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Skyline is about the limit of going fast on that thing, it's a few seconds per minute slower than modern bikes, but take it on something mildy bumpy like Doube D and that blows out to 10+ seconds per min.
I remember chasing you down Breakout on the Revel and couldn't catch you. Fat knobbly tyres not crucial through there..

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I got that totally arse about, I have Hookworms on the electric board tracker and Wormdrive on the Jackaroo. Hookworms would only be good on smooth hardpack, they are great on tarmac with 50psi.

Wormdrives roll really quick but I've only taken them on quite smooth stuff at the Arboretum, they still hooked up nice in the corners and I managed 3:09 on the super scary -2% 37m elevation drop descent known as Half a Walnut, Bronson got 3:04. Should put some tubeless Ardents on Jackaroo and bust out some real fast runs :D

I did like the Wormdrive too and they did go well considering that they are fairly smooth. Good sideknobs saves the day.
You don't really need a tractor tyre looking tread on the centre of a tyre for most trail riding IMHO. The Wormdrives are a thin tyre though.

I think your uber bike skillz make the difference :D

RastaRuss

Likes Dirt
I ride the Bontrager XR4 (front) & the XR3 on my. Carbonda FM 936 (just rolls off the tongue) as trail / marathon set up.
Pretty light weight considering & good grip.
Did the Dragon Trail with them on XM421, mounted to a Norco Optic 2020

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I ride the Bontrager XR4 (front) & the XR3 on my. Carbonda FM 936 (just rolls off the tongue) as trail / marathon set up.
Pretty light weight considering & good grip.
Did the Dragon Trail with them on XM421, mounted to a Norco Optic 2020
Had that combo on my Fuel and they were a decent riding tyre but not particularly sturdy thus the light weight, ended up with a massive sidewall tear in one.

RastaRuss

Likes Dirt
Actually, my current fave is a 2.4” Mazza on front ( basically a 2.4 DHF) & a 2.4” Dissector on the back.
Great traction & rolls pretty good

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, I pinch flatted a tubeless XR3 once.
Yep, I've ruined 2 in 2 months. It's a pity there aren't many good alternatives around which are in stick.
#maxxishater

Edit
Seems like Vittoria are back in stock, don't mind me

Last edited: