Which rattle can for frame painting

nathanm

Eats Squid
Looks like this hasn't been covered for a few years so starting a new thread as Moorey love it when I do this.

So I'm looking at doing a vaccuum cleaner strawberry jam job on a crappy old frame i've bought for no other reason than it sounds like fun, i'm bored and need a project.

The frame has already been raw'd so that's the hard work done but I really can't be bothered going to the time and expense of going automotive primer, colour and clearcoat. Was considering 2 pack but not worth the time and expense for a shitty old frame that probably will never be built.

All the Youtubers seem to be putting in a lot of time and expense with their paint jobs which would be worthwhile for a modern quality bike, not this cheap old 2000's dj frame.

What has everyone used and is it worth going something like this that I can just lather on and clear coat?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Epoxy enamel is a strong paint, I sprayed it on my 4wd diffs and it's the only thing that's lasted more than 10 years, done the chassis in plain enamel, it looks faded and chips off real easy.

thepotatokid

Likes Dirt
SprayBike paint does a great job, and isn’t much more expensive than Bunnings spray paint. They have a distributor in Melbourne IIRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RealizE

Likes Bikes
Raw is the best finish; buy a can of clear coat and call it done!

Alternatively, this stuff is really good at sticking to almost anything. No primer etc required.

*edit: ^ Probably not what you want if you want a glossy clear coat finish, but will give a good result if you want a 5minute satin job.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
order spraybike spraybike link, melb based..ps why you’re there grab a tracklocross frame set

radhaus in brunswick has done some cool stuff with these paints, have some wicked colours- purple ‘pink ‘ tangerine ...top coats wax, primer if you need it

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Call around some powdercoaters for a price, there's one here called Edwardstown Powder Coaters in SA and the bloke was shooting frames for $30 a few years back If he was doing the colour for another job.
Used to charge me $50 for a BMX frame, forks and handlebars.

My IndyFab has been done twice since I got it, this is a different place called HWH, the Russian guy who owns it is absolutely anal about his paint jobs, acid etched and everything before powder, he only charges me $70 for a MTB frame.

Rattle cans are around ~$12-$17 each for primer, paint and clear.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
order spraybike spraybike link, melb based..ps why you’re there grab a tracklocross frame set
I stumbled across this product today while researching (yes I actually did this) how to repaint a child's bike. It looks like pretty decent stuff. My daughter got upset because she's getting her brother's 24" bike and it's not pink. So I'm thinking a full strip down (with the new bike stand!) and a repaint is in order!

If the results are pleasing then maybe I'll consider repainting the Ragley in the future! I've always had a soft spot for my first mountain bike's colour - gloss black frame and fluro yellow forks and Girvin Flexstem!

moorey

call me Mia
Looks like this hasn't been covered for a few years so starting a new thread as Moorey love it when I do this.

So I'm looking at doing a vaccuum cleaner strawberry jam job on a crappy old frame i've bought for no other reason than it sounds like fun, i'm bored and need a project.
Did you try the @Minlak thread?

treble

Likes Dirt
I painted a runaround bike with Bunnings epoxy enamel a while back - I think it was the Rustoleum one. It was pretty durable and had a nice finish. Wasn’t the quality of OEM paint jobs, but pretty nice. That spraybike stuff looks like it’s worth a go though.

ausdb

Being who he is
My daughter got upset because she's getting her brother's 24" bike and it's not pink.
I feel your pain, my miss 5 is refusing to learn to ride her bike until it's repainted "cotton candy" pink and blue....
Check out ETOE on youtube for some good tutorials on home paint jobs. Like everyone says it's all in the prep you put in before you start spraying.
When I did my sons bike last year I thought about using spray bike cans and read somewhere the spraybike cans are actually made by Montana just slightly different formulation so it goes on a little thicker and dryer and you have less chance of runs.