Which Mobile service provider are you with.

Minlak

custom titis
$125 a month Optus plan. About $45-50 of that is phone payment as I usually get the flagship Samsung phone.
My plan is high so I can get free unlimited calls to mobiles/landlines in Ireland and UK.

Been with Optus for 20yrs apart from a 6 month mistake with Vodafail.

They usually look after me with a 4-6 month early swap over to the newest top end phone and waive the outstanding phone payments.

Funnily none of my details were compromised in their data theft.
They are doing you no favours for $30 a month or $300 for the year you could have the same

1673518782815.png

mark22

Likes Dirt
Boost you get Full Telstra 4G
Aldi you get cut down Telstra Network

I have one phone on each - We pay $45/mth for 2 services on Aldi for 22gb each shared and accrues
Boost we pay $300 for the year each service for 260gb

All unlimited calls and text
If you need full Telstra coverage not many/any 3rd parties have full network access. As indicated above.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
They are doing you no favours for $30 a month or $300 for the year you could have the same

View attachment 396127
Checked my account, I'm on a 80GB-$55 plan. So my handset payments this time are $69.99.

Some months I use around 10-15GB, other months when I head to my shack, I'm bouncing off the max 80GB hot spotting my boys and running Netflix on the TV. Even went over on several occasions and slowed down 1.5mbps for the remainder of the month.

As I said, I usually get the flagship phone, currently a S21 Ultra ($2k phone when released and still $1900 at JB HiFi) which is used as my only camera, its waterproof for sweaty or wet rides and its insured.

Tax time I claim 50% back for work purposes and at the 18month mark, the 'old' phone is usually sold for $600-$700... lucky I have a house of apple sluts who don't want Android.

Due a new one right now but got some shit going on that I don't need the hassle of loading new apps again.

I had issues a few years back with alarms and notifications not working and still notifying me when they were turned off.
An IT mate told me he used to 'smart switch' (Android) older Apple phones to new apple phones in a company of 400 phones and they had constant issues, when they did fresh installs, the problems went away.
Its an easy transfer to smart switch to your new phone but the operating systems are different/new and apps don't like the old shit transferred over... making apps do strange stuff.
The only thing I transfer is my contacts straight from Google.

I've looked at most other options and my way is still the best or at least most cost effective way to get a new top end phone, decent data allowance that I use and my overseas phone calls.

Minlak

custom titis
Checked my account, I'm on a 80GB-$55 plan. So my handset payments this time are $69.99.

Some months I use around 10-15GB, other months when I head to my shack, I'm bouncing off the max 80GB hot spotting my boys and running Netflix on the TV. Even went over on several occasions and slowed down 1.5mbps for the remainder of the month.

As I said, I usually get the flagship phone, currently a S21 Ultra ($2k phone when released and still $1900 at JB HiFi) which is used as my only camera, its waterproof for sweaty or wet rides and its insured.

Tax time I claim 50% back for work purposes and at the 18month mark, the 'old' phone is usually sold for $600-$700... lucky I have a house of apple sluts who don't want Android.

Due a new one right now but got some shit going on that I don't need the hassle of loading new apps again.

I had issues a few years back with alarms and notifications not working and still notifying me when they were turned off.
An IT mate told me he used to 'smart switch' (Android) older Apple phones to new apple phones in a company of 400 phones and they had constant issues, when they did fresh installs, the problems went away.
Its an easy transfer to smart switch to your new phone but the operating systems are different/new and apps don't like the old shit transferred over... making apps do strange stuff.
The only thing I transfer is my contacts straight from Google.

I've looked at most other options and my way is still the best or at least most cost effective way to get a new top end phone, decent data allowance that I use and my overseas phone calls.
Yes but that is a different story than you posted above - If this had been posted I would have not commented :)

ozzybmx

On the second post you gave a complete story with Tax costs and data usage - your original post suggested to me OS calls were the main reason for the plan
I didnt need to give the long winded version straight up.

Usually pretty astute with what I pay for, didn't realise anyone was going to question my choice ;)

Minlak

custom titis
I didnt need to give the long winded version straight up.

Usually pretty astute with what I pay for, didn't realise anyone was going to question my choice ;)
Well I feel you did need to give the whole story - Seeing as OP was asking for better options and you told half a story that did not reflect a true cost nor the true need for your service - that dramatically!! <-- with 2 exclamation marks - alters the context of your answer.

Helping your uncle Jack with his horse it is crucial to have context and correct punctuation :)

ozzybmx

Well I feel you did need to give the whole story - Seeing as OP was asking for better options and you told half a story that did not reflect a true cost nor the true need for your service - that dramatically!! <-- with 2 exclamation marks - alters the context of your answer.

Helping your uncle Jack with his horse it is crucial to have context and correct punctuation :)
The gist of the story was 20yrs with Optus.

I get 5G in many places that dont get or badly get Telstra.

The only 2 places on this land that have caught me out with Optus is Derby town area... can still get txt and signal on Kingswall and higher, occasionally get a random txt in the town.
The other is Wilpena on the Mawson trail, we get 4G in Blinman which has bad Telstra but a bit of a black spot in Wilpena, the rest of the Mawson is good.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

Helping your uncle Jack off his horse it is crucial to have context and correct punctuation :)
FIFY. Correct words are handy too :)

ausdb

Being who he is
Boost you get Full Telstra 4G
Aldi you get cut down Telstra Network

I have one phone on each - We pay $45/mth for 2 services on Aldi for 22gb each shared and accrues
Boost we pay $300 for the year each service for 260gb

All unlimited calls and text
I changed to Boost a few months back from an Optus MVNO. I found a deal on Ozbargain and got office works to price match so only about $240 for the 260GB sim. The main reason was Telstra full network had the best 4G coverage in the Perth Hills where I ride.

Last edited:

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Belong. Uses telstra network. Paying 25 a month 20gb which can be banked
Discussion ends here. I use Belong and have been for 5 years.$30/month. Have banked over 500 gb. I don't stream; mainly text, email and phone calls. Only works in Australia.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I'm on the belong plan.
Recently I have started to get 5g where coverage is available...
It's faster than my 50mbs broadband

link1896

Mr Greenfield
If you can deal with a one off payment, Telstra prepaid has a $300 365 day 200gb prepaid plan. Has been a 5G testing phase that ends Jan 31st Jan. I have seen speeds north of 600mbps, lucky the testing pilot program for 5G doesn’t count towards data usage. I could have used this when working from home in 2021, the 4G network was so congested, I had full signal strength and couldn’t make calls or get >1mbps during business hours, and nbn was absolutely fucking useless too.

For the home, Telstra’s 5G nbn alternative is $85 a month, 1TB download allowance, 350mbps typical download speeds. If in a 5G area, and you don’t need masses of data, it’s getting close to viable. TPG resells this product too at $65 a month for 100mbps unlimited downloads.

shanno89

Likes Dirt
I have Aldi Mobile which uses the Telstra network. I pay $35 prepaid a month for 42gb which is rolled over if I don't use it (currently have a bank of 350gb), plus unlimited calls to 20 countries. If you want cheaper, you pay $25 a month for 22gb which is also rolled over.
5G options are $55 month for 60gb.