Where's Creaky?

AaronJ

Likes Dirt
So I have a phantom creek that is making my bike not enjoyable.

Details:
  • 2017 Ripley LS
  • Oval chain ring
  • SRAM XX1 derailleur (assume same age as bike)
  • Creak coming from the rear of the bike and roughly in time cadence (i.e. not what gear, not wheel/speed, not suspension movement)
  • So far, to no effect, I have tried - swapped out chain, removed/cleaned/greased, jockey wheels and cassette, put some silicone lube on all the derailleur pivot points
  • I struggle to replicate it off the bike or with it on the stand.
  • Its a real ratcheting type of creak, like friction, something not lubed.
My gut feel is its coming from the derailleur clutch. Its the only other moving part I can think of.

I cant find online if its serviceable or if I can lube it somehow, or is it sealed?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Flow-Rider

Burner
You should be able to replicate a RD clutch creak by moving it with your hand, maybe a rear axle or something with the cassette or freehub interface or linkage bushing or bearing.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Oval chainring working against the clutch was wiggling my derailleur hanger mount on every pedal stroke, was driving me insane for weeks months.

I stripped that bike countless times, change BB's, pulled bearings out of hubs.... everything.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
If you're getting a creak that you can't replicate in the stand and it's timed with cadence, I'd be looking at BB, crank, crank bolts, pedals to start with. And maybe the freehub, noting you said you cleaned/greased the cassette, but it's possible to get dust working its way in to make the freehub a bit creaky, depending on the specific hub.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
@leitch beat me to it - was going to suggest BB as well. It might feel like it spins ok in the stand, then you put some load on it and away it squawks.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Good question. I always start with seat and seatpost
Me too these days after a few expeditions that ended in seat rails needing a clean and tighten.

Sound can be hard tp pinpoint and can seem like its coming from around that back wheel when really its much closer…

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I've be looking at the BB area too. If it's BSA has it been chased and faced? If it's press fit get some good earbuds.

Could also be dropper post or saddle as your butt moves on the pedal strokes.

Best to get on a stationary roller and get someone to listen while you pedal.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Can be headset too. As your body moves around on the bike in time with your pedalling cadence, wracking through the handlebar can generate noise if the headset is tired or loose.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Have you checked the suspension linkages / pivots. Maybe some lateral play when pedaling that doesn't show with vertical movement.

AaronJ

Likes Dirt
Thanks all. Too many replies to tackle each/all.

As mentioned in the orig post, its at the back of the bike. Nothing to do with BB, cranks, pedals, headset, etc.

So I had a play tonight and did get it it replicate. If i grab the lower pully on the derailleur and gently move it in/out a mm or 5, towards/away from the wheel, it does it. Doesn't go it moving it forwards/back, but it does feel grabby in the clutch.

As I lubed all the derailleur pivots and the jockey wheels, it surely has to be either clutch or the derailleur mount bolt/hanger.

I'll check the mount bolt/hanger tomorrow, but still curious if anyone has any advise re the clutch being serviceable?

EDIT: just found this Youtube vid that does the same as mine: