Where to get larger quantitities of Dot 5.1 cheap and is there much difference in quality

nathanm

Eats Squid
Why/how do you go through so much brake fluid ?
Tinkering with older bikes and older brakes probably.
I always thought Hayes 9 were the pinnacle for modern hydraulic braking systems and run them on all my bikes.

But in honesty, I do tinker with plenty of avid/sram brakes do a bunch of servicing for people as well as help out at the local bike collective and give away plenty of fluid. Once ive cracked a bottle I like to use it quickly. I reckon most of us current or ex race/rally guys know the importance of braking systems and use the highest quality stuff we can put into our mechanical toys, or at least should be.

Personally I actually hate the stuff, gimme Shimano Mineral Oil everyday of the week.

Last edited:

ausdb

Being who he is
One of the old photography home development tricks for air sensitive fluids is to drop marbles in your container as you use it to get the fluid level back to the top, squeeze the container to get the fluid to the very brim and put the lid back on.
Or what about one of the old concertina bottles that you could get as well.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
My fastest recorded top speed on a bicycle is 93.6km/h, this and my top five fastest speeds were all on "the bike with the skinny tyres that shall not be named". The top descent in question was 14.55km and dropped 820vm and I had no issues with brake fade. My "that's why he wore the brown pants" moment was a 67.7km/h top speed descent on the fat bike with probably 12kg of bike packing gear strapped on, it was 11km and 67vm. Brakes on that bike have now been upgraded to DH spec.

Flow-Rider

Burner
My fastest recorded top speed on a bicycle is 93.6km/h, this and my top five fastest speeds were all on "the bike with the skinny tyres that shall not be named". The top descent in question was 14.55km and dropped 820vm and I had no issues with brake fade. My "that's why he wore the brown pants" moment was a 67.7km/h top speed descent on the fat bike with probably 12kg of bike packing gear strapped on, it was 11km and 67vm. Brakes on that bike have now been upgraded to DH spec.
Is that you Coke? :p

1678360485285.png

slowmick

38-39"
Can/should you mix Dot 5.1 fluids?

I bought a cheap set of Hayes Dominions early in the year that I plan to install after Christmas. I assume they have Hayes fluid in them. Should I get more Hayes fluid to bleed them or get a bottle of Castrol and either use that for the bleed or use it to push the Hayes fluid out and fill the system with Castrol? These are a first non Shimano brakes I have played with. Having never used two syringes to bleed before I see a confession in the new year.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out

I bought a cheap set of Hayes Dominions early in the year that I plan to install after Christmas. I assume they have Hayes fluid in them. Should I get more Hayes fluid to bleed them or get a bottle of Castrol and either use that for the bleed or use it to push the Hayes fluid out and fill the system with Castrol? These are a first non Shimano brakes I have played with. Having never used two syringes to bleed before I see a confession in the new year.
Yes, done it loads of times. Even poured the last of a bottle of green Dot 5.1 into a partly used bottle of red Dot 5.1.

Have used numerous different brands over the years.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
can mix 5.1 with 3 and 4 (all glycol based), but not with 5 (silicone based)...

main difference is in the boiling points, but moisture absorption (old fluid) will bring numbers down a fair bit.. how hot do those calipers actually get?

better to flush fully to have fresh fluid, rather than mix new fluid with old watery fluid...
1702293554638.png

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

DOT gradings are automotive industry based and not specifically bike industry. As noted in a previous post, DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 are variations of the same polyglycol base and can be mixed/substituted. Higher DOT rating brings higher boiling point of the fluid, but also an increasngly voracious appetite for water absorption, so the stuff needs to be replaced more frequently. DOT 5 is a totally different chemical base and not compatible with DOT 3, 4 or 5.1.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy

Hayes relies on a crazy tight fitting of the bleed fitting into the caliper and lever. If you don’t have a Hayes kit when hooking it all up give an extra little nudge to ensure it is locked in or risk pulling air into the system. Why they didn’t rely on an o-ring like others and have a taper bore instead.

Also 20 litres of brake fluid here @nathanm but Dot 4

Flow-Rider

Burner
Hayes relies on a crazy tight fitting of the bleed fitting into the caliper and lever. If you don’t have a Hayes kit when hooking it all up give an extra little nudge to ensure it is locked in or risk pulling air into the system. Why they didn’t rely on an o-ring like others and have a taper bore instead.

Also 20 litres of brake fluid here @nathanm but Dot 4

The biggest mistake people make with taper fit is not lubing the threads and doing the fitting up and loosening it a few times before the final tightening. The automotive industry has used this system for years with no problems