Where to get larger quantitities of Dot 5.1 cheap and is there much difference in quality

nathanm

Eats Squid
I unfortunately go through a decent amount of dot 5.1 fluid and sort of getting some sort of automotive trade account is there someone to source it cheap? Given its short shelf life I can't buy large 5l containers of the stuff but would be useful to source say a dozen 500ml/1litre containers.

Also is there much difference between the $15 supercheap bottles and the $40 bendix bottles?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Repco in Tassie ?

We get 20% off here in SA with our RAA membership... its a fair bit when buying car stuff.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Repco in Tassie ?

We get 20% off here in SA with our RAA membership... its a fair bit when buying car stuff.
Nah they recently "rebranded" their own stuff and jacked the price up to $42 litre. More expensive than Bendix at retail. 20% off helps but still Supercheap stuff is supercheaper.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Also is there much difference between the $15 supercheap bottles and the $40 bendix bottles?
I think brake fluid is one of those things that the budget brands are fine for - there is a pretty strict standard and they all have to meet it. I've certainly used a lot of repco and super cheap brand fluids over the years in cars with no ill effects for what its worth...

nathanm

Eats Squid
But you have SRAM brakes?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
touche

I think the advantage will be lost in a bicycle braking system - its designed to improve on DOT 4 in automotive racing. Happy to be corrected, but cant see us getting the fluid hot enough to get close to the limits of DOT 4 in bikes.

You haven't seen 130kgs of me trying to go down Maydena dragging the brakes from top to bottom.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Not necessarily but I always like to go higher than recommended.
Dot 4 Castrol brand is one of the best brake fluids you could ever buy, unless you need Dot 5.1 specifically for a car or motorbike it's fine to use on any mountain bike. You can buy the large 4 liter bottles and then refill 1 liter bottles so that it lasts longer, once you open the bottle and add an air pocket, it absorbs moisture and goes off. When the automotive stores have sales you can usually pick up 4 liters for around $35.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
You haven't seen 130kgs of me trying to go down Maydena dragging the brakes from top to bottom.
Yeah, but I would still be surprised if the difference of 230 to 250 degrees boiling point is relevant. You'll be getting smoking brake pad fade on purple rotors before the fluid goes.

Dunno, I've not ran out of brakes too often as they usually start howling as a warning to stop before they go completely into fade. If the fluid boiled you'd certainly know about it I imagine with a rock hard lever and probably blown seals.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Anyhoo, no help as to your actual question :) I've always had DOT 4 lying around for use in cars, so just used that. Still have had the dodgy Guide levers fail and replaced under warranty twice... The last time they insisted on fitting for me, so no idea what fluid is in there now!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
touche

What laundry powder do you use to deal with these big skid marks?

There is a variety of systems available to preserve wine from the negative impacts of oxygen, perhaps one of those may be your brake fluid saviour?

Freediver

I can go full Karen

There is a variety of systems available to preserve wine from the negative impacts of oxygen, perhaps one of those may be your brake fluid saviour?
It's not the O2 thats the problem, it's the humidity that the fluid absorbs which lowers its boiling point.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It's not the O2 thats the problem, it's the humidity that the fluid absorbs which lowers its boiling point.
Yes, but is that not coming from the air inside the bottle once it is open? I'm shit at science, so could be a long way off. Argon gas is one of the wine savers I was thinking of. It creates a protective layer etc over the wine.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Yes, but is that not coming from the air inside the bottle once it is open? I'm shit at science, so could be a long way off. Argon gas is one of the wine savers I was thinking of. It creates a protective layer etc over the wine.
I hadn't come across these. You might be onto something .

Flow-Rider

Burner

I haven't seen them for years but PBR used to sell brake fluid in wine casks with the silver bladder, maybe some wineo had a swig of one.