where for art thou good tyres?

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Anyone got leads and or recommendations on a new front tyre or f/r combo?

Riding south Sydney rocky sandstone trails. Tech XC mostly, but prefer to hammer the downs and chill on the ups.
(Edit: I say XC to give an idea of the trails. No super long alpine decents, or massive bermed huck fests. But I want to run trail/AM/ Enduro tyres for grip and to not get flats because of my hacky line choices.)

Been running some Hutchinson Griffus RLAB 2.4 front and rear since I built up the Banshee Prime. Nice tyres so far, and have not found the grip lacking when I properly load the front end, but the rear is wearing, and I want a new tyre to swap in whenever I think it's gone too far.
Ideally I'd grab a 2.5 29" Griffus for the front and call it a day. But can't find these anywhere?

So looking for leads on a Griffus front, or a different front tyre or maybe a combo. If talking maxxis (which seem to be the baseline), casing wise I'd be looking for at least exo+ front, probably a DD rear. Not sure what other brands call these sort of casing levels.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Michelin Rock R2 Enduro Front and Wild AM rear, they were on special with Bike Inn for $56AUD last month or maybe it was August I lost track due to the long shipping time.
Heaps more grip than Maxxis but probably won't last anywhere near as long, but that's what N+1 is all about, just change bikes!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Ordered a 2.5 DHF for the front and a 2.5 agressor DD for the rear. Loftus won’t know what hit it haha.

If you want something faster rolling I’d go a Dissector front with something like a Rekon or Ikon out back.

dirtdad

Michelin Rock R2 Enduro Front and Wild AM rear, they were on special with Bike Inn for $56AUD last month
Seem to be out of stock - can't find them.

Ordered a 2.5 DHF for the front and a 2.5 agressor DD for the rear. Loftus won’t know what hit it haha
Where'd you get these in stock? I may just go hit up the LBS and see what they have on the wall.
I'd probably stay with a 2.35 agressor though. Not sure how wide the 2.5 gets, and I already scrape the rear mudguard with every little stick and nut I pick up with my 2.4 that's currently on the back.

Loftus trails... we'll need 36er wheels soon to help roll over all the hikers at the moment.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The 2.5 Aggressor is pretty chonky width-wise. It's not like old Maxxis tyres where you could take .2 off the stated width.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Ordered a 2.5 DHF for the front and a 2.5 agressor DD for the rear. Loftus won’t know what hit it haha.
I do like my 2.5 DHF and 2.4 Ardent combo. I don't like really uber grippy rear tyres and prefer something that spins nicely.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Michelin Rock R2 Enduro Front and Wild AM rear, they were on special with Bike Inn for $56AUD last month or maybe it was August I lost track due to the long shipping time.
Heaps more grip than Maxxis but probably won't last anywhere near as long, but that's what N+1 is all about, just change bikes!
This is a fantastic combo and far better than DHF/Aggressor (I will cop it but I say this as a DHF user for around a decade). The RockR2 with the Magi-x compound is an insane cornering tyre in the dry and super calm feeling in jank. Grab them while you can because apparently they have been discontinued.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
This is a fantastic combo and far better than DHF/Aggressor (I will cop it but I say this as a DHF user for around a decade). The RockR2 with the Magi-x compound is an insane cornering tyre in the dry and super calm feeling in jank. Grab them while you can because apparently they have been discontinued.
Totally agree here. Haven't used the RockR2 but hands down the Wild Enduro F/R combo are the grippiest tyres I've ever had compared with multiple Maxxis/ Schwalbe/ Conti/ Bontrager combos I've tried in the past. There are some sections of trails I've only ever cleared on Wild Enduros. They won't win rolling resistance competitions though and are an arse to find in stock

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Seem to be out of stock - can't find them.

Where'd you get these in stock? I may just go hit up the LBS and see what they have on the wall.
I'd probably stay with a 2.35 agressor though. Not sure how wide the 2.5 gets, and I already scrape the rear mudguard with every little stick and nut I pick up with my 2.4 that's currently on the back.

Loftus trails... we'll need 36er wheels soon to help roll over all the hikers at the moment.
Chain reaction I think?
I’ve ordered a lot of bike parts from a lot of places recently. It’s all just become a blur.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Goodyear Newtons.

Pro: Faaast. Loves dusty, hardpack, sandy. Stiff sidewalls. DH casing a fairly small weight penalty over the EN stuff (which also seems tough enough).
Con: Not so good in the wet. More expensive than Maxxis (although they're getting cheaper - and unlike Michelins you'll actually be able to find some).

Will be trying some Goodyear Escapes (more of an XC tyre) on the single speed whenever I eventually get it going.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Totally agree here. Haven't used the RockR2 but hands down the Wild Enduro F/R combo are the grippiest tyres I've ever had compared with multiple Maxxis/ Schwalbe/ Conti/ Bontrager combos I've tried in the past. There are some sections of trails I've only ever cleared on Wild Enduros. They won't win rolling resistance competitions though and are an arse to find in stock
I will say the RockR2 is terrible in sticky mud and it flings up tons of gravel (mud guard required in the dry). The Wild Enduro is probably a better all rounder and probably works better in soft or loam, however the RockR2 is ridiculous in bone dry conditions where I previously would use a DHF.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They are just bonkers aren't they.

Seem to be out of stock - can't find them
Because they are in my garage!

Rears $63 plus post

dirtdad

Only 2.35 but at $60 it's a good deal (provided shipping isn't too bad).
Good sleuthing. Thanks.
USD$60 each and USD$28 to ship two tyres.
So about $100ea AUD landed.
Didn't see GST, but maybe they don't sell enough to AU to get caught up in it?

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't know, I've never used Cambria before. It's a pity you can't get front and rear at the same place and combine shipping.
I hadn't realised it was USD, I was supposed to be on the AU site which shows AUD... Sneaky fuckers.
At $60USD they are not cheap enough IMHO, but I love a bargain.