Where do you keep your Downhill Tracks?

AMBURGERS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
first of all... holy shit the tassy watering whole section is so crowded! :rolleyes:

well, sometime after christmas (will verify dates when i can remember) i'll be coming down to Tassie Hobart, as my dad will be doing the Melbourne to Hobart yaught race. and the rest of us will be going down to have a little holiday. Now istead of doing all the normal family stuff. i thought i might see if any tassieners would be able to show me around to some dh spots.

also, you will need: A car :)

Cheers, Angus

jrewing

Eats Squid
Got Ginger Ridge cut back and some of the pesky loose rocks moved. Have the last 200m to finish, but the best part is running, and I did work on the top half of Juggernaut into it as well. Be good for some locals to get on it.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
So are you after what is traditionally called a DH track, where it's a top to bottom trail with a road/chairlift to the top?

There's not that much in specific DH tracks in Tassie surprisingly.

There's "The Lea" in Hobart which the Dirt Devils club use for the occasional race. It is on private land so only can be used during club events.

Out at Glenorchy Mountain bike park there's the National DH track. This can be ridden any time but there's only access to the shuttle road during events and the trails over there haven't had much love in years so I'm not sure what condition it is in.

Then up north there's Paloona near lake Barrington. It also doesn't get much love these days but it is able to be shuttled at any time.

There's Wyena DH track north of Launceston which is on forestry land and I haven't heard of a race there for ages.

Other than that there's quite a few shuttleable trails around the state that are down hill but aren't what you would call a down hill course.

jrewing

Eats Squid
So are you after what is traditionally called a DH track, where it's a top to bottom trail with a road/chairlift to the top?

There's not that much in specific DH tracks in Tassie surprisingly.

There's "The Lea" in Hobart which the Dirt Devils club use for the occasional race. It is on private land so only can be used during club events.

Out at Glenorchy Mountain bike park there's the National DH track. This can be ridden any time but there's only access to the shuttle road during events and the trails over there haven't had much love in years so I'm not sure what condition it is in.

Then up north there's Paloona near lake Barrington. It also doesn't get much love these days but it is able to be shuttled at any time.

There's Wyena DH track north of Launceston which is on forestry land and I haven't heard of a race there for ages.

Other than that there's quite a few shuttleable trails around the state that are down hill but aren't what you would call a down hill course.
No i grave digged this thread to say Ginger Ridge is back from the dead. As it’s proper shuttable double black Dh, and when combined with the first good part of juggernaut is an epic descent. Just make sure you and your bike are up for it!

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
No i grave digged this thread to say Ginger Ridge is back from the dead. As it’s proper shuttable double black Dh, and when combined with the first good part of juggernaut is an epic descent. Just make sure you and your bike are up for it!
Ah right, good stuff.

Yeah Ginger Ridge has certainly got a bit going on. It's been ages since I was out Hollybank way

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
On one of my first riding trips to Tassie we spent a day shuttling Juggernaut in a motor home, my riding buddies were both XC so they weren't up for Ginger Ridge runs but I decided that I couldn't leave Hollybank without checking it out so on the last run for the day I peeled off and headed down it.

I was having a ball until I got just past the two or three big rock slabs and the track just disappeared under freshly logged trees for as far as the eye could see.

There was no way I could push back up the track, the rock slabs that I had just come down were near vertical and no way I could tell which way the track was supposed to go so I decided to try and make my way back to the shuttle road.

I scrambled through felled trees dragging my bike up and over logs as round as I am tall, all the while the light was fading, it was starting to get cold and I had no phone service and no maps.

Panic began to set in when I came to the end of the logged area and still I couldn't see the road, the only thing that saved me was being able find our earlier Juggernaut runs on my Garmin and pushing through until I ended up back on the track. I learnt quite a few valuable lessons that day, glad to hear that Ginger Ridge is running again.

jrewing

Eats Squid
On one of my first riding trips to Tassie we spent a day shuttling Juggernaut in a motor home, my riding buddies were both XC so they weren't up for Ginger Ridge runs but I decided that I couldn't leave Hollybank without checking it out so on the last run for the day I peeled off and headed down it.

I was having a ball until I got just past the two or three big rock slabs and the track just disappeared under freshly logged trees for as far as the eye could see.

There was no way I could push back up the track, the rock slabs that I had just come down were near vertical and no way I could tell which way the track was supposed to go so I decided to try and make my way back to the shuttle road.

I scrambled through felled trees dragging my bike up and over logs as round as I am tall, all the while the light was fading, it was starting to get cold and I had no phone service and no maps.

Panic began to set in when I came to the end of the logged area and still I couldn't see the road, the only thing that saved me was being able find our earlier Juggernaut runs on my Garmin and pushing through until I ended up back on the track. I learnt quite a few valuable lessons that day, glad to hear that Ginger Ridge is running again.
Geez I’ve been there diverting in fading light, thinking oh shit. Sleeping in a hollow tree came to mind haha