When do you think we will travel with the bike again?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
The all day drive from Adelaide and a good sleep while crossing is gold.
Yeah, night sail was well worth it in my book. Exxy but once you factor two fewer nights' accommodation, two fewer days' annual leave, and not having to sit on deck on the boat all day, it was an easy decision.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yeah, night sail was well worth it in my book. Exxy but once you factor two fewer nights' accommodation, two fewer days' annual leave, and not having to sit on deck on the boat all day, it was an easy decision.
Exactly, for a day sailing we have to either drive the day before and stay just outside Melbourne for the night or travel all night and try get a few hours on the boat. Then arrive late in Devonport and look for a campsite.

As you said, its a little bit more expensive but you save a few days travel/leave and get to sleep during the journey rather than spend 10 hours walking around a shitty boat ;)

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I'm also hoping for a miracle.

Still 8 weeks away but cant see SA changing their mind to let me drive through Victoria.

Tassie is happy for me cross the SA border and drive directly through Vic to the boat. SA wont let me do it on the return journey :(

Anyway, The Spirit of Tasmania is keeping my $2678 warm with a 100% refund if I cant make it.

We have not booked any campsites at all. Will just wing it and book ahead if we get there.
We ask you to please wear your masks. Not because of COVID or anything, just we've forgotten what smiles look like on this side of the border and might interpret your COVID-free happy-time travelling upturned mouth shapes as some kind of teeth-baring aggression and try and fight you. It's for your own safety really... :D

Haakon

Keeps on digging
If there is one rule for the ferry, its get a cabin. Even if you're travelling on your own, get the cabin! Second rule is bring your own food...

Ash HT

Likes Bikes
Thailand just opened up with one day Quarantine for vaccinated travelers.....:)

If you haven't ridden in Chiang mai Thailand stick it on your bucket list.

This time of the year is normally the ATV classic, a 16km downhill race from 1600m......and it finishes at a local whisky hut...super fun race.

ozzybmx

Quick question.

How stringent are the airlines with the internal flight baggage allowance of 23kg when its a bike bag ?

I have only travelled with a bike twice and both were International with a mega baggage allowance.

Got a Virgin flight to Launceston to ride Derby and St Helens for 7 days coming up in less than 4 weeks.

The checked baggage is 23kg max.

My Deviate weights 14,650g as it sits, the bike bag is 9070g, this is a total of 23.7kg and I would like to put my ~400g helmet in there too.

So I'll be around 24.1kg in the bike bag.

They have said excess baggage weight is $100 extra. I can take the front tyre off and drop the pedals in to my carry on luggage which will keep me under.

Don't really want slugged $100 in each direction for 1kg over.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The checked baggage is 23kg max.

My Deviate weight 14,650g as it sits, bike bag is 9070g, this is a total of 23.7kg and I would like to put my ~400g helmet in there too.

So I'll be around 24.1kg in the bike bag.
Hmmm, we can do the maf, y'hear.

Wear your helmet in the plane, hell people dress up as Batman for flights in the US and no one blinks an eyelid so you are covered. Put your pedals and maybe seat if you need a bit more fudge room in the carry on baggage and you are all sorted.

It is too late to take to Deviate with a dremel and a crazy look :)

ozzybmx

Hmmm, we can do the maf, y'hear.

Wear your helmet in the plane, hell people dress up as Batman for flights in the US and no one blinks an eyelid so you are covered. Put your pedals and maybe seat if you need a bit more fudge room in the carry on baggage and you are all sorted.
Good thinking Batman ! I'll pack my small Evoc backpack with pedals, seat, rotors and attach the helmet to the front of it. Then put the backpack inside the bike bag.

If I get hassled for weight, I'll remove the backpack and carry it. Pedals are nearly 400g and saddle is ~230g, rotors combined will be around 300g this will bring the weight down to just under the magic 23kg.

Then the Spiderman suit goes on over my shorts and tee.

Untitled.jpg

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Luckily I'm not flying to Tassie with Virgin!

We've got 30kg checked baggage. The bike bag I'm borrowing is apparently 11kg and the Katipo is going to be nudging 17.5. Looks like I'm going to be kitted up for the flight! :p

Can't you purchase more check in baggage allowance before the flight @ozzybmx ?

ozzybmx

Can't you purchase more check in baggage allowance before the flight @ozzybmx ?
I click on the additional baggage and it says call contact centre.

My flight is a supersaver, cost $218 return 8 months ago, Ade-Melb-Laun, then Laun-Melb-Ade on the way back :cool:

According to Virgin policy, looks like I may be able to call and get additional bag for $60. Then again we have to be careful with the amount bags as we're getting picked up by one of the Airport transfer crews. Might take the chance and do the backpack retrieval stunt.

fdsjkjksfs.jpg

Last edited:

jrewing

Eats Squid
I’ve been a couple over and not had a problem. That was qantas.
tippagoree might be open soon for interstate travellers to consider a day for.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Bike bags are heavy. Other than one trip to NZ where I was shocked how heavy and not much more convenient they are I use a bike box.

@ozzybmx just buy some extra kg in advance. I always buy an extra 5 or 10 kg to avoid unexpected complications and allow me to bring random shit home (like whisky and cans of coffee).

ozzybmx

Bike bags are heavy. Other than one trip to NZ where I was shocked how heavy and not much more convenient they are I use a bike box.

@ozzybmx just buy some extra kg in advance. I always buy an extra 5 or 10 kg to avoid unexpected complications and allow me to bring random shit home (like whisky and cans of coffee).
I dont think Tassie has anything I need... though the MIL is partial to Cradle Mt Honey.

ozzybmx

Half his clan has already emigrated here anyway, so what's another one?
Fill'er up ! Malinauskas does a Dan Andrews yesterday.

309159203_10167503082850604_8586219948629990509_n.jpg

My MIL is a Queenstown girl. There's fark all in Queenstown in 2022, cant imagine what it was like 50yrs ago when she left there at 24.

Actually probably hasn't changed that much since 1970.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Fill'er up ! Malinauskas does a Dan Andrews yesterday.

View attachment 393535

My MIL is a Queenstown girl. There's fark all in Queenstown in 2022, cant imagine what it was like 50yrs ago when she left there at 24.

Actually probably hasn't changed that much since 1970.
Someone needs to tell Pete to keep his damn trap shut.

I will decide who comes here.