When did this thread turn into a scooter discussion?

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Giant is wife material, Norco is fun zone, an Evil is definately in crazy hairdresser territory, specialized is in no go zone
I've got an Evil. Yep it's fucking mental!!!! I'm going with Pivot for the wife material. Pretty sexy bikes I reckon it's an 8, they've got potential to get a bit loose but not too much so like a 5 crazy so yep they are in the wife zone.

Plus I have a harem of them.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I've got an Evil. Yep it's fucking mental!!!! I'm going with Pivot for the wife material. Pretty sexy bikes I reckon it's an 8, they've got potential to get a bit loose but not too much so like a 5 crazy so yep they are in the wife zone.

Plus I have a harem of them.
look mate this isnt the middle east - a harem is right out. now if you had 1 pivot, maybe youd have an argument, but a harem?

thats like a having a masseuse, a cook, a cleaner AND a wife and claiming the wife is a 5 on crazy when she is almost certainly a Stripper

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
look mate this isnt the middle east - a harem is right out. now if you had 1 pivot, maybe youd have an argument, but a harem?

thats like a having a masseuse, a cook, a cleaner AND a wife and claiming the wife is a 5 on crazy when she is almost certainly a Stripper
Yeah and I suspect the craziness is cumulative.........

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
not to mention, one is handmade with thousands of hours by craftsmen, and the other by robots in a day - hell, even the paint is fast baked so not to take up time. ie there is a genuine cost difference in production. there is no way a carbon frame costs thousands to produce, nor does an XX1 derailer cost even 50% more than an SX, let alone 300%
There is a lot of manual work in making a carbon frame; the individual pieces of carbon mat (of which there are several hundred in a single frame) are robotically cut, but all the layup and a lot of the finishing work is done by hand. A lot of the cost is in the tooling; carbon frame manufacture requires a lot of complex moulds, which are expensive to produce. Much of the end price of a carbon frame is to recoup the tooling costs.

mtb1611

Seymour
I'm not sure that it's gotten more expensive, relative to other sports, cost of living, CPI etc. Like any interest - be it cycling, guitars, photography etc - you can fork out minimal bugs bunny for entry level gear, or you can mortgage your house and go high-end. A lot of people like having expensive toys so they're prepared to throw down their hard-earned; my suspicion is that this is often a status symbol move, as said toys may more often than not spend more time gathering dust in the garage than being used for their intended purpose. Anyway, I digress...

Agree 100% with @EsPeGe regarding the prices charged by certain marques such as Specialized, whereby an absurdly expensive bike doesn't necessarily equate to a well-specced one. Then we move away from the bikes themselves; I've got mates with so many different helmets, gloves, shoes, riding gear etc that it's ridiculous and they can't possibly use it all. So I guess the question begs, is mountain biking expensive, or do enthusiasts actually MAKE it expensive?

Last edited:

safreek

I'm not sure that it's gotten more expensive, relative to other sports, cost of living, CPI etc. Like any interest - be it cycling, guitars, photography etc -, you can fork out minimal bugs bunny for entry level gear, or you can mortgage your house and go high-end. A lot of people like having expensive toys so they're prepared to throw down their hard-earned; my suspicion is that this is often a status symbol move, as said toys may more often than not spend more time gathering dust in the garage than being used for their intended purpose. Anyway, I digress...

Agree 100% with @EsPeGe regarding the prices charged by certain marques such as Specialized, whereby an absurdly expensive bike doesn;t necessarily equate to a well-specced one. Then we move away from the bikes themselves; I've got mates with so many different helmets, gloves, shoes, riding gear etc that it's ridiculous and they can't. possibly use it all. So I guess the question begs, is mountain biking expensive, or do enthusiasts actually MAKE it expensive?
Well said

Calvin27

Eats Squid
So I guess the question begs, is mountain biking expensive, or do enthusiasts actually MAKE it expensive?
Certainly not enthusiasts. More like people who take the sport up and then ditch it only months later. I rekon most is spillover from the roadie crowd. The other is motorbike enthusiasts who are now crossing over to ebikes.

Im guessing in the last 5 years.

So I'm driving behind some NSW terrorists (tourists) heading to Maydena. They're travelling in a van with a vertical rack with a couple of $5k Bikes hanging off of it.

20 years ago you started on a $400 hardtail you shoved in the boot to get to the trails.
10 years ago you bought a $1000 Dually and stuck it in your gripsport rip off tow bar mounted rack or stuck it and 5 others over the tailgate.
Today you drop $7-10k on a 160mm travel, do it all, bike preferably in carbon and carry it on a $700+ vertical carry bike rack.

Yes the cost of living has increased but this seems disproportionate especially considering the tech hasn't really changed. Realistically the biggest change is geometry.
Give in to your hate, and go 12 spd

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Certainly not enthusiasts. More like people who take the sport up and then ditch it only months later. I rekon most is spillover from the roadie crowd. The other is motorbike enthusiasts who are now crossing over to ebikes.
Ebikes is the biggest wank. People who'd never even ride if it wasn't for electric propulsion. It's a fucking motorbike, no matter how much froth you pour on it.

Last edited:

nexusfish

El Mariachi
I wonder how much the various wheel sizes offered, different standards, different fork trails, gear systems and so on contribute to the increasing cost? Im sure economy of scale comes into it when they are making all these diverse parts. If there was only 11 speed, only boost, only 29 they would be cheaper. Its so hard to find stuff on sale that fits your bike these days and it s more difficult to find stuff on the used market. Once most stuff fit most bikes across the disciplines.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I reckon most is spillover from the roadie crowd.
I see this on some of the rides here, they get sick of the road because of ever-increasing traffic. At least some of them understand you need skills these days to cross over to dirt.

Ebikes is the biggest wank. People who'd never even ride if it wasn't for electric propulsion. It's a fucking motorbike, no matter how much froth you pour on it.
It's sad to see some of the people I know take them up before they really need to, they're a great idea and nothing really against them but they do bring their own problems to the trails.

nathanm

Eats Squid
I will never (he says now) ride and e-bike as I belive bicycling should be purely pedal power, but I see the attraction of knocking out 2-3 times as many kilometres and in particularly doing multiple descents that would otherwise require a shuttle.

But the big question is where do these bikes, as a whole, sit on the hot/crazy scale?