When did this thread turn into a scooter discussion?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Just came across this little gem

I shared that on a roadie/tourer based forum a while back, it was well received!

My first shop bike was a 1995 $600 HT with cantilever brakes in 1995, Middle Brother's first shop bike is a 2019 $500 HT with discs.

In 1997 in then bought a $2200 Trek Y3 of the shop floor with V brakes and Judys

And in 1999 I custom built a Carbon Trek Y11 with hydro discs, Spinergys, and Bombers for $6k

I still find that level of bike for the same coin, but it'll roll faster, stop better, corner much much better, and probably last longer.

So yes MTB is expensive, but I think we're getting a better deal now than 20 years ago.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I can afford any bike I like but choose wisely like safreek to slap together some older used stuff to make great bikes.ie 5 like nothing else , my friends who know very little would rather chuck their bikes to the back of the shed and tell themselves they need a new bike cos they are so hardworking!
I prefer the challenge and individuality , it teaches you alot about how stuff fits + works and the hunt is fun.
Some people have no idea about money, cant delay their gratification, are sheep and are suckers for anything.
Overall I think mtbiking hasnt gotten more expensive at all probably cheaper in real terms if you are sensible .
In fact compared to fishing , boats , yachts and skiing its quite cheap .

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I can afford any bike I like but choose wisely like safreek to slap together some older used stuff to make great bikes.ie 5 like nothing else , my friends who know very little would rather chuck their bikes to the back of the shed and tell themselves they need a new bike cos they are so hardworking!
I prefer the challenge and individuality , it teaches you alot about how stuff fits + works and the hunt is fun.
I hear you. MTB'ing can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. Big money spent on a MTB doesn't guarantee happiness.
Fiddling with parts in the shed is mostly a fun thing to do and when it breaks then you have an idea how to fix it.

safreek

Some people have no idea about money, cant delay their gratification, are sheep and are suckers for anything.
Overall I think mtbiking hasnt gotten more expensive at all probably cheaper in real terms if you are sensible .
In fact compared to fishing , boats , yachts and skiing its quite cheap .
Even cheaper when frames get donated .
But I think I get a lot of fun out of the bikes I have had. In all honesty the modern bikes don't appeal to me at all, maybe something gearboxxy might be cool, gt it or like that.
My dream bike isn't a Hope or geomotfon?
Mine would be straight 8 or Lahar, sweet

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
is this the old a KTM 400cc costs the same as a specialized s - works?

bikes are expensive for what they are, but who is making all the cashola? i reckon a carbon frame should be a $200 item, and also a deraileur is a $20 item - top of the line maybe $28. why we are happy to pay so much for something with a designed performance advantage of 1%?

in the mirror is the reason

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yep agree its like old classic cars that some people get more pleasure from than a new car w all the modern technologies but anyone can buy one exactly the same.
At least a custom built older bike is unique + despite some modern innovations what counts is how the bike rides ,bigger fork +tyres and sliding the seat forward ,even just tyre pressure can make a nice ride.
Many people I ride with have too much pressure in their tyres,dont tune their suspension and otherthings detract from a new bike.
Although we don't discuss it much here too [ephemeral + abstract ]the terrain + vegetation we ride thru have a big effect on riding pleasure.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
All my bikes are built cheap with spares, used parts or stuff bought on sale. Prefer my $2-2.5k builds 100x more than the new $6-8k bikes I’ve tested out.
Some of my old beaters were built for next to nothing, and they’re a hoot to ride.
I have a few bikes myself at home and none of them cost more than $4k as I bought frames and parts (brand new) on massive sale. Talking $500 (HT) - $1,500 (dualie) for frame, $650 fork (yes you can buy top end like RS lyrik for $650 from mtb direct), heavily discounted rim from bikebug, heavily discounted German hubs from ze Germans themselves, run 10 speed - cheaper, last longer, why not. Can't escape from price of dropper, but buy them when with 10% discount say during easter or boxing day.

It's all down to how do you sus out the parts and whether you are happy to build the bike yourself. If you are going to walk into a shop to buy the same bike, it'll cost you over $7k and almost guarantee to have parts you don't necessarily like/want.
Also, it's down to whether you are happy to ride "not the latest gear". For example, boost fork is much more expensive than normal fork, so if you can stick with normal fork (15x100), then it'll be cheaper again.

But overall I agree MTB is very expensive, or cycling is generally expensive - even road cycling. Whether it gets very expensive in recent time, I don't know as I've only been riding MTB about 5 years ago.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At least I can see the advances in geometry, design and function with MTB, now I know there are some advances in drivetrains but why are roadies so expensive?
Because like anything, something is only worth what someone will pay for it.
Plus more coffee shop kudos for having the latest colour roadie?

safreek

At least I can see the advances in geometry, design and function with MTB, now I know there are some advances in drivetrains but why are roadies so expensive?
Because like anything, something is only worth what someone will pay for it.
Plus more coffee shop kudos for having the latest colour roadie?
I would of commented about roadies but then I would expose my past

safreek

You're only too happy to expose the past of your other leisure pursuits.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Your talking the tall girls yeah?.
But I would never go as low as being a roadie again, some things are just unforgivable if you do them again.

Not much about my life being exposed really worries me, be a good lesson to the youngsters on how to enjoy your life against adversity, oh and how to fuck things up as well.
At least I have become a better person, fuck. I occasionally ride mtb.
This was me back then, people tell me I look like someone on television or something

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
is this the old a KTM 400cc costs the same as a specialized s - works?

bikes are expensive for what they are....
Ferrari/Lamborghini/McLaren et al cars are expensive for what they are too. What separates a $1m stuporcar from a $12k Hyundai? About the same material/manufacturing tech development that separates a $15k bike from a $400 Giant ATX or similar.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Your talking the tall girls yeah?.
But I would never go as low as being a roadie again, some things are just unforgivable if you do them again.

Not much about my life being exposed really worries me, be a good lesson to the youngsters on how to enjoy your life against adversity, oh and how to fuck things up as well.
At least I have become a better person, fuck. I occasionally ride mtb.
This was me back then, people tell me I look like someone on television or something View attachment 358815
You could be Damiano Cunego's body double.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk