When did this thread turn into a scooter discussion?

Travis22

Likes Dirt
First mtb as kid was a $250 malvern star renegade. Then a $500 dodsun, eventually ponied up for some $400-500 Manitou forks for it when i started racing. When i was about 17 i got my first personal loan from a bank and bought a $5000 hardtail to race DH on. That was in 1998.

Pretty sure i got my first gripsport rack around the same time 1998-9 direct from his house/shed. Think it was around $250-300, the same racks are still in use today 21-22 years later, not sure why you think they are/were a ripoff i think it was dam good value even back then.

I dont think the prices have changed much at all for the bikes. A solid top of the line HT today would probably set you back much the same, difference is now you have so much more choice and incredible dual suspension bikes can be had starting for much less.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
What's not to say that those guys were the blokes that started 20+ years ago on that $400 hardtail.

Shit yes, or if that won't happen we need a good ol' Hitler rant.
I will have a crack at the MTB hot/crazy matrix soon.

I watched the hitler rant for the first time in years last week. Still makes me laugh. To think I made that while cooking dinner

nathanm

Eats Squid
Pretty sure i got my first gripsport rack around the same time 1998-9 direct from his house/shed. Think it was around $250-300, the same racks are still in use today 21-22 years later, not sure why you think they are/were a ripoff i think it was dam good value even back then.
I meant a ripped off version as no one wanted to pay $300. I got a copy made by a welder mate for $50.
Gripsport were/are amazing one of the few mtb related products that last for ever.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I think brands now put out a top end halo bike just to see how it will go. They need to keep up with the competition and if they sell a few then great.
They've always done it to some extent. The top end is where they're trotting out new materials, construction methods & other technologies, so the end result is something of a crossover between mass prototype and dick-waving display of what the various frame & component manufacturers can do. Sometimes the dick-waving gets a bit ahead of proper product development and stuff doesn't work as well as it's claimed to. A certain American component firm has a bit of a habit of it...... Then as stuff gets sorted it filters down to the mainstream levels.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Sometimes the dick-waving gets a bit ahead of proper product development and stuff doesn't work as well as it's claimed to. A certain American component firm has a bit of a habit of it...... Then as stuff gets sorted it filters down to the mainstream levels.
But most companies in the industry would envy their reputation.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Dude, dude, duuuuuuuude, get on it. One of the most classic DJ frames of semi modern times. If I had the reddies I would be on my way to get it nowView attachment 358756
The frames are the bits I don't want. I look at things like this, and think about cheap dually frames.

That is a staunch looking frame though.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I don't think a reputation for pushing underdeveloped expensive shit to market is particularly envied.
I agree, but some people just love their product and I think they are one mob that have sat there and said "how much do you reckon we can get away with charging for this before the crowd turns" and they've got away with it. Sponsoring the Syndicate was probably their best move as it captured all the fan bios...until GM started finding the limits, probs shouldn't be beta testing on the race track.

moorey

call me Mia
In 2002, my 222 retailed for $7500 with some great parts, but certainly not top shelf gear.
I reckon that’s close to $20k in today’s money.
You get 2x the brakes for $600 now that you got then...and $600 was a lot more money then.
Bikes and parts are generally a lot cheaper than 20 years ago, it’s just that technology has also given us expensive new products that weren’t around then. Others were in early development, cost a ton, and were shite.
You also had pretty much no choice other than to buy what was at LBS at full price.
We boomers think you millennials got it too easy.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Just came across this little gem

Following a rainy Saturday afternoon jaunt through the gravel bikepaths and singletrack of north-eastern Melbourne, CyclingTips can report that a 2011 Cannondale CAADX was put to the sword, but conspicuously failed to fall to pieces – in spite of the fact that it predated the gravel craze and its swathe of new products by a number of years.
This bike, it seems, has everything against it. And yet, in a baffling rebuttal to industry insistence that a fancy new gravel bike is a mandatory purchase, this leperous machine turns out to be not just completely rideable, but actually even quite good.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Out of curiosity I went and found an inflation calculator.

What this doesn’t reflect is increased cost of living, that’s the true killer of disposable income, not inflation.

Yeah nah, that’s way conservative I reckon.

Even if not...still bodes well for stuff being cheaper in the real world.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im guessing in the last 5 years.

So I'm driving behind some NSW terrorists (tourists) heading to Maydena. They're travelling in a van with a vertical rack with a couple of $5k Bikes hanging off of it.

20 years ago you started on a $400 hardtail you shoved in the boot to get to the trails.
10 years ago you bought a $1000 Dually and stuck it in your gripsport rip off tow bar mounted rack or stuck it and 5 others over the tailgate.
Today you drop $7-10k on a 160mm travel, do it all, bike preferably in carbon and carry it on a $700+ vertical carry bike rack.

Yes the cost of living has increased but this seems disproportionate especially considering the tech hasn't really changed. Realistically the biggest change is geometry.
Hmmm...i started 30 years ago on an $800 full rigid, as a poor uni student. By the mid 90's everyone I knew who mtb'd had usually 2 bikes that cost at least $3K, doesn't seem too much different to today, just more people riding.