What's your dollars per ride.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Let's see.

2018 Trek Project One Procaliber
$8,800 including computer and other bits
$2,100 for wheels to replace destroyed DTSwiss set
$1000 for new drivetrains, brakes etc

Strava says I've recorded 1,768 activities since I bought it. Much like Duck I commute and this is effectively my only bike. In the whole time I've had it I've used my roadie for two weeks while my fork was being warrantied, and maybe three times other than that. So let's says 1750.

So that works out to around $6.80 per ride. Thought it would be better than that by now :oops:

The first frame had 14,980 km on it, this frame has 19,099 km, 34,079 km total, making it $0.35 per km

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Try as I might, I cant figure out how to filter Strava activities by gear, so with my best guesstimath hat on...
Best will be the $150 trek 1.2 I commuted on for a couple of years. Current commuter is worse in price, but so much better overall.
Worst will be my recent Banshee build, with sub 1k kms so far and say 30ish rides...

While the trek was cheap, I was forever finagling the crappy Sora brifters, patching tubes, struggling to shift well. So spent a lot of valuable time fart arseing around.
Compared to my current commuter (kona rove) it is night and day, SRAM apex 11sp, tubeless gravelkings, disc brakes, etc. have all been faultless. Time saved and ease of use is worth the 10x + cost. I'm happy to play with shock settings and fine tune my MTB. But the commuter needs to be a workhorse and stay out of the workstand as much as possible.

Hell. I was charged $4.70 for a double espresso yesterday in Sydney CBD (new place - was not good either).
Need to start looking at espresso machines again. Even at the extreme pointy end of 5k+ prosumer machines the cost per shot would be a hell of a lot less than $4.70!

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Let's see.

Strava says I've recorded 1,768 activities since I bought it. Much like Duck I commute and this is effectively my only bike. In the whole time I've had it I've used my roadie for two weeks while my fork was being warrantied, and maybe three times other than that. So let's says 1750.

So that works out to around $6.80 per ride. Thought it would be better than that by now :oops:

The first frame had 14,980 km on it, this frame has 19,099 km, 34,079 km total, making it $0.35 per km
Thats not too bad considering its still a MTB and on the dirt a lot of the time.

My Hardtail had a very cheap starting price which has helped a lot.
$1984 and has done 188 rides / 7307km giving me$10.56 per ride or $0.27 a km.

My roadie is cheap as chips now.
$2843 and has done 331 rides / 17238km giving me $8.59 per ride or $0.16 per km.

My current fleet of three as a total looks a bit like this. (excluding the Mongoose I've had since 1997 lol)
$10646 across 642 rides / 27429km giving me $16.58 per ride or $0.39 per km.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Can we do this on dollar's per smile please?

I did a quick estimate based on numbers on strava and made a guess at what proportion was my old bike and what is my current bike and I'm sitting at somewhere between $30 and $45 per ride (assuming 150-225 rides). I'm not consistent with strava but I'm also conveniently ignoring upgrades/maintenance.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Let's see.

Are you running two wheelsets to cover commute and mtbing or constantly changing tyres?

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can we do this on dollar's per smile please?
This is what I need to think about to break out of my current slackness and getting the stoke back. The buzz from hooning down a good descent is priceless.

I don't count how many rides I do so farked if I know what the $ per ride was on my Fuel EX.
The Ripmo AF I've only ridden twice and wouldn't say I've started riding it properly yet. Am in the process of a lifestyle change getting out of FIFO to a local job. Still doing shift work but getting away from the 2 weeks on/2 weeks off roster will allow me to smooth out the boom and bust nature of my riding habits.

teK--

Eats Squid
But that calculation assumes your bike is worth zero at the end! Just how hard are you riding it each time lol

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Obviously most of us are doing it for clear enjoyment ad not making a business case out of it. But I was kind of surprised that even with my budget used mtb the dollar per ride was pretty up there. Granted I don't ride as much as some and have a cheaper bike than most, but still interesting to say the least.