What's your dollars per ride.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
It’s all gravy when compared to a night at the pub. How much enjoyment over one $30 ride? Thats like 3 pints in sydney.

Even beeb’s walty 2!
It’s like 2 nights clubbing. Worth.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
It’s all gravy when compared to a night at the pub. How much enjoyment over one $30 ride? Thats like 3 pints in sydney.

Even beeb’s walty 2!
It’s like 2 nights clubbing. Worth.
I'd heard seal meat was expensive, but never knew it was that profitable. Sorry you doe-eyed little bastards, daddy needs a new mountainbike...

Scotty T

Walks the walk
232 rides on the Bronson, cost me $3600 = $15.50 a ride.

Best value bike is the Jackaroo which was free (and not a cent spent) and I've done 6 rides on it.

The Fuel only did 67 rides under me and at $5100 - $2700 (sale price) was terrible value at $35 bucks a ride!

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Bit of a guesstimate, but my Marin Nail Trail bitsa/commuter, which is my main bike at the moment.
Cost: $600
Rides: 416 (To and from work 4 days a week for the last year)
Cost per ride: $1.44 (Doesn't take into account increased grocery bill from commuting, but it probably evens out with improved health and less wear and tear on the car)

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bought my Canyon Exceed in October 2017 for $3200. Put 16,000 kms on it before the frame some how broke. ( probably should go on confessions of the F*ckwits) 3200/16000 = 20 cents per km. Not sure how many times I rode it. Heaps? Bargain. And many of the bits went onto my Chameleon build.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Figures probably don’t mean much until you get rid of it, so last bike that completed its time with me (RIP):

1997 Giant ATX 980 ~$2000
22 years ownership
Inherited new parts off another bike, so probably another $1500 added value.
Another $500 worth of tyres and other consumables.
Estimating around 2,000 rides including mtbing, bmx track, commuting etc.
So probably $2 a ride at a guess. Less if you factor in the value of parts reused from it at the end.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The cost of not letting off steam by going on a ride.

The mental health correction by getting out there and riding your bike through nature and the feeling after it.

The fact its a hobby where lots of people dont have one, and they struggle with that.

The 100's of hours spent looking for parts and buying stuff.

The time spent on here reading and talking shite (some good shite talk too)

The time spent watching videos about riding, how to fix stuff, where to ride... how to ride.

Then you buy a bike....

Money spent on hobbies should never be counted as it does so much more than designate a $ per ride cost.

There are bikes I have had that would be next to zero and others that may have a significant $ per ride cost attached.

Every holiday we go on revolves around riding our bikes, even last year we bought a holiday house in a riding destination.

In our house, its actually our lifestyle rather than a pastime, hobby or sport.

I bought the missus a new 5w handheld UHF radio today... in preparation for the blackstump shuttle road in 4 days time :) she said her existing 2w handheld was missing blackstump departure transmissions.

Have not looked at the caravan yet as I have another 3 nightshifts... might be getting a little bit excited.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Ummm...I've done 3,700 km on the Twinzer. And I've probably spent that much on the damn thing. Average ride distance on is around 25 km. So that's $25 per ride.

Dirt roadie has done 6,300 km and cost me three grand. Average ride on that is around 30 km so that's (why is there math involved!!!)...say $15 per ride?

Clearly I need to ride more...

ozzybmx

Clearly I need to ride more...
I bought a 1 month old Cervelo R3 Disc for $3400 off a mechanic who changed shops.

~2 years and 15000km later, I sold it for $3400.

I upgraded a lot of parts on that bike and must have put at least 20 Schwalbe Pro One tubeless road tyres on it over the ownership. Then chains, cassettes ect...

Probably over 500 rides... would still say my cost was up around $5-$10 a ride.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I bought a 1 month old Cervelo R3 Disc for $3400 off a mechanic who changed shops.

~2 years and 15000km later, I sold it for $3400.

I upgraded a lot of parts on that bike and must have put at least 20 Schwalbe Pro One tubeless road tyres on it over the ownership. Then chains, cassettes ect...

Probably over 500 rides... would still say my cost was up around $5-$10 a ride.
Which suggests you ride too much! You need to be more of an opportunistic cyclist like the most of us...and I need to create more opportunities!

ozzybmx

Which suggests you ride too much!
Not in the last few years... but hopefully I'll get back there someday.

I am not doing the KM's that I used to do but they are more fun for me these days, though I was happy with my roadie stuff when I was fit.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
$1200 for my bike in 2014, plus another $1000 for nice wheels, so $2200. 7 years & two months ~ around 370 weeks. Missed a few out of that, particularly due to lockdowns, made up a few with multi-day events & extra mid-week rides, so let's stab at 340 rides. $6.47 per ride.

Commuter bike wins though, cost $0 thanks to the driver who wrote off the previous one. Had it nearly 16 years. Only costs are occasional routine consumables, which might be $150 or so every few years, so maybe $750 all up over that time. Ride to work most days, so nudging 4000 rides (or 8000 if you count to & from as separate rides). So that's about $0.19 per round trip, which at 15km equates to around 1.2c/km.

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
@ashes_mtb has it right, you’ve got to account for terminal value too. Strava tells me I did 1150km on the Rocky in the time I had it. $5200 purchase, $4000 sale price. 1200/1150 = $1.04/km. Could be better but not terrible. @beeb ’s Sentinel won’t look so bad when it sells.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@ashes_mtb has it right, you’ve got to account for terminal value too. Strava tells me I did 1150km on the Rocky in the time I had it. $5200 purchase, $4000 sale price. 1200/1150 = $1.04/km. Could be better but not terrible. @beeb ’s Sentinel won’t look so bad when it sells.
In that case net big fat $0
'Upgraded' 3yo thrashed giant with damaged forks will have to go for at least $5600 on Faceache right?