What's your dollars per ride.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Mate of mine upgraded his bike and we drove out pretty far to run it in. On the way there got chatting about expensive bikes and how much we spend on bikes etc. Tried to calculate dollar per ride.

So I thought I might poll RB folks to see how this varies. Just bike price and maybe a major upgrade (wheels or fork).

Bike: Norco Sight 2015, purchased used in 2017
Purchase price: $1600 +$500 for some pikes
Rides: Approx 65
$/ride: $32

Bike: Kona Hei Hei 2013
Purchase price: $2700
Rides: 140
$/ride: $19

I think my commuter bike is a lot lower!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Let's have it for the Sentinel.
Bike: Transition Sentinel (custom build)
Guestimate total bike cost ~$11000ish (Realistically the majority of parts were rolled over from previous builds)
Rides: Approx 8
$/ride: $1,375

I can still ride the Sentinel currently and reduce that ratio though. I think Waltly 2 would've been the worst. Bought the frame and fork, put it all together - got one ride on it (maybe two?) and sold the frame.

In hindsight, paying for my "PhD" has not come cheap. :oops:

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
This is hard as I've probably spent more on my bike than I admit (to myself or anyone else).

Roughly:
Transition Sentinel Frame/shock - $1600
Durolux fork - $800 (ish)
Hunt wheels - $680 (I think)
Dropper - $200
Tyres and stuff - $200
running gear, bars, brakes were carried over from previous bike so not sure what value to put on them...
Let's say $3,480 for the bike. About 100 rides so far = $34.80 per ride. Wow, that's worse than I thought

EDIT: just figured out how to filter Strava by a particular bike... Looks like I've done 184 rides so more like $18.91 per ride

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
This is hard as I've probably spent more on my bike than I admit (to myself or anyone else).

Roughly:
Transition Sentinel Frame/shock - $1600
Durolux fork - $800 (ish)
Hunt wheels - $680 (I think)
Dropper - $200
Tyres and stuff - $200
running gear, bars, brakes were carried over from previous bike so not sure what value to put on them...
Let's say $3,480 for the bike. About 100 rides so far = $34.80 per ride. Wow, that's worse than I thought
Lucky my Sentinel's probably 200 grams lighter.

Worth it! ...right? :eek:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Far out, if I priced the Highlander as though I'd bought everything at the same time I'd probably be looking at numbers like @beeb and his Sentinel.

Luckily a lot of those parts were on the Ibis for four years...

EDIT: ah shit he's accounted for that...

Don't drag me into this. Having built it during lockdown, that is not a figure I wish to know...
You're here now though..

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Far out, if I priced the Highlander as though I'd bought everything at the same time I'd probably be looking at numbers like @beeb and his Sentinel.

Luckily a lot of those parts were on the Ibis for four years...
depreciation is your friend in this game

Lucky my Sentinel's probably 200 grams lighter.

Worth it! ...right?:eek:
It's lighter. It looks better. It has no paint chips... Your Sentinel has a lot going for it. Definitely worth it.