Whats the best beer you've had & why?

scblack

Leucocholic
When the fuck did a schooner hit $13!!!! Is it the mining boom mk2 in Sydney?!!!

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
I paid that at Hotel CBD (York St) last weekend, for a Stone&Wood Pale Ale. Nearly fell over and left after that $27.00 shout.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Randomly tried an Orion Draft - was good . Also found that a “ lot of beers “ are now manufactured in China and shipped to Awwwstraylia ….. good ol supply chain .

This tho is made in Japan .

And they are serious about beer

Bugger pictures is stuck in the cloud hahaha , like my head most of the time

And it’s was $20 for a 6 pack , so tasty and good value

1675575212389.jpeg

Last edited:

cammas

Seamstress
Which beers are we talking about here?

Many of the big name global beers like Heiniken, Asahi, Corona, Millers, etc. are brewed all over the world in regional hubs.
Yep they certainly do, it’s also funny people say the imported stuff is better than the ones brewed here, when you consider the stuff that’s imported is months old. A few companies have had complaints when they have switched over to supply of kegs to Australian brewed ones because it tastes different, of course it’s fresh.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Which beers are we talking about here?

Many of the big name global beers like Heiniken, Asahi, Corona, Millers, etc. are brewed all over the world in regional hubs.
The locally brewed heiniken is awful.
Yep they certainly do, it’s also funny people say the imported stuff is better than the ones brewed here, when you consider the stuff that’s imported is months old. A few companies have had complaints when they have switched over to supply of kegs to Australian brewed ones because it tastes different, of course it’s fresh.
It's also got a bit to do with different water quality.

A mate of mine used to work at Tooheys, and when they started making XXXX in Sydney instead of trucking it down from QLD, they recorded a dip in sales because it didn't taste the same. Once they worked out what to put in the brewing water to get the taste back close to the QLD stuff the sales kicked off again.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click

A mate of mine used to work at Tooheys, and when they started making XXXX in Sydney instead of trucking it down from QLD, they recorded a dip in sales because it didn't taste the same. Once they worked out what to put in the brewing water to get the taste back close to the QLD stuff the sales kicked off again.
Who drinks xxxx outside of Qld? :p

I love the science behind adjusting the water to replicate beer from a specific region. Even homebrewers can tinker with water profiles.

cammas

Seamstress
The locally brewed heiniken is awful.

Yeah water is a big part of the issue, some of the beer that comes out of China is woeful.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
heiniken is awful.
Fixed.

Beer is brewed using distilled or RO water with the relevant salts added to the water to achieve the right water profile, which ensures consistency across batches. Even homebrewers do this.
If there is a difference in taste, it's a QC issue, nothing else

LPG

likes thicc birds
Fixed.

Beer is brewed using distilled or RO water with the relevant salts added to the water to achieve the right water profile, which ensures consistency across batches. Even homebrewers do this.
Definitely not always. Sometimes the local water is suitable for use or the brewery doesn't have the process in place to do otherwise. I think adding minerals is fairly common by breweries but starting from Rain or RO sourced is probably only used rarely.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Fixed.

MAYBE in the craft breweries...

The centrifugal separators (to clarify the brew) CUB, Castlemaine Perkins, Tooheys are using, process around 30,000 litres an hour and on average these breweries have 2 machines running around the clock.

I'd hate to see the price of their commercial beers if they were using distilled water.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry , I’ve been bloody working and it makes my brainzzzz tired - the 2 beers that were mentioned to me were Sapporo and asahi in bottles specifically the smaller ones .
But the 500 ml cans are Japan manufactured.
The stat I read was Orion makes 65 % of the beer in Okinawa , for 3 % of the population .

I was trying to find the source on internets but my google’ fu has failed me