Whats the best beer you've had & why?

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Yeah, I don't get it.
From what I remember, there was a bit of friendly rivalry between Brew Dog and another brewery over who could brew the most alcoholic beer.
Brew being the operative word. It's easy to boost ABV by adding a neutral spirit, but these guys used freeze distillation. A time consuming process which results in a very concentrated beer.
I find the methodology interesting, but beyond that, I wouldn't bother!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Ok - cracked the Batch Milk Stout - not a bad drop:

Elsie is made by combining unfermentable lactose with an incredibly complex malt bill. The result is a beer that’s sweet and smooth, dark and roasty, with gentle touches of chocolate, coffee & cream. Served on nitrogen to bring an incredibly soft mouthfeel to this sweet stout.

Would I buy more? Probably not, but I didn't "pour it with a purpose". I'll glug the next one out.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Hope Brewery - Salted Caramel Hazy IIIPA

Yep, that's 3 I's, and equates to a lazy 3.3 std drinks per can. Terrible photo quality was not caused by consumption of drinks prior. Just poor photographer.

Honestly, it's a 'dessert beer'. Like your sherry or a sticky botrytis. Crazy cloyingly sweet caramel flavour. A bit artificial tasting. Best shared with a couple of people I'd say. But only as an experiment. Not sure what to do with the other 3 cans from the 4-pack...

For a much better dessert beer - my fav ever - try to find a 3 Ravens 'The Druid'. https://www.boozebud.com/p/3ravens/thedruid2018 That thing is the bomb, a quad belgian style, but I think was a limited release. Perfect to warm a cold winter's night.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Really gone off the wanky beers. Gone back to hoppy West Coast IPAs and Stouts. Running With Thieves are putting out some decent basic stuff, and Otherside have a top stout out.

ausdb

Being who he is
From what I remember, there was a bit of friendly rivalry between Brew Dog and another brewery over who could brew the most alcoholic beer.
Brew being the operative word. It's easy to boost ABV by adding a neutral spirit, but these guys used freeze distillation. A time consuming process which results in a very concentrated beer.
I find the methodology interesting, but beyond that, I wouldn't bother!
It was a German brewery Schorschbrau, hence the appropriate name for the brew.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Water, malted barley, hops, yeast. That will do*, thanks.

*Happy to accept some minor additions to dark beers, such as lactose, coffee and vanilla bean.

indica

Serial flasher
Water, malted barley, hops, yeast. That will do*, thanks.

*Happy to accept some minor additions to dark beers, such as lactose, coffee and vanilla bean.
Big fan of fruit in beeers such as sours and I like the cherry stout I make.Serious dislike for lactose

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Kroftmans Lager

Not my ideal larger. Just doesn’t tickle my pickle

No1 still weihenstephaner Crystal Clear.

No 2 becks

Scotty T

Walks the walk
My dark beer season has gone well so far...

These three were very nice, I love sweet dark beers:

Also tried Ben and Jerry's nitro beer from 4 Pines, in my experience nitro never works without a widget, poured it hard and got a good head, but it was underhwhelming in flavour and quite flat.

Below was spruiked as being sensational, it was quite good but not as much as the dude at the shop hyped it to be:

This was a pretty awesome RIS, I thought the barrel funk was pretty well balanced:

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I got stuck into a few of these yesterday, was not expecting great things but was pleasantly surprised, not the best beer I've had but definitely nice enough to have another session on.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
My dark beer season has gone well so far...

These three were very nice, I love sweet dark beers:

Also tried Ben and Jerry's nitro beer from 4 Pines, in my experience nitro never works without a widget, poured it hard and got a good head, but it was underhwhelming in flavour and quite flat.

Below was spruiked as being sensational, it was quite good but not as much as the dude at the shop hyped it to be:

This was a pretty awesome RIS, I thought the barrel funk was pretty well balanced:

Ever hard one of these?

I've not been able to find a better simple stout in the 3 years since I first tried one.