Whats next ?

MarioM

Likes Dirt
At our last ride we came across police tape across a fire road ( guessing illegal trail bikes ) and it prompted a discussion of " imagine if they were checking bikes for bells , helmets on , reflectors etc " of which we all laughed at . Now I see this in the good old US and it has me thinking that its not such a far fetched thought that they would / will do this . I hope there are no politicians reading this .

http://forums.mtbr.com/california-norcal/radar-coming-marin-trails-fire-roads-april-1007812.html

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm guessing that police tape was for something more sinister than trail bikes. On the topic of rules and restrictions, public land managers fear legal exposure, so it probably depends on local circumstances as to whether speed limits or other limitations on bicycles could be contemplated. What is definite is that there will be increasing competition for land access and vested interest groups will leverage against cyclists if it suits their cause. Unlike the US, Qld and NSW national parks services have released policy documents officially supporting MTB. That at least gives us a head start, but it also means that in the future MTB in national parks can be officially controlled. It is how that happens that is a bit unpredictable.

Our local national park - Nerang on the Gold Coast, is riddled with trail. Some years ago a trail survey was conducted and most of those trails were designated as MTB trail not yet of a standard suitable for signposting. Sounds like progress. They gave the trails to the MTB community and entrusted us to bring the trails up to standard. What they didn't do was take ownership and responsibility for their assets. For that reason there is no public map of the trail system and almost no trails are signposted. IMO that was for 2 reasons - first they don't have the staff or money to bring those trails up to their standard (whatever that is, but based on the old IMBA standards) and secondly because the local staff really don't support MTB access. The second may be changing but I reckon if we didn't have the Commonwealth Games coming up, there would be no support at all from the local land manager. Putting you head in the sand so you cannot see that there is a MTB trail system seems to be the main strategy of our land manager.

When a trail is not signposted it has no identifiable designation to the public. That means horse riders argue it is shared trail and get really fucking nasty when you question their presence. No rider wants trail damage or conflict with horses and I get sick of the 2 types of horseshit they leave in the park, the kind that come from a horses' back end and that from their owners front end. "We can go anywhere we like. The trail is not just for you you selfish dickhead. etc". Trouble is that while they are wrong, if there is no sign then they could conceivably argue that it is shared trail. I fear that in court an injured equestrian will argue successfully that they were not in the wrong place and because a cyclist did not yield to their horse (something that is on the limited number of signs in the park), then that cyclist will be in the wrong and will get zero support from the land manager. Further to that, after many years and thousands of hours of volunteer trailcare, I fear that the land manager will also not support the trail crew who worked on bringing that trail up to standard and negligently failed to provide trail that was safe for all users, even if there was only supposed to be one user group - MTB. End result is that after failing to see any commonsense over the issue of trail use and standard, I will no longer work on our trails (other than basically clearing trails of loose or fallen obstacles). I have enough liability in my life and need no more.

How does all this relate to other regs and speed - well, it means that anything could happen and we, the MTB public will have little or no say in it.

teK--

Eats Squid
At You Yangs last year there was a cop who stopped anyone riding backwards up the (one-way) fire road or if they weren't wearing their helmet. Only gave warnings though as far as I'm aware.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
^^thats actually pretty awesome.

'OI YOU! STOP BEING A PORKCHOP AND RIDE THE TRACK THE RIGHT WAY, or johnny will get ya!'

I've been hassled at a skate park for no helmet and brakes on the bmx. Reflectors were mentioned but I'm sure there just a legality when selling the bike. As in all bikes sold from a shop must come with reflectors and a bell. What happens next is anyones guess. The constabulary didn't know herself so let me off with a stern warning.

Funnily enough, some other dudes where punching some cones behind some bushes while all this was happening, and she didn't even bat an eyelid!

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
At You Yangs last year there was a cop who stopped anyone riding backwards up the (one-way) fire road or if they weren't wearing their helmet. Only gave warnings though as far as I'm aware.
That's Great Circle Drive, it's actually a one way public road....

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Police tape typically means it is or was part of a crime scene. I doubt it'd be there to keep you off the trails.
Based on my travels, I'd be very hesitant to suggest America has more rules in place than Australia, this place is seriously over ruled and it's scary to think what will be permissible in the years to come. Australia has a real problem with inventing rules and regulations that protect the lowest denominator, it's a very downward spiral.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Police tape typically means it is or was part of a crime scene. I doubt it'd be there to keep you off the trails.
Based on my travels, I'd be very hesitant to suggest America has more rules in place than Australia, this place is seriously over ruled and it's scary to think what will be permissible in the years to come. Australia has a real problem with inventing rules and regulations that protect the lowest denominator, it's a very downward spiral.
Hells yeah! Over there the mere mention of government regulation in wilderness areas will usually wind up in a days-long armed stand-off.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
this place is seriously over ruled and it's scary to think what will be permissible in the years to come. Australia has a real problem with inventing rules and regulations that protect the lowest denominator, it's a very downward spiral.
How absolutely correct Dozer. I have heard talk the local land manager here is going to change a section of trail because a blue trail with faster riders joins a green trail for a short distance to the trailhead. There's perfect visibility in all directions (always will be) and the trails run alongside each other for a bit before the intersection. Both are two way, so riders are expecting to meet, but catering to the lowest common denominator (newb with sensory deprivation and neuronal disadvantage) somehow makes sense to the powers that be.

Again, this is not exactly about speed checks or policing, but how the rules that lead to that come into existence.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
At our last ride we came across police tape across a fire road ( guessing illegal trail bikes ) and it prompted a discussion of " imagine if they were checking bikes for bells , helmets on , reflectors etc " of which we all laughed at . Now I see this in the good old US and it has me thinking that its not such a far fetched thought that they would / will do this . I hope there are no politicians reading this .

http://forums.mtbr.com/california-norcal/radar-coming-marin-trails-fire-roads-april-1007812.html
Register those damn cyclists already.

link1896

Mr Greenfield

15mph or 24kmh on a fire road for a speed limit. That's crazy.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Register those damn cyclists already.
It's California, according to the labels they put on everything from chain oil to grips they're lucky to be doing 15mph given they are all dying of cancer. Even the radars they're using to nab them are giving them extra cancer.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It's California, according to the labels they put on everything from chain oil to grips they're lucky to be doing 15mph given they are all dying of cancer. Even the radars they're using to nab them are giving them extra cancer.
They put those labels on graphite/carbon fishing rods too...they usually read something about how the item contains substance/s "known in some states..." or "known in the state of California..." to cause cancer. Is California that much smarter than the rest of America?

MarioM

Likes Dirt
How absolutely correct Dozer. I have heard talk the local land manager here is going to change a section of trail because a blue trail with faster riders joins a green trail for a short distance to the trailhead. There's perfect visibility in all directions (always will be) and the trails run alongside each other for a bit before the intersection. Both are two way, so riders are expecting to meet, but catering to the lowest common denominator (newb with sensory deprivation and neuronal disadvantage) somehow makes sense to the powers that be.

Again, this is not exactly about speed checks or policing, but how the rules that lead to that come into existence.
No its not about speed checks or policing , its about what rules this country is putting or will put forth . Incidentally the section of fire road , its at Appin by the way , taped is a four way section . We think the cops have taped this off over the weekend to stop and book dirt bike riders .

Its interesting and alarming to see the amount of trails being closed in the US because of the wilderness act . I really hope that does not happen here . Its always a small vocal group that seems to cause all the trouble . Are governments and councils so obtuse that they do not see the potential in trail networks be it MTB or bushwalkers ? Do advocacy groups use New Zealand as an exemplary example of such a network ? Look at what Greenvalleys Freeride Park had to go through , thankfully Nick had the foresight to keep at it when most of us would probably just give up and keep riding the "illegal " network . Look at what Ridenparadise goes through now .

Unless we can converse on the level of the bureaucrat , I know I can`t without punching one in the head , then these small groups and government will just keep moving the goal posts .