What's better than one derailleur? Three rotating derailleurs of course.....

Freediver

I can go full Karen
So now that Scam have invented a new way of doing front rings will their marketeers be saying that 2x is what you really need?
That is of course until they come up with a groovy ( read as over engineered) way of doing 3.

moorey

call me Mia
Hammerschmidt was entirely different, granted, but served a purpose when we were stuck with 11-34 9sp cassettes. I'm not interested in the 50+ dinner plates, but at this point, more than happy with the range of 10-42.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
All because they can't make a standard front derailleur that works....
their rear derailleur aren’t far behind, gx seems like a disposable product, i wonder if this solves the problem of wrecked rear derailleurs, i’m hoping it will b a 3x1, with a single cog tensioner rear...no cassette required

moorey

call me Mia
It's only a matter of time... Look at how popular coil springs are again.
But coil was, and is a valid, sensible, affordable option. I see the coil/air option more akin to regular front derailleur/1x option. The new sram is more akin to the linkage fork niche option. Some will take it up, but at least at this point, not a mainstream alternative.

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
From reading the article, it seems like a roadbike only thing. I'm sure they would try to force it on MTB at some point, but not any time soon.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Yet you probably will or do.
Never!

I've been down the road route, swore that one off for the rest of my life before it ended my life. Not enough grip for slick surfaces or rapid stops to give me confidence for the commute.
I've tried the mtb commute for years, in the end too much servicing & really not particularly suited to large road km's.
Gravel bike fit the niche for me, although I'm sure i'm not using it for it's intended purpose. It carries stacks of gear, it's got a good riding position for plenty of km's, tires have stacks of grip at 40mm & some tread and I can take dirt detours with confidence. I'm probably unlikely to ever take it on trails, I've got a few mountain bikes for that, although maybe one day the spirit will catch me for a trek out to Nebo or the rail trail.

Either way, it's filled a hole for me. Probably one that could have been filled with a touring bike, but at least the fad bout in more options for gear & frames for me to build it, which was fun.