what pressure should i be running in my fox float rp2?

brad353

Likes Dirt
what pressure should i be running in my fox float rp2 on my 2011 reign1? i'm a tad under 75kg and ride the bike pretty hard. currently it has 170psi and when i check the indicator o-ring it's off the shaft indicating that it's bottoming. not from doing big drops or anything either, just some fun all mountain riding.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The air pressure required will be determined by the sag.

Measure the shaft length of the shock and work out 25% (will be 1/4 of the length). Push the O ring all the way to the top and sit gently on the bike without any sudden movements. You should be have the normal kit that you would ride with on.
Hop off just as carefully and check the amount the O ring has moved.

If it is less than 25% add more air, if less than 25%, let some out.

Once you have correctly set your sag, you will get full performance out of your ssupension.

brad353

Likes Dirt
sweet, thanks mate. i just set it up then, took about 185psi. i'm assuming you meant to say add more air if it's more than 25%? sorted.

Last edited:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sweet, thanks mate. i just set it up then, took about 185psi. i'm assuming you meant to say add more air if it's more than 25%? sorted.

Oops, yep.

If the sag is less than 25% it has too much air, If it has more than 25%, it needs more air.

Glad you got it sorted.

deafwish

Likes Bikes
Hey mate & congrats on a great bike!
The RP2/ RP23 is renouned for bottoming way too easy - due to it's tune.
Regardless of what psi it runs - it is always going to be a compromise of performance.
Too plush & it bottoms easily.
Too firm & you lose ridablility.
The only fix is to shim it! :cool:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=503070

I'm 80kg (ride weight) and run about 200psi with a shimmed RP2 on my Reign 2.
It's close to perfect.

Daz.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
You can drop some air if you want, it doesn't have to be dead on 25%..... I.e. up to 33% or thereabouts for for AM stuff.

Terror

Squid
I'm 80kg (ride weight) and run about 200psi with a shimmed RP2 on my Reign 2.
It's close to perfect.

Hey Guys,
I also purchased a Giant reign 2 a few months back & have been loving it i ride anything from light trail to full down hill & limit my drops to around seven odd foot, I weigh 75KG also & depending on the track i ride change my sag set up from anywere as low as 21% to around 27% ( 190 psi to 205 psi ) i find if i am doing a track with a few bigger drops & jumps i have to set up with more pressure so i dont bottom out all the time. I noticed this thread recently deafwish on the MTBR forums has it made a big difference ?? was it hard to do? & have you noticed any negatives in how your bike rides after you have shimmed the shock? I have seen you post on mtbr but didnt realise you were from OZ.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I use to run 190 to 200psi (I'm about 80kgs) ... remember, the suspension is supposed to move ... its good for big hits and rough riding, but try softening ... believe me, plush adds control.

not sure if you can tune the boost ... but I've been
i) Trance with Float R ... quickening the rebound, and reduced the pressure to 150psi ... I do occasionally bottom. I could maybe add 5psi to 10psi
ii) Bullit (DHX Air) ... 150psi compression, 170psi in the boost, and the bottom out pretty much all the way in.

The boost is important, as without it I was bottoming heaps more.

The platform holds you up a little more too

At 190 ... I wasn't getting the last inch (maybe half inch) of travel ... and the ride was like a pin ball.

if you have a 23 ... just be mindful of which position your in when you are putting pressure (eg, you could be in the softest setting and then jacking up the pressure, so that the higher settings are pretty much rigid.

worth playing around with, and the beauty of air

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
^ What Al said, I'm 81kg and set up with about 155psi at the moment (more AM/DH type stuff though, normally I'd run 165/170).

Heading to Thredbo tomorrow, so I will have to fiddle with it a bit to avoid bottoming out much.