What new hobbies/activities have you taken up during lockdown?

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Geez, ride a Giant.

Tonight’s lockdown was a measure up, for a setup of the new axe.

It’s funny but playing it for a few weeks… I had picked exactly how it would measure.

The neck relief is conservatively perfect, and the nuts slots are way too high, but the 12th fret action is superb… lower than any other guitar I own.

So, break out the nut files, polish the frets and the G and D need the minutest of intonation tweaks… and she’ll be good to go.

Because of an issue with the bridge pickup volume pot, I initially wasn’t sure whether I was gonna keep it… but I really love the colour, and the flame top… it is much better in real life than in the iPhone pics, and it sounds and plays great.

View attachment 379308
That is a very nice take on Still Life With Apricots.

LPG

likes thicc birds
So that seemed to lead to me ordering one of these sauna tents and stove from Russia. https://morzh.eu/
I spent 3 months in Siberia a while ago, the Russians know what they are doing when it comes to saunas and outdoor stuff!

I'll set it up in the backyard for probably most weekends during lockdown. I really want to use it for camping/riding trips in cooler weather and winter day at some awesome secluded local beaches.
It's here and it's awesome. It is easy to set up, is solid and well made and most importantly it works bloody well! I can easily get it up to 80°C inside within 20 minutes of lighting the stove. Ive been keeping it between 80 and 95°C for an enjoyable sauna. I know it will go hotter but 95 is perfect otherwise any water on the rocks makes it too hot.

I modified a 19L pot that used to be used as home brewing gear to cover the stones with a grill on top. I collected some hopefully basalt that was at a beach, I was somewhat worried that some would have water in them and would explode so this made that safe. I might keepnuaing it as it keeps all the stones stacked around the hottest part of the stove, the stovepipe.

I bought a 90° elbow for the stove pipe so I can run the thing on our back deck which is very convenient and nice. Putting your bare arse and brussel sprouts onto the cold pavers is a lot more refreshing than you would expect!

I'm heading back for another round!

Edit: I decided ai should crack into the triple digits that round. I wasn't sure if I had enough wood sitting next to the stove but I threw what I had in. It got it up to 111°C. I'm glad I didn't have any more sticks because that was definitely hot enough!

Attachments

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I don’t think I could even tell the difference with my playing ability. I would also ride a Giant too
That gave me a chuckle. Some nice guitars in this thread but I think my taste in guitars is a bit like my taste in bikes. I like 'em business like and dependable which might explain why I ride a Giant and for gigging and in the studio play Ibanez (which are probably the Giant of guitars). Admittedly, they all have Wilde (the real Bill Lawrence) pickups with the last set not handmade by Bill but by his widow after Bill passed away. I just can't fault how no-nonsense the Ibanez guitars are. Just love the playability of the Wizard III neck and with the Wilde pickups they're transformed into a very flexible instrument.

For lockdown, I've been playing a lot of drums (which I don't normally do when gigging) but which I do like to do to keep the inner metronome dialed in. Although covid has erased the live music scene and now lockdown has put an end to band practice, one my of bandmates has a studio and does quite a bit of production for other musicians so I've had the opportunity to do some additional instrumentation on several recordings (mostly guitar solos and some bass lines) which has been fun (but not as fun as playing live).

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Finished the lego excavator I bought extra parts for. Yes I know Liebherr don't make an excavator version of the 9800. Tough. Looks better than the face shovel it is meant to be.
I didn't know Liebherr made fridges that transformed.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
It's here and it's awesome. It is easy to set up, is solid and well made and most importantly it works bloody well! I can easily get it up to 80°C inside within 20 minutes of lighting the stove. Ive been keeping it between 80 and 95°C for an enjoyable sauna. I know it will go hotter but 95 is perfect otherwise any water on the rocks makes it too hot.

View attachment 379831View attachment 379830

I modified a 19L pot that used to be used as home brewing gear to cover the stones with a grill on top. I collected some hopefully basalt that was at a beach, I was somewhat worried that some would have water in them and would explode so this made that safe. I might keepnuaing it as it keeps all the stones stacked around the hottest part of the stove, the stovepipe.

View attachment 379833

I bought a 90° elbow for the stove pipe so I can run the thing on our back deck which is very convenient and nice. Putting your bare arse and brussel sprouts onto the cold pavers is a lot more refreshing than you would expect!

View attachment 379832

I'm heading back for another round!

Edit: I decided ai should crack into the triple digits that round. I wasn't sure if I had enough wood sitting next to the stove but I threw what I had in. It got it up to 111°C. I'm glad I didn't have any more sticks because that was definitely hot enough!
I bought an infrared sauna just before covid hit. Best purchase ever. enjoy it after a long ride. Soo good!

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Oh man, the temptation to toss an ounce on those rocks and dutch oven yourself into the next dimension...

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Oh man, the temptation to toss an ounce on those rocks and dutch oven yourself into the next dimension...

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
assuming NSFW?

LPG

likes thicc birds
I bought an infrared sauna just before covid hit. Best purchase ever. enjoy it after a long ride. Soo good!
I've never tried the infrared but I've heard good things. The relaxation ypu get from it is pretty awesome.

The thought has definitely crossed my mind. Not really my thing these days but there are exceptions for every rule.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
The thought has definitely crossed my mind. Not really my thing these days but there are exceptions for every rule.
I'm hearing you, some things we need to grow out of. There's only so many Bluesfests a human body can take in a lifetime.

Reactions: LPG

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
After doing a few alternative builds on technics sets I have been thinking about a scratch build in technics of something for a while. I am a sucker for cranes and have a desire to build a decent model out of metal but lack the justifications since those kits are upwards of $2k. I picked up a second hand lego set 42042 which was their attempt at a crawler crane many years ago. Of course technics have improved lots since then and I only bought this for the ideas.

It didn't look great.

TLDR:

I made a crawler crane from lego. Unsalted roasted cashew for scale.

Waiting on some lego parts from Europe and some black braid from China to finish the little details and colour coordination but this is virtually complete. Many many iterations including the original design was without a luffing fly so it would sit on my desk. Curiosity got the better of me and I put some bits together and gave it a go. The thing was hopelessly unstable laterally so I took it off. Then I thought about how to stiffen it up under the main deck and so now it has a luffing fly and stands over 1.9m tall. This will not fit on my desk.

Started by measuring the width of the lego track and then comparing it with various crawler cranes to see if a scale (ish) build was possible. I wanted something in the 600 - 1,000t class.

As these cranes are much the same irrespective of manufacturer I settled on Liebherr as they have some good information available as downloads. At 1:50 the tracks were 2m wide which drops the model firmly in the LR1700, 1750, 1800 sizing and if a bit smaller scale then the larger cranes. Checked the track lengths and heights and various other dimensions and made up a spreadsheet. The LR1750 was damned close.

As it is now:

Non lego bits: The winch cable is 40kg fishing braid, accurate for scale at 0.55mm for the 28mm rope. The rams head hook is from a plastic model which was edited to fit into a lego piece to form the main 350t hook. And I will be making up some pulleys because the lego ones are either too big in diameter or too small or too wide.

Non scale bits: The fly, boom, mast and arm elements are way too big. They should only be about 2 to 3mm in diameter. This though was the only option with enough strength to support itself and well that was how the lego kit was done albeit at a larger scale. The pennants are too big but as these are a standard lego 16 long connector I went with those. Plus I had a few and they look right next to the oversized boom elements...

Otherwise it is all standard lego technics pieces and within parts of a mm for correct scale sizing. As it sits it represents the crane with 70m of main, 28m of fly at 30m radius. Good for 201t.

And Bob the minion fits in the cab. Just. He is a big minion at 1:50, over 2m tall. He has all the relevant tickets but isn't driving because at the moment he is doing his MIB impersonation and is atop the Saturn V lego model.

What it should look like.

How many hours? Lots. How much. At least 2. Could it be motorised? Absolutely, the winches are all connected to the right bits and there is room for a couple of motors and gearbox in the carbody. Running axles and gears from that would be simple enough though it will impact on how it looks. As for the drive units plenty of room under the main frame for the motors and battery box. Just like the real deal.

The boom and mast and fly will be yellow and the odd coloured bits will get changed out when the parts arrive. Then it will sit on the floor in my study and collect dust.

A couple of sadly relevant things. I could have saved $200 and built this without buying the used model because by the time I am finished all I will be using are the tracks and a few connectors. Lego have sort of announced that they will release their version of the LR13000 late this year. Bugger. It is expected to cost around $1k here though.

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Love it, looks more interesting than the original model too.

Pretty tempted by this: https://brickset.com/article/60133/review-42128-heavy-duty-tow-truck

View attachment 378629

Looks pretty good without all the shitty stickers, and is the first big Technic set in ages that doesn't rely on archaic AA batteries to work.
Can recommend! It's my first pneumatic set and it's quite hefty with plenty of detail, a bit like the old days of technic where you needed to use a bit of brain to figure things out. Not like the modern stuff where one brick is one step.

Took 7ish hours to get half way. Admittedly the 5th Element was on the tv for two of those hours, but still, value for money is right up there