What new hobbies/activities have you taken up during lockdown?

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I had to look up the NGD meaning as I don’t speak internet.
Ha ha, I've working in ICT for 45 years so I speak fluent TLA.

Cool Axe. Is that is an epiphone?
It's a Artist LP59TRB which is their Translucent Black version of the 59 Les Paul, which has a mahogany body with a carved maple top and a set mahogany neck. The stock pickups are really quite good and are coil tapped, so a lot of tonal options are available, with the neck pickup particularly good in coil tap mode into a clean or very slightly overdriven amp. In humbucking mode they are medium output but full sounding and the bridge pickup is very rock.

Some other features are roller Tune-O-Matic bridge, locking tuners, bone nut, 12” radius fingerboard and Split Coil Push-Pull on the volume pots.

My Translucent Black is in fact slightly blue which is great, as it looks good sitting next to my trusty ancient blue strat.

I'm playing mine through pedals into a Wet/Dry amp setup... the amps being a Laney VC15 and a Vox PF15R, and it sounds great.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Ha ha, I've working in ICT for 45 years so I speak fluent TLA.

It's a Artist LP59TRB which is their Translucent Black version of the 59 Les Paul, which has a mahogany body with a carved maple top and a set mahogany neck. The stock pickups are really quite good and are coil tapped, so a lot of tonal options are available, with the neck pickup particularly good in coil tap mode into a clean or very slightly overdriven amp. In humbucking mode they are medium output but full sounding and the bridge pickup is very rock.

Some other features are roller Tune-O-Matic bridge, locking tuners, bone nut, 12” radius fingerboard and Split Coil Push-Pull on the volume pots.

My Translucent Black is in fact slightly blue which is great, as it looks good sitting next to my trusty ancient blue strat.

I'm playing mine through pedals into a Wet/Dry amp setup... the amps being a Laney VC15 and a Vox PF15R, and it sounds great.
I nodded sagely, as I read your description, but really I was all.............

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Wow, what an axe… with a trapeze tailpiece and six drone strings it must ring like a mofo…
It does. Something about its natural resonance really emphasises the A-pair when played open, you can feel it through your body! It packs quite a wallop when paired with a moderately-driven Marshall, even at neighbour-friendly volume.
Nice guitar @The Duckmeister, what kind of style does the 12 string lends its self to?
Maybe a tad surprising, but most stuff can be adapted to the 12; lead-type stuff with lots of string bending gets messy because it's damn near impossible to bend the paired strings evenly, so best not to try... It's generally better as a rhythm instrument, where the harmony-tuned strings really thicken the sound, which is good for playing stuff on your own that was originally done on multiple guitars or even different instruments! But it also works really well for bluesy slide stuff.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
A good mate, who was a pro muso/entertainer his entire life (retired now) used a 12 string Ovation as his main axe. He is such a good player (and singer) and he played the 12 so hard, that it sounded like five guitars. Just huge. I couldn’t play with him on an acoustic, simply would not be heard, I had to be plugged in, even though he wasn’t.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
My parents and a couple of their friends had an amateur folk/countryish band when I was a kid, so that was some source of inspiration. My mum played bass & my dad a regular (very nice Maton) 6-string acoustic. However the other bloke played a 12-string (also acoustic), and I always loved the richness of its sound, and it kind of introduced sensations I couldn't define at that age... When I started exploring ("playing" is overstating my ability), I found that electric 12-string was more prevalent than I expected, so I hunted one out. It doesn't really deserve me mashing around on it, but it is a lovely bit of kit, even if it is "only" an Epiphone. :)

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Yep a good 12 has its own thing going on.

As for it’s only an Epiphone… pffft. Who cares what’s on the headstock, if it plays and sounds great.

I’ve played plenty of Fenders and Gibsons that weren’t much chop. I’ve also played some that were just pure magic. No matter the brand, assuming not rubbish… as long as the neck is true and the frets are ok and polished, a good setup will make most guitars totally playable. With electrics, there are any number of alternative pickups, to get the tone you’re after. It’s the music, the sound, the tone and the playability that matters…

Last edited:

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Geez, ride a Giant.

Tonight’s lockdown was a measure up, for a setup of the new axe.

It’s funny but playing it for a few weeks… I had picked exactly how it would measure.

The neck relief is conservatively perfect, and the nuts slots are way too high, but the 12th fret action is superb… lower than any other guitar I own.

So, break out the nut files, polish the frets and the G and D need the minutest of intonation tweaks… and she’ll be good to go.

Because of an issue with the bridge pickup volume pot, I initially wasn’t sure whether I was gonna keep it… but I really love the colour, and the flame top… it is much better in real life than in the iPhone pics, and it sounds and plays great.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

Bluddy nice bit of 12-string slide, much better than I can play it. (I also perform great injustice to that bass line.....)

Last edited: