What does your day look like?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
A bit of Hambo'ing, some YouTube and a trip to Repco.

#1 sons car overheated on Saturday, got it home on a flatbed. Checked a few things, refilled it it water and I drove it for 30 mins. All seemed fine.

When to go to work this morning and the check engine light came on at the bottom of the hill, he drove it back up with a bit of steaming.

I took him to work at 6am :rolleyes:

Worked out it may be a faulty thermostat as the water pump was still going (dont know what the impellers will be like).

Came home, took the old thermostat out and dropped them both in an old jug, stuck a IR thermometer on the water to check the temp, the new one opens up at >82°, old one faaaked.

Win ! Wouldn't be attempting this on a modern vehicle but ok on a 23yr old very simple 2.7L Petrol Hilux.
UPDATE: What a work in progress.

So after the above Repco thermostat.

Replaced ECU temp sensor (Bursons)- still check engine light fleeting.

Cleaned and checked MAF sensor - still check engine light fleeting.

Replaced Radiator as it had a hole in it - still check engine light fleeting.

Flushed engine with demin, then coolant system flush, then filled with new Toyota coolant. No leaks now, closed cooling circuit. The coolant in there was disgusting, it was full of bars leak crap.

Replaced ECU generic temp sensor with a Toyota sensor - still check engine light fleeting.

Replaced generic thermostat with a Toyota stat - still check engine light fleeting.

Replaced radiator cap as the suction back from the overflow wasnt working - still check engine light fleeting.

Filled cooling fan viscus hub with new silicon oil - still check engine light fleeting.

*Cooling is perfect !

* Took to Toyota, they tried 3 service laptops before being able to read the code (1 hour work in the carpark, no charge :)) - PO325 Knock Sensor

The Toyota tech said he would be very surprised if the sensor had failed.

*Son works 6 days a week, its hard to get working on his car and he's happy to drive with check engine light on... but the car is unsellable with this problem.

Ordered an Ali Knock Sensor for $15, still the same check engine light pattern.

Replaced cheap Ali Sensor with original Toyota knock sensor. Cleaned the faces of the sensor port and the sensor seat with scotchbrite for a good earth. Cleaned sensor wire male pin with needle file.

Checked all wires in the loom, traced it back to the ECU loom plug, belled out 1 ohm so perfect connection pin to pin, cleaned all plugs on the ECU, and reseated them all. Pulled the sensor wire and cleaned up the female pin connector with a fiberglass brush and roughed surface with a 1mm drill bit.

Plugged in, no check engine light and he has now driven for 2 days and 150km with no light coming on.

A coincidence that the check engine light was coming on after it overheated ? Threw us off course a bit but we got there in the end with only money wasted on a couple of generic sensors.

Faaaken car was nearly more work than his bikes :rolleyes:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Can't remember, maybe width... The pedals are on the hardtail which is still in the car, which I'm not going to now... Apologies. :p

Can confirm they can take a beating though!
I've found that a lot of those composite pedals are so much stronger than one might expect.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Can't remember, maybe width... The pedals are on the hardtail which is still in the car, which I'm not going to now... Apologies. :p

Can confirm they can take a beating though!
LTIH: Lack of diagram or industry consistency in measuring pedals!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I took a train ride to a small country town that was recently the subject of much bike froth. Perhaps it was a midweek thing, but I reckon they have passed peak bike
Dungog? I've yet to go but would like to have look.

Not worth it?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Dungog? I've yet to go but would like to have look.

Not worth it?
Yes it was. The value in attending there depends on what you like to ride. There is what looks like a reasonable xc course/s (depending on perspective, but I'm not xc expert) and 3 gravity/flow trails of green to very light blue grade and fair length. These are mostly berms and bumps with a few small jumps tossed in the mix. Perhaps they are similar to Amaroo at Ourimbah but not as long. They are plenty of fun and I enjoyed them. There is also a mandatory pump track at the base. *Snip* (nb: scroll down). It is a little different to my usual taste, but I'll be back. I lived there as a kid and one of my chums has just moved back there, so it's good day out for me. As a destination for a short stay bike holiday? It's probably pretty good, especially now there is also trails at Gloucester which is not that far away. You could probably get a happy 5 day holiday. Or (if I remember correctly you E got family around here) you could undertake a very solid bike holiday based somewhere in this area and ride Ourimbah, Awaba, quarry of death, Watagans, Glenrock, dungog, Gloucester, and still not tick off all the riding in the area. Go in warmer weather and enjoy swimming/fishing (if catching tiny river fish is your thing) in the river and if you want some time off the bike the Barringtons are pretty nice for hiking or just looking.

There is also an occasional shuttle service that I have heard is pretty good, which would make for some pretty exciting days on trail!

My peak bike comment was that when the trails blew up they really blew up! The town was (by all reports) pumping. Some friends if mine were talking about buying houses there to run air b'n'bs in and another wanted to buy one of the pubs. I visited last year some time and it was much busier than I expected. Now the bike shop I'd seen there is gone and a hire place only appears to open on the weekends. I saw 2 people riding yesterday (I was on the trail for a few hours) and none the other week. Lots of shops have signs in the window asking people not to lean their bikes on them. I think the town has just returned to normal, bike riders are fickle.

*** nb - Fuck pump tracks at MTB trails! What a waste of resources. They just end up trashed and very few mountain bikes work on them. Just put a long gently descending set of rollers at the arse end of your xc trails so all those Jerrys on 29ers trying to ride the pump track (and dirt lumps) can pump their boners. The dirt jumps at the top of ourimbah should be the guiding light for track builders trying to put interesting not trail things around their trail networks. And always at the top to deter Jerry and the vandals.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Or (if I remember correctly you E got family around here)
Yeah parents live adjacent to your quarry of doom, so I'm in the region a few times a year.

Bit of an Awaba fan so I tend to go there, but really should branch out.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah parents live adjacent to your quarry of doom, so I'm in the region a few times a year.

Bit of an Awaba fan so I tend to go there, but really should branch out.

Doom is where it's at. After all the rain and a surge in popularity it needs some wheelbarrow love, but it's not close enough for me to get into it.

If you're riding the Awaba xc stuff, Dungog will give you a good time and be a new location.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
If you're riding the Awaba xc stuff, Dungog will give you a good time and be a new location.
Yeah Awaba is perfect for the hardtail. Sounds like it will work at Dungog too.

Will bring the bigger bike to try Gloucester though.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah Awaba is perfect for the hardtail. Sounds like it will work at Dungog too.

Will bring the bigger bike to try Gloucester though.
Reports and photos imply that Gloucester is more the big bike game.

I wouldn't ride dungog on a hardtail, but one of the others there yesterday did. So I deduce 1 out of 3 riders loves dungog on a hardtail.