What does your day look like?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
What are they actually like? Are they just flat black coffee, milk added, sweet or raw? I associate cans with carbonated beverages, but I'm assuming it's not carbonated coffee?

They actually have some of that brand's offerings at my local supermarket, but not being much of a coffee drinker - and not knowing what to expect - I haven't felt the need to try one yet...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Does it heat itself up?
I comes out of the vending machine hot or cold, depending which option you prefer. Both are great! You can't walk down the street without going past hundreds of vending machines. Most ski fields have vending machines scattered around as well. One of my favourite chair lifts in Madarao has a vending machine at the loading point, just in case you need a pick me up.

You can get coffee here, Japanese people love it. When I first started coming here it was mostly very American influenced, think the diner from Seinfeld. I figure that is a result of a certain pacific incident from the middle of the 1900s. The quality of coffee produced in such methods (pour over and drip filter) varied greatly and depends on the operator. My personal favourite place here for such coffee is closed this season, a worrisome thing in itself as the owners are 2 very old people who also make amazing ramen. It wasn't uncommon for cafes to make up a big pot of coffee early and then reheat it by the cup for each order. I still love an old school morning set when I'm in Tokyo (coffee, toast, boiled egg)! My go to has been running since 1967. Starbucks also had a bit of a presence, but meh. Espresso was here, but it wasn't big or easy to find.

Gradually places started to use automated espresso machines (like those jura home machines) which was unworthy of the money. One cafe I go to regularly here served this up to me the other day while I was waiting for the chairs to open.

there is also a lot of what trendy cafes in Australia might call alternative brewing. My personal favourite is the syphon! Unfortunately a cafe/roastery I really like in Nagano has closed down so I haven't been able to spend ~$15 on coffee there this year.

cammas

Seamstress
What are they actually like? Are they just flat black coffee, milk added, sweet or raw? I associate cans with carbonated beverages, but I'm assuming it's not carbonated coffee?

They actually have some of that brand's offerings at my local supermarket, but not being much of a coffee drinker - and not knowing what to expect - I haven't felt the need to try one yet...
Dare did a lightly carbonated black coffee with vanilla in a can and it was so much better than you would think, can’t seem to find them now. Monsters cappuccino in a can was pretty good as well but it too has gone, coffee in a can is a good trail side hit when you’re out in the middle of nowhere and so much better than a Redbull etc

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click

The Boss cans you find at your local supermarket will be non-carbonated. The black can is just a cold, long black and the other offerings (with milk) contain a little sugar AFAIK. If you don't drink coffee anyway, you aren't missing much. I like a cold coffee on occasion, and the Boss cans are alright.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I comes out of the vending machine hot or cold, depending which option you prefer. Both are great! You can't walk down the street without going past hundreds of vending machines. Most ski fields have vending machines scattered around as well. One of my favourite chair lifts in Madarao has a vending machine at the loading point, just in case you need a pick me up.

You can get coffee here, Japanese people love it. When I first started coming here it was mostly very American influenced, think the diner from Seinfeld. I figure that is a result of a certain pacific incident from the middle of the 1900s. The quality of coffee produced in such methods (pour over and drip filter) varied greatly and depends on the operator. My personal favourite place here for such coffee is closed this season, a worrisome thing in itself as the owners are 2 very old people who also make amazing ramen. It wasn't uncommon for cafes to make up a big pot of coffee early and then reheat it by the cup for each order. I still love an old school morning set when I'm in Tokyo (coffee, toast, boiled egg)! My go to has been running since 1967. Starbucks also had a bit of a presence, but meh. Espresso was here, but it wasn't big or easy to find.

Gradually places started to use automated espresso machines (like those jura home machines) which was unworthy of the money. One cafe I go to regularly here served this up to me the other day while I was waiting for the chairs to open.

there is also a lot of what trendy cafes in Australia might call alternative brewing. My personal favourite is the syphon! Unfortunately a cafe/roastery I really like in Nagano has closed down so I haven't been able to spend ~$15 on coffee there this year.

I used to buy coffee cans from a servo here years ago, they had a tab you pressed in the bottom of the can that would cause a chemical reaction that would heat the can up, every so often you'd get one that would get so hot that it would burn your tongue if you weren't careful. Nothing better when you're freezing cold fishing, to pull a can out of your jacket and heat your hands up with it in the middle of winter.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Totally missed this...they are mostly flat/still and all pretty sugary, even the low sugar optins. Most have milk (the milks from Hokkaido or koiwai farm for example are clearly branded) or powdered milk (you can often taste the caramlised flavour of the powdered milk). Most brands have heaps of different roasts, blends, sugar amount, milk ratio, etc. The can design is also pretty important! The shape, size, texture, colours, and so on can get very complex.

Wat are they actually like though? Like a delicious caffeine filled drink that may or may not be coffee! Most brands also make various soups in a can and hot chocolates.

The Boss (a Suntory product) cans in Australia are ok, but I think they taste very different to what is made in Japan.

Here's one of their adds

A guy I work with drinks cold brew and tonic water.

Soda water and espresso shot used to be called a Boston boiler.

Nitro cold brew is awesome.

Putting a hot can in you jacket pocket for that first icy chairlift on a snowy day feels fantastic.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Japanese office coffee is a special blend. It is some construct using only non coffee products. It is created in a thermos hot pot thing first thing in the morning by diligent and attentive tea ladies in a ceremony harking back to the days of the shoguns. Without the added spittle. It is then left in the office with large quantities of ultra high tensile cream and some white glittery substance in paper tubes labelled sucre. At any time of the day it can be poured into cups, preferably the little plastic ones that sit in their own unique design holder. It is as hot and flavourful and disgusting at 19:00 as it was at 07:00. The UHT cream though does create some lovely oil slicks on the surface of the not coffee. I mistakenly grabbed one of these early days. A mistake I only repeated once about 10 years on. Green tea (not the traditional green tea which is another subject altogether*) however is every bit as delicious as the not coffee isn't.

The canned coffee as poodles says has many uses. It can be drunk hot or cold. It be used to warm or cool. It is tremendous and usually comes in vending machines which also sell 500mL cans of Asahi or Suntori beer.

Starbucks in Japan is about as good as coffee gets unless you chance upon some boutique place that actually has an idea about what coffee should be. We all know what Starbucks is like. I even tried it in the US to see if it was better than here or other countries. It was still shite but on a par with average American cuisine (yet another story for another time).

* You must when you visit Japan attend and participate in a traditional green tea ceremony. Wear pants.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Ate a few different cuts of whale a in my second week here. It was dried and rather fishy. I have had it before cooked and served like a slow cooked brisket which I quite liked.
All the result of scientific experiments i assume?