What does your day look like?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Hang in there Giorgi they had a good innings and from the sounds of it the world is a better place for them being here.

Hard hard job going through what is left behind. Recently helped a mate deal with decades of history after his mum died. Very sad and very tough on him and the family as they were in quarantine at the end. Reminded me so much of clearing my parent's stuff years ago.

Remember the good and forget everything else.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Thank you everyone. He was a cheeky bugger, and will be sorely missed.

There were quite a few tales to tell. He was brought out here at 12 months old, and wasn't quite old enough to enlist. He claims he was responsible for ending WW1 as the day was old enough and did sign on was the day the Japanese surrendered.

Then when his Dad and brothers arrived home and recommenced running the fruit block, he decided it was his turn to see the world. He found a job clearing snow from the Heathrow Airport run way. He was being shown how to drive the snowplough, and was doing great, but his instructor was getting more and more insistent about going faster. Poppy turned to protest, but all he could see was the nose gear of a plane.

I was talking to one of my uncles and he felt as guilty as I did going through his stuff, but we were both telling ourselves that he'd want his stuff to go to people who will appreciate it rather than have it all dumped in a skip.

smaj

Likes Dirt
My condolences @Cardy George

I was talking to one of my uncles and he felt as guilty as I did going through his stuff, but we were both telling ourselves that he'd want his stuff to go to people who will appreciate it rather than have it all dumped in a skip.
I think that's a great way that his memory can live on. When my Mum died (last year), Dad was ruthless about getting rid of all her day-to-day things -- old clothes she wore around the house, medicines, etc. -- because the memories of her last days in the house were so painful. At the time I found it hard, but now we're left with only the "good" stuff, things that will remind us of the person we loved.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Mate's father had a lot of old old tools. Mostly in poor condition but he isn't a tool sort of person. That too reminded me of stuff my father had, 100 year old leather working tools and similar wood working tools. Most of which was stolen but that is another story...

Anyway mate said if there is anything you want just grab it. Thanks but no thanks, they should go to someone who will either restore them or use them or a museum. He did though have three filthy greasy old oil cans in a cardboard box which were earmarked for scrap. Can I take those, really useful to put tapping or cutting oil into. Go for it. After a good degrease it turns out one was plastic so not so old and it is now filled with tapmagic, the other pump style is brass and tinplate and the mechanism and segmented hose are stuffed. Will see if I can fix those, bit of solder on the mechanism but not sure what I can do with the hose thing but it can wait and the third was a bottom push style and it also is tinplate and brass so that will get oil for the lathe and mill. Both the tinplate ones have to be something like 75 years old so worth cleaning up and keeping for sure.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks like the 4 walls of the bedroom today. Again. Going to suck more without weekend sports to watch but binging scrubs should help.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Adelaide XC Nat Cup double header weekend - round 2. Another day standing on the hill chatting, taking photos and videos .

2nd yesterday, 2nd today... he lost to a Vic U19 hunting cup points.

EDIT: This was a nice picture before the Rotorburn site spudified it :rolleyes: