What does your day look like?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yes, conditions were ideal.
Have you made the move down here yet so you too can enjoy it?
No, not yet. A few more months.

It’s a great ride - either on the mountain bike up the North South Track and up the road from The Springs, or on the roadie starting in town :) Last time I did it on the roadie when I was down for Dark Mofo and there was snow up the top - was a mighty chilly ride back down!!

Reactions: PJO

PJO

in me vL comy
No, not yet. A few more months.

It’s a great ride - either on the mountain bike up the North South Track and up the road from The Springs, or on the roadie starting in town :) Last time I did it on the roadie when I was down for Dark Mofo and there was snow up the top - was a mighty chilly ride back down!!
Yeah, I've ridden the Mt. Wellington Challenge (time trial) a few times and it happens in March. Often have to pack a number of layers for the descent. One year we rode up to a cloud covered summit with a few inches of snow either side of the road and a gusty westerly. It was a painful descent that year!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yeah, I've ridden the Mt. Wellington Challenge (time trial) a few times and it happens in March. Often have to pack a number of layers for the descent. One year we rode up to a cloud covered summit with a few inches of snow either side of the road and a gusty westerly. It was a painful descent that year!
Painful being the operative word!! I stopped at the springs for a coffee and to massage some life back into my toes… I had at least put a rain jersey in my back pocket for its wind proofness, but the toes and fingers suffered…

What was your time up the hill? I never counted mine - just “slow” will suffice :)

Faster coming down on the Anthem than it was on the Defy though - surface too rough to go flat out on the roadie…

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
This from a bloke that hates Christmas and has a image of a blood moon as his profile pic?
Happy new year!
Careful with your bonfires pagan.
Firepit prevailed over the rain last night. Much cleaning up to be done.

Christmas and New Year are two different things.

Jpez

Down on the left!
As far as hospital views go, that's a good one. Hope Miss @Jpez is ok.
Yeah all good thanks for asking.
She got stung by a bee and got a really bad reaction to the toxins. Weird as she’s been stung twice before and by a wasp!
Quite a significant infection which super strong antibiotics took care of. Her hand was so swollen it was really scary. They were going to keep her for two nights but the infection has gone. Just insane swelling now which got the plastics doctors involved because lots of little nerves can be damaged. But antibiotics. How good is science!!

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
She got stung by a bee and got a really bad reaction to the toxins. Weird as she’s been stung twice before and by a wasp!
Quite a significant infection which super strong antibiotics took care of. Her hand was so swollen it was really scary. They were going to keep her for two nights but the infection has gone. Just insane swelling now which got the plastics doctors involved because lots of little nerves can be damaged. But antibiotics. How good is science!!
Ouch! Poor thing :( Heal fast, Miss Pez!

Edit: Could it be sensitisation to the toxin? I know it can happen with jumping ants, maybe bees too?

Last edited:

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
We were in the same boat a while ago. Son got stung by a bee. Leg puffed up antibiotics and a few days in hospital. Dr reckons bee had a dirty stinger and caused an infection. Not sure I have heard of that but scary as swelling was going up the leg and had the Drs worried.

Glad to hear all on the mend.

Minlak

custom titis
We were in the same boat a while ago. Son got stung by a bee. Leg puffed up antibiotics and a few days in hospital. Dr reckons bee had a dirty stinger and caused an infection. Not sure I have heard of that but scary as swelling was going up the leg and had the Drs worried.

Glad to hear all on the mend.
You should have put honey on it

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Strava says 1hr25min from the brewery yesterday on the roadie. First time in a long time I haven't stopped at the Springs.
I think my last leisurely effort was closer to 3 hours from Salamanca - I did stop for water a couple of times and generally "paced" myself!

Reactions: PJO

Jpez

Down on the left!
Ouch! Poor thing :( Heal fast, Miss Pez!

Edit: Could it be sensitisation to the toxin? I know it can happen with jumping ants, maybe bees too?
Not sure. The plastics registrar said it’s not common but sometimes they carry a toxin and it will affect somebody stung but most times not.