What does your day look like?

safreek

Mt Annan Marketplace, where a refusal to return one's shopping trolley to the trolley bay is considered high end social protest.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk
If you return the trolley you may well do someone out of a job, similar to self serve in shopping centers. My 5 cent worth :)

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
If you return the trolley you may well do someone out of a job, similar to self serve in shopping centers. My 5 cent worth :)
There are trolley bays in all the carparks. That is what you are returning it to, not the store. Trolley person keeps their job.

Agree with the self serve checkouts. I've never used one, and flatly refuse to.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Bunnings - Hi sir, are you paying by card today.
Me - Yeah.
Bunnings - Would you like to step over here and use self-serve.
Me - No.
Bunnings- Can I ask why sir.
Me - No.
Sadly going to have to get used to it. Coles are trialling self serve only interstate. Aldi have self service at stores now as well. I like it if I only have a few things. In out done

There are trolley bays in all the carparks. That is what you are returning it to, not the store. Trolley person keeps their job.

Some stores now outsource trolley collection. See the same bloke at Mitcham Woolies and Aldi collecting trolleys. Has to use the public loos and have seen him eating lunch in his car. Nice bloke and happy to chat. :cool:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Sadly going to have to get used to it. Coles are trialling self serve only interstate. Aldi have self service at stores now as well. I like it if I only have a few things. In out done
If they start that nonsense, people will go elsewhere.

Up on the hill here where we have more tree huggers and earth muffins per capita, a lot the cafes and shops have signs saying they prefer cash.

Good luck to Blackwood Coles if they pull that one on the conspiracy hippies.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
It's a really, really shit thing IMO.

It's not that bad as a user - but it's a bunch of "starter jobs" not available to young people to earn a wage/gain retail experience. It also means that prices go up to allow for "slippage" (theft), and things like apples which would have had different prices per variety (generally) end up with the same pricing on all varietys so you can't slip through the expensive apples as the cheap one - but the price applied to all is typically the price of the most expensive variant.

Some stores now outsource trolley collection. See the same bloke at Mitcham Woolies and Aldi collecting trolleys. Has to use the public loos and have seen him eating lunch in his car. Nice bloke and happy to chat. :cool:
Stores in Vic have done this for years. I did it part-time as a teen, wasn't too bad a job - as long as you didn't have to work in an underground/multilevel carpark. My snot would be black from the exhaust fumes after a few hours in them (one of those WHS nightmares no-one mentions...). Paid pretty well compared to most typical teen jobs at the time.

Up on the hill here where we have more tree huggers and earth muffins per capita, a lot the cafes and shops have signs saying they prefer cash.
Good luck to Blackwood Coles if they pull that one on conspiracy hippies.
Can't go elsewhere once all the major players have done the same thing.

safreek

Dumped my trolley at the end of the walkway a couple of weeks ago, bloke on a motorcycle looks at me and shakes his head.
I look back at him and shake my head and say " bloody dickheads everywhere these days " and keep walking. :D
My partner was walking about 5 metres behind me, apparently the bloke had a really pissed look on his face. Think it dawned on him I was talking about him and not myself, heh heh

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy

Good luck to Blackwood Coles if they pull that one on the conspiracy hippies.
The hippies of Stirling/Aldgate would like a word. ;) They would have to normal checkouts given the demographic up there. A lot of elderly people as well who would struggle with using a self serve checkout.

It's a really, really shit thing IMO.

It's not that bad as a user - but it's a bunch of "starter jobs" not available to young people to earn a wage/gain retail experience. It also means that prices go up to allow for "slippage" (theft), and things like apples which would have had different prices per variety (generally) end up with the same pricing on all varietys so you can't slip through the expensive apples as the cheap one - but the price applied to all is typically the price of the most expensive variant.

Stores in Vic have done this for years. I did it part-time as a teen, wasn't too bad a job - as long as you didn't have to work in an underground/multilevel carpark. My snot would be black from the exhaust fumes after a few hours in them (one of those WHS nightmares no-one mentions...). Paid pretty well compared to most typical teen jobs at the time.

The cost of living has jumped already and likely to keep rising. Woolies self serve checkouts all have cameras on them and you can see your face on the screen. Not sure if recording in case you do a dodgy on your Granny Smiths.

Not sure what entry level jobs there will be for my kids. Interesting times ahead.

rockmoose

Dumped my trolley at the end of the walkway a couple of weeks ago, bloke on a motorcycle looks at me and shakes his head.
I look back at him and shake my head and say " bloody dickheads everywhere these days " and keep walking. :D
My partner was walking about 5 metres behind me, apparently the bloke had a really pissed look on his face. Think it dawned on him I was talking about him and not myself, heh heh
Yes, a total lack of self awareness is becoming far more prevalent, as ignorant, self righteous twats fuck up everything for everyone, in their self absorbed rally to protect their freedumbs.

safreek

Yes, a total lack of self awareness is becoming far more prevalent, as ignorant, self righteous twats fuck up everything for everyone, in their self absorbed rally to protect their freedumbs.
I knew a fella that used to do trolley pushing, he couldn't give a fuck if they were put away or left in a car park, said I kept him busy.

He was actually surprised at the amount of fuckheads that would get offended on his behalf.
Think he called them virtue signaling clowns, something like that anyway ;)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The hippies of Stirling/Aldgate would like a word. ;) They would have to normal checkouts given the demographic up there. A lot of elderly people as well who would struggle with using a self serve checkout.
I dont know if its a company wide decision when they do stuff like this or if its a store manager decision but it would be a bold move up here in boondocks.

Up here people are expendable (young MTBers are the bottom of the barrel) but cut the branch off a Grey Box or displace a kangaroo and everyone loses their shit.

They dont like change.

rockmoose

I knew a fella that used to do trolley pushing, he couldn't give a fuck if they were put away or left in a car park, said I kept him busy.

He was actually surprised at the amount of fuckheads that would get offended on his behalf.
Think he called them virtue signaling clowns, something like that anyway ;)
Is anyone who doesn't like wayward trolleys smashing into their car a 'virtue signalling clown'?

I would hazard a guess there would be lots of them.

safreek

Is anyone who doesn't like wayward trolleys smashing into their car a 'virtue signalling clown'?

I would hazard a guess there would be lots of them.
He was more talking about those who go on moral crusades about it. I reckon about 50 percent of people don't use trolley bays judging by the amount always at my local carpark. They obviously are willing to risk the damage.
I suggest people worried about trolley damage don't park in supermarket carparks, most damage is done by people trying to squeeze trolleys past cars in the tight carparks.

Or use 2 carparks for protection, opens another can of worms though

rockmoose

He was more talking about those who go on moral crusades about it. I reckon about 50 percent of people don't use trolley bays judging by the amount always at my local carpark. They obviously are willing to risk the damage.
I suggest people worried about trolley damage don't park in supermarket carparks, most damage is done by people trying to squeeze trolleys past cars in the tight carparks.

Or use 2 carparks for protection, opens another can of worms though
The main failure appears to be in the 'don't be a cunt' area. In general, if people could just abide by this simple bit of self regulation, everything would be peachy.

safreek

The main failure appears to be in the 'don't be a cunt' area. In general, if people could just abide by this simple bit of self regulation, everything would be peachy.
I guess, unfortunately in our society we as individuals are all that matter.
Personally I don't judge people by an individual act. I judge them by the content of their whole character.

safreek

Nialed it in one, sheep or freedom warrior. ;)
But really, the same can be said about the weight clanger in the gym, or the person who won't merge properly into traffic, or the persons who block shop aisles whilst talking.
We all have a different moral compass which leads our lives, just because we don't fit someone else's mold does not necessarily make their stance right (or wrong)