What does your day look like?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Sounds like a you problem, no one else is complaining.
The spudification of our photos after Rotorburn gets hold of it is another issue.

We reduce the size from 7MB down to 1.9MB to upload it, then the platform mangles is and makes it look like it was taken by a potato.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
The spudification of our photos after Rotorburn gets hold of it is another issue.

We reduce the size from 7MB down to 1.9MB to upload it, then the platform mangles is and makes it look like it was taken by a potato.
Example?

Far as I can see, the platform does nothing to the photos except reject them if too large, and scales them with CSS/HTML to the appropriate size for the viewers screen. No image processing happens at all.

1.9MB is still fucking ridiculous for a website, most of mine are under 300k. You should aim for under 500k, no photo for viewing on a website should be more than that. I won't bother sending you the link to a newsletter I subscribe to that is about reducing our footprint of rubbish posted on the internet but you get the idea, you are using on average six times the storage I am per photo posted on RB.

Take a look at Photo & Picture resizer (Android, dunno about iPhone) as it works really well.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Good effort..and I can see the benefits for sure..looking out at the sun showers now and thinking it was a good investment. Still gotta take the mutt up to Kuitpo for a lap with the ebike today, but that'll be pretty quick.
I'm heading out there someday next week, for a cruise with a couple of the foxies, if you're interested?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
The photo situation is covered here:

It's got nothing to do with the mb limit, as demonstrated by the photo of the Revel.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I'm not a website expert, but at a guess the mb limit is there because the site can't do the compression on larger images.

I suspect that the reason it compresses them further is to limit the volume of data on the server every time people access the site, which presumably is a bandwidth thing that @Scott has to pay for.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
@Scotty T as per Tubbsy above.

I was part of the spuddy chat that day and was informed it pulled the quality down after resizing.
Ah yeah that direct comparison shows the site is compressing, my mistake. Ideal would be uploading something that isn't too much bigger than what the site compresses to. The Revel hosted on RB is 127k, heavily compressed.