What does your day look like?

Norco Maniac

Is back!
What about dogs like Pugs and Shar Pei, I heard they're perfect show dogs?
I hate grooming Pugs, they're in full panic mode the whole time and trying to clean their face folds as they struggle with you is a pain. I'm always worried one will have a heart attack! Aussie bulldogs too. I've never groomed a Sharpei but i can smell the yeast skin infection just looking at them. So many of these dogs have chronic candida and live their lives itching.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I hate grooming Pugs, they're in full panic mode the whole time and trying to clean their face folds as they struggle with you is a pain. I'm always worried one will have a heart attack! Aussie bulldogs too. I've never groomed a Sharpei but i can smell the yeast skin infection just looking at them. So many of these dogs have chronic candida and live their lives itching.
A friend of mine bought a Sharpei years ago, I told them not to buy it a few times, but it ended up needing multiple operations to pin the skin back above its eyes and you had to clean the wrinkles out around its face every day. It also suffered from a skin problem and mange. In the end at about two years old it had to be put down because of a bowl problem that was apparently common with the breed.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sorry, i can't agree. Show dogs have no life, either, if they're not on the grooming table or being worked, they're in a crate. Show dog people are like beauty pageant moms.
But dogs love the crate! Not to even touch on how they revel in the excitement of competition. They joy they exhibit as they trot around the ring...it's as if they were born for it!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
In the end at about two years old it had to be put down because of a bowl problem that was apparently common with the breed.
Was it having trouble using the food or water bowl? Perhaps both? I know they aren't a particularly intelligent Brees, but surely eating and drinking aren't that hard to figure out?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Was it having trouble using the food or water bowl? Perhaps both? I know they aren't a particularly intelligent Brees, but surely eating and drinking aren't that hard to figure out?
It used to make a mess everywhere with its drooling after it had a drink at the water bowl, even all over your clothes. I can't recall it having too many issues with eating and drinking. They're a high maintenance dog that's for sure. I'm still unsure why he even bought it, his GF at the time couldn't even go near it without breaking into a skin rash, it had short fur like prickles. The dog had a good temperament and was a bit clumsy at times.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It used to make a mess everywhere with its drooling after it had a drink at the water bowl, even all over your clothes. I can't recall it having too many issues with eating and drinking. They're a high maintenance dog that's for sure. I'm still unsure why he even bought it, his GF at the time couldn't even go near it without breaking into a skin rash, it had short fur like prickles. The dog had a good temperament and was a bit clumsy at times.
The ones that outgrow their wrinkles have a very unusual but interesting appearance. Their muzzle is really puffy and their eyes tiny, the rest of the body seems 2 sizes too small for their head.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I think I need my man card revoked...we're looking after this rodent dog for 10 days while it's owners are away, takes bloody ages to walk anywhere between the tiny legs not moving fast enough or the endless questions from every nonna in the suburb, kids seem to enjoy its company though.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yesterday I was in the process of doing about $34 worth of mowing and decided to head out along the 250m long driveway to tidy up next to the drain. We have had quite a lot of rain here over the last week or so and I left mowing for about a week to let the ground dry out. I am on a hilltop but because there is a lot of topsoil it can take a while to get onto the mower or tractor without leaving skid marks.

About halfway along the driveway where the drain is barely 300mm deep the zero turn ignored my input and slid into the drain. Bugger. Walk back and grab the little tractor. As I had access to the back of the mower I could open the bypass valves on both transmissions and using the front end loader lift and push the mower out of the drain. I took the tractor back and started mowing again, keeping clear of the slippery bit. Bit further along and tidying up next to the road where the drains off the road and back down the driveway join. This bit is about 2.5m below the driveway and road. Again careful to keep up away from where it will still be soggy. I was going well and navigating the slope when the drive tyres clogged with grass and mud and I managed to slide backwards into the bottom of the culvert faster than the thing will go forwards. All the while with the tyres spinning madly in the opposite direction. Bugger again, but louder. No access to the back to disconnect the hydrostatic drives as the mower was wedged into the drain. Walk back to the house to grab the tractor, a tow rope and the wife to drive one or other.

Tractor in low range 4wd (FWA for pedants since the front tyres are smaller than the rears), difflock engaged. Backed up enough to just get the towrope on the front of the mower and clipped into the drawbar. Wife looked at the muddy mess that was the mower and jumped on the tractor. Instructions were just head slowly up hill and keep an eye on me and the mower. Ok.

I learned that this means drive only looking where you are going.

I also learned that I cannot shout louder than the noise the tractor makes at 2,500rpm.

The mower pirouetted dangerously sideways as the tractor somehow was driven across the slope and not up it. For about 2 minutes it felt as though the only thing stopping the mower flipping over was that the deck was ploughing its own field in the mud. When the tow rope failed because the mower was now well stuck sideways further up the culvert a new plan was hatched. I tied the rope together and as I could now reach the drives on the mower I disconnected them. Repositioned the tractor and pulled across the bows of the mower to get the deck out from under half a metre of ploughed mud. It came free. Mower pulled up the slope far enough to drive out. Probably.

Slide sideways back down the hill and up the other side. and out on the driveway. Luckily. For the tractor had gone back to the house while I was reengaging the mower drives.

Mower needs a wash.

And I found a patch of grass about 4m x 5m that I missed the first time around.

Arrgggghhhhhhh.