What do your kids ride?

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a pair of Ride Concepts Livewire youth shoes free to a good home. Size EU 36, US 4
Pretty good nick still 7/10
Pick up northern beaches Sydney

Switch

huskier headed gent
So time for a new 24" for the girl as her younger brother has stolen her bike. The question is, is there any value in a suspension fork on a 24" bike? She has been on Commencal Ramones for last 2 bikes & the rigid is $750 or go for a Kona Honzo 24 for about $1000 with an 80mm Suntour fork.
Would love a midway bike from Commencal but its $750 for the Ramones to $2300 for the Meta.

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
So time for a new 24" for the girl as her younger brother has stolen her bike. The question is, is there any value in a suspension fork on a 24" bike? She has been on Commencal Ramones for last 2 bikes & the rigid is $750 or go for a Kona Honzo 24 for about $1000 with an 80mm Suntour fork.
Would love a midway bike from Commencal but its $750 for the Ramones to $2300 for the Meta.
View attachment 391137
View attachment 391138
20” no suspension.
If it’s a coil fork then probably not ideal on a 24” as heavy and unless your kid is on the more solid side it’s probably not going to move all that much.

I picked up a 24” giant 2nd hand with an air fork about a year ago for my 8yo which is worthwhile I think as I can drop the pressure right down (he’s more whippet than fridge build). Managed to take out an internal spacer to bump it out to a hardcore 80mm travel.

Switch

huskier headed gent
If it’s a coil fork then probably not ideal on a 24” as heavy and unless your kid is on the more solid side it’s probably not going to move all that much.
Cheers Creaky, had not noticed the coil fork, daughter is a feather weight but given her brother is a bit more of a tank and will steal it eventually, becomes more of a ?
The Manitou 24 Junit fork seems to be the fork of choice for 24" bikes but comes at a big price jump.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Cheers Creaky, had not noticed the coil fork, daughter is a feather weight but given her brother is a bit more of a tank and will steal it eventually, becomes more of a ?
The Manitou 24 Junit fork seems to be the fork of choice for 24" bikes but comes at a big price jump.
Yeah, the manitou seems to be the primo one. I forget what the one on the giant xtc 24 is. The rebound damping is far from effective but at least it moves up and down!

ausdb

Being who he is
Yeah, the manitou seems to be the primo one. I forget what the one on the giant xtc 24 is. The rebound damping is far from effective but at least it moves up and down!
Possibly some sort of suntour unit, a mates son has a 24 xtc with something similar.
I wonder how @dazz is going with the old magura I sent him to try modifying for a kids fork, he's been pretty quiet lately.

Switch

huskier headed gent

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Possibly some sort of suntour unit, a mates son has a 24 xtc with something similar.
I wonder how @dazz is going with the old magura I sent him to try modifying for a kids fork, he's been pretty quiet lately.
It's well down the list of priorities unfortunately. Was never going to be anything pretty mind you, was planning on going the full janky route... Basic plan was/is to machine off the axle mount and make up clamp on axle mounts (including the brake mount on the LH one) then can slide the axle mount up or down to suit different wheel sizes. I think my idea is less jank than that BMW though :oops:

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Just won an Ebay auction (Put on a snipe for the opening bid price...I was the only bidder) for a dually for Mr 11, looks like it's hardly been ridden from the pics, just need the guy to reply to me with the collection address. Will be a bit big for him atm but at the rate he's growing it won't be long till it fits.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
So the above Giant fell through as the buyer never replied with a collection address and ghosted me, so I had to go through the whole Paypal refund palaver.

On the plus side I picked this up today, practically brand new (although the fork is making a few squishy sounds under my weight and the KS Lev drops about half way under load). Weighs about the same as an Iowa Class Battleship but Mr 12 is stoked with the new purchase especially after a few laps of Stromlo over Christmas on his hardtail (with very minimal whinging)...and it's pissing down in Sydney again, sigh.

Last edited:

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I forgot about this thread.
My eldest has been riding an Intense race BMX (micro) for about a year or so now. I realised just before the holidays that his knees were almost hitting the handlebars. So I managed to find another Intense BMX second hand, but in "expert" size.
He wanted me to put his fav parts on (cranks, handlebars, saddle, pedals). Whilst he is a bit stretched out on it for now, he'll probably get a fair bit of time on it as I can put the original longer cranks and bigger handlebars back on it as he grows. Ideally I wanted a junior size for him but he's happy enough with what we got.

Left: micro; right: expert
IMG_20230105_204525.jpg

Expert with fav parts on it
IMG_20230105_204529.jpg