What do your kids ride?

moorey

call me Mia
Kids can go on and off things really quickly, we have went all in with the best gear on loads of sporting and hobby fads for our kids, just to be discarded at the drop of a hat.

I have seen a lot of uninterested shit kids riding expensive bikes because their parents had cash and a lot of really dedicated kids on shitters because of separated parents or some other reason.
I think a parent spending time with their kids, gauging the interest level of their child and buying them the appropriate gear is 100% the best way

If parents don't spend the time or money or throw money and no time, still the same shit situation.

No doubt there are also those out there that ride a fancy top end bike while there kids are on shitters but there may be other reasons, I have seen broken families where this was a real issue due to child support and parents that don't get on. Dad buying a decent bike for his son then him taking it to mums where it gets stolen or dad not allowing the kid to take the bike to mums.

Even in my house, they feel like they are 2nd class citizens, #2 wants a AXS Santa Cruz Megatower, #1 wants a... different bike every week.
These aren’t the people I’m talking about, but some valid points.
I’m particularly aiming at some of the Dirt Critters kids group I run. Kid is keen, comes every week, has been for years, likes to ride,…but been on the same bike for years, and it wasn’t big enough to start, but dad updates his own bike regularly.
YMMV.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I think a parent spending time with their kids, gauging the interest level of their child and buying them the appropriate gear is 100% the best way
That's the way we went with Little Sender. I was 100% expecting to find it left out in the rain, on it's side, in the mud, but no, it is his Race Bike and he treats it as such.

Problem will be trying to get hold of something that fits him.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
These aren’t the people I’m talking about, but some valid points.
I’m particularly aiming at some of the Dirt Critters kids group I run. Kid is keen, comes every week, has been for years, likes to ride,…but been on the same bike for years, and it wasn’t big enough to start, but dad updates his own bike regularly.
YMMV.
100%, there are some selfish parents... I have just not seen any that have their own nice bike and that being detrimental to the participation of their kids.

There is a fine line to what parents see and what we see.

You would be more adept seeing that than us 'shitters' being a teacher and dirt skills coach.

I would hope most parents do what they can... though broken marriages throw a spanner in those works.

moorey

call me Mia
100%, there are some selfish parents... I have just not seen any that have their own nice bike and that being detrimental to the participation of their kids.

There is a fine line to what parents see and what we see.

You would be more adept seeing that than us 'shitters' being a teacher and dirt skills coach.

I would hope most parents do what they can... though broken marriages throw a spanner in those works.
Like I said, YMMV. That’s the exception, not the rule in my experience.

ozzybmx

That's the way we went with Little Sender. I was 100% expecting to find it left out in the rain, on it's side, in the mud, but no, it is his Race Bike and he treats it as such.
So you created the beast, you have won !

He is a MTBer and (tries) to look after his bike, even if he's going to smash the shit out of it, he still rides and tries his best.

That's the cost we will easily bare, we made them MTBers, they are... and now faster and better than us.

Parents that don't see that participation treat it like the scooter fad, skateboard, lacrosse... all those other things that cost $$$

It makes me proud, though sad at my parts bill.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
So you created the beast, you have won !

He is a MTBer and (tries) to look after his bike, even if he's going to smash the shit out of it, he still rides and tries his best.

That's the cost we will easily bare, we made them MTBers, they are... and now faster and better than us.

Parents that don't see that participation treat it like the scooter fad, skateboard, lacrosse... all those other things that cost $$$

It makes me proud, though sad at my parts bill.
They're not big enough to challenge me yet, but that day will come. The Vice Captain's power to weight is already up there and he's asking for training advice so he can race in the 6hr at Melrose :rolleyes: (if we make it)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
They're not big enough to challenge me yet, but that day will come. The Vice Captain's power to weight is already up there and he's asking for training advice so he can race in the 6hr at Melrose :rolleyes: (if we make it)
#1 got a dually before I did. Riding with the kids started with keep up boys, I am just putting along then came let's go faster to holy shit this is close to Dad if you can't keep up we will wait for you in the carpark.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
While I want my boys to have a good (size/capability) bikes to ride, I don't want to see them dumped on the footpath with their mates' shitters when they all run into the corner shop, or into Jimmy's house for a snack. Too many scumbags will just pick up a nice bike and drive/ride away.

But then again, I also want them to have that freedom and not stress about their bike when riding around with their mates. So i figure a couple of sub $100 bmx bikes will sort them for riding with friends (maybe even give them some little wheel skillz). The good bikes stay in the garage unless they're riding trails and will not be leaving them unattended.

ozzybmx

Thinking of putting mine back on beater bikes. Little shits :D
Its actually a proud moment... for a moment.

Then all those years of you encouraging them up the hill turns to you chasing them... but they are not up there encouraging you...

They are on their phones, flicking through shit pages in the most uninterested, 'im fucking bored', what took you so long dickhead pose that could be ever be imagined, you arrive short of breath and they give you a quick look at you as if you had just crawled out from under a rock... while tucking their phones away ready for the next section of leaving looser dad behind.

Lil chunts, get them on beaters :p:p:p

Mine are at the stage they could beat me on 20kg OFO citi bikes :rolleyes:

Well... for the first 10km anyway.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Its actually a proud moment... for a moment.

Then all those years of you encouraging them up the hill turns to you chasing them... but they are not up there encouraging you...

They are on their phones, flicking through shit pages in the most uninterested, 'im fucking bored', what took you so long dickhead pose that could be ever be imagined, you arrive short of breath and they give you a quick look at you as if you had just crawled out from under a rock... while tucking their phones away ready for the next section of leaving looser dad behind.

Lil chunts, get them on beaters :p:p:p

Mine are at the stage they could beat me on 20kg OFO citi bikes :rolleyes:

Well... for the first 10km anyway.

View attachment 377912
At least until the credit runs out and that wheel clamp engages.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Edit: Actually, what are peoples thoughts on the Ragley Marley these days? At 1/3 the cost of a Paradox and meeting all requirements except non-boost (which I can fix with some spacers), it seems like a pretty reasonable way to go? Surely some 26" wheels with large rubber would work well enough in that.
So I may have forgotten which decade I'm in and totally forgot that bikes are a little hard to come by at the moment. Options on bikes I can actually buy seem very limited, but this has not dissuaded my son from growing faster than a weed in spring.
I have found an Octane One Sour I could buy in a small and it seems to fit the bill - Octane One Sour 27.5+ Frame 2021 | Chain Reaction Cycles . Anyone got any experience with these? Reviews seem positive, geometry looks good and component compatibility works. It's a + bike, but that should help in this case really. Rear 135x10 dropouts actually work in my favour, as the wheels I have are set up 135x10 bolt through conversion.

$200 shipping hurts, but still better than anything I can get in Australia that I could find. Plus that yellow paint job looks the business.

jasevr4

Likes Dirt
What's the go for a 16" kids bike these days? I don't mind if it has a coaster brake, but there needs to be provisions for a rear or disc or V-brake later on.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
What's the go for a 16" kids bike these days? I don't mind if it has a coaster brake, but there needs to be provisions for a rear or disc or V-brake later on.
By the time they need / can handle a rear hand brake, they will be ready for a 20" bike anyway. Don't stress about brake compatibility.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I got a second hand 16" Islabike for my son. Front and rear v-brake and narry a coaster (crapster) to be seen.
He started out on a coaster brake bike but couldn't get his head around the backpedal action.
The Islabike he has uses these junior tektro levers:
He didn't have any problems getting used to hand brakes, especially with having easy reach levers.