What do your kids ride?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
We're thinking of flying to Brisbane in July to buy a ute and drive back as a touring holiday.

While we're there we were thinking of picking these up (subject to stock) -

My 7yr old daughter -

And this one for my 11yr old son -

This one comes with a dropper and I'd like to get him used to riding with one!

Jpez

Down on the left!
Hi Jpez. Did the Prevelo Alpha2 find a new home? My 4yo has been riding an Alpha1 over the last year. Great little bike. Same colour! Interested in a size up.
Yes it did mate. @slowmick s daughter now has it.
there are a couple of small Scott bikes on the FB pages at the moment maybe worth looking at. I think they were 16” but possibly 20”

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I've been trying to make up my mind as to the next bike for my 7yo. He's currently on a 20" Polygon Relic, but growing fast and watching all his mates ride 'big bikes', so he's been on my case as to when he get's his next bike. I don't think he needs one just yet and I'm still hoping to get another year out of the Relic, but planning is everything and I want to make sure he's riding the right bike when the time comes.

What I do have already is a 26" SC Blur TRc (large) sitting unused downstairs. Now being a large, I'd say it'll still be too big by the time he grows out of the Relic, but what about a small 26" frame? Has anyone managed to successfully move their kids off a 20" straight up to a 26"? I could pull all the gear off the Blur until he's ready to ride that, and simultaneously give myself an excuse to progressively buy more bits (I mean, his younger brother will need a bigger bike too eventually :D).

The bike would ideally be something in the 130mm travel range, as I've got Pike DP Air's at 130-150 on the Blur at the moment. I'd be aiming for a HT, but also have 200x51 and 200x57 RS Monarch's around to use if need be as well. It seems like it could be a budget conscious way of building up a mean steed for the aspiring mountain biker.

Thoughts?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Has anyone managed to successfully move their kids off a 20" straight up to a 26"? I could pull all the gear off the Blur until he's ready to ride that, and simultaneously give myself an excuse to progressively buy more bits (I mean, his younger brother will need a bigger bike too eventually :D).
I'm thinking about doing this with my (about to be) 8yo ..... but using my wife's bike as the parts source !!!

Just need to find an XS 26" frame with threaded BB & QR dropouts. I guess short cranks would be good too ....

Hmm, it will add up though so maybe better to just buy a pre-built 24". I'm not aiming for the parent of the kid with an s-works type outcome.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Has anyone managed to successfully move their kids off a 20" straight up to a 26"?
Thoughts?
Yes. I moved my daughter from 20" to a small, or maybe XS, Giant Talon. Built it up with bits I picked up here and there. 100mm dropper was the winner, allowed feet to get to the ground when coming to a stop.

HamboCairns

Yes. I moved my daughter from 20" to a small, or maybe XS, Giant Talon. Built it up with bits I picked up here and there. 100mm dropper was the winner, allowed feet to get to the ground when coming to a stop.
You must have had that 20" saddle way high! An XS Giant is rated for 155cm tall!

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I've been trying to make up my mind as to the next bike for my 7yo. He's currently on a 20" Polygon Relic, but growing fast and watching all his mates ride 'big bikes', so he's been on my case as to when he get's his next bike. I don't think he needs one just yet and I'm still hoping to get another year out of the Relic, but planning is everything and I want to make sure he's riding the right bike when the time comes.

What I do have already is a 26" SC Blur TRc (large) sitting unused downstairs. Now being a large, I'd say it'll still be too big by the time he grows out of the Relic, but what about a small 26" frame? Has anyone managed to successfully move their kids off a 20" straight up to a 26"? I could pull all the gear off the Blur until he's ready to ride that, and simultaneously give myself an excuse to progressively buy more bits (I mean, his younger brother will need a bigger bike too eventually :D).

The bike would ideally be something in the 130mm travel range, as I've got Pike DP Air's at 130-150 on the Blur at the moment. I'd be aiming for a HT, but also have 200x51 and 200x57 RS Monarch's around to use if need be as well. It seems like it could be a budget conscious way of building up a mean steed for the aspiring mountain biker.

Thoughts?
Moved my young bloke from a 20" POS Kmart bike a 24" chucker after 1 week, then straight onto a small giant yukon. This was at about 6yo, when his proportions were still realitive to my borderline midget status. The very low ST/TT junction was the key on that one. The little chunts are adaptable, and a too small bike will be more detrimental than a too big bike. Odds are, after a month, he'll be able to out ride you, on a bike 2 sizes too big for you....

He's now 14, as tall as me, and I'm thinking I may have to scrap the medium 26er I'm prepping for him, and go straight to a large 650ber...

it's a nice bridge...

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
You must have had that 20" saddle way high! An XS Giant is rated for 155cm tall!
Nope. Probably would have moved her to 24" but the 26" was easier to achieve.

Last edited:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
My two moved up from the Polygon Relic 20" to the Marin Hawk Hill Jr about 12 months ago, I can't really fault the polygons other than the weight, they have had the absolute crap ridden out of them, worn all the coating off the stanchions, busted the chain guides and generally bashed the shit out of them
they are currently riding the HH's as 24" F+R, But I am about to pull the front wheels down and lace up as 26/24 mullet..the added bonus of the Hawk Hill is that it is basically an XS 26'er that comes standard with 24" wheels so you can slowly upsize the bike without having to outlay too much in new bikes...I can go from 24/24 to 24/26 and 26/26 with only rims, spokes and tires to replace.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just noticed that Giant now make a kids Trance (26"). Looks a reasonable option, maybe not the best value but good that the bigger manufacturers are finally making decent kids bikes

HamboCairns

Just noticed that Giant now make a kids Trance (26"). Looks a reasonable option, maybe not the best value but good that the bigger manufacturers are finally making decent kids bikes
That's good to see. It still amazes me that brands don't build decent children's 20" and 24" wheeled bikes -

Rigid fork
Wider range cassette (E.g. Microshift Acolyte)
Trigger shifters (Shimano H315 or Microshift Acolyte)
Hydraulic brakes with adjustable levers (E.g. Tektro H275)
2.25 tyres

boyracer

Likes Dirt
just moved on all the 20's and now have a fleet of 26 inch HT MTB's for mine aged 8, 10 and 13.
8 y.o is 133cm and easily rides a small 14 inch mtb frame. They are loving the extra speed. I saved these frames in the rafters for ages for this purpose. Many thanks to Connor Fearon for winning on a hardtail to help explain this as building riding ability/ ability to climb and pick a line kind of thing. A lot of local kids getting polygon/marin/merida duallies for b'day /xmas ...much plough, much heavy and much more maintenance for Dad.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I'm thinking about doing this with my (about to be) 8yo ..... but using my wife's bike as the parts source !!!

Just need to find an XS 26" frame with threaded BB & QR dropouts. I guess short cranks would be good too ....

Hmm, it will add up though so maybe better to just buy a pre-built 24". I'm not aiming for the parent of the kid with an s-works type outcome.
That's pretty much my thinking too. He rides with a lot of kids from school who seem to be in a different league of disposable income. I'm also not particularly interested in just handing him everything on a silver platter, I feel he could learn a lot about the value & mechanics of the bike if we build it together as a project. He's already interested in helping out with the maintaining of his current bike, so this is a logical (big) next step.

Fortunately, the bike I'm moving parts off is fitted with Hope hubs, so I'm flexible in axle types. All my bikes are non-boost, threaded BB though, as I'm a luddite who refuses to acknowledge those 2 standards. I feel like I may be looking for older 26" frames from back in the glory days? Which does remind me though, I do know of a seldom ridden, 26" medium Trance 2 I may be able to get my hands on, although it still feels like that may be a bit big? Especially considering the large SC Blur ran a bit small, there wouldn't be a whole lot of difference between the 2.

Odds are, after a month, he'll be able to out ride you, on a bike 2 sizes too big for you....
Oh my days outriding either of my kids are definitely numbered. A 26" bike will probably seal the deal much sooner too.
Many thanks to Connor Fearon for winning on a hardtail to help explain this as building riding ability/ ability to climb and pick a line kind of thing. A lot of local kids getting polygon/marin/merida duallies for b'day /xmas ...much plough, much heavy and much more maintenance for Dad.
Same situation I'm in, and I also would prefer a hardtail for similar reasons.

By the sounds of it, this is a solid plan in which nothing could possibly go wrong. Let the hunt for the small, 26" hardtail, non-boost, threaded BB, 130mm travel unicorn bike begin. Anyone selling a small Banshee Paradox frame?

Edit: Actually, what are peoples thoughts on the Ragley Marley these days? At 1/3 the cost of a Paradox and meeting all requirements except non-boost (which I can fix with some spacers), it seems like a pretty reasonable way to go? Surely some 26" wheels with large rubber would work well enough in that.

Last edited:

HamboCairns

That's pretty much my thinking too. He rides with a lot of kids from school who seem to be in a different league of disposable income. I'm also not particularly interested in just handing him everything on a silver platter, I feel he could learn a lot about the value & mechanics of the bike if we build it together as a project. He's already interested in helping out with the maintaining of his current bike, so this is a logical (big) next step.

Fortunately, the bike I'm moving parts off is fitted with Hope hubs, so I'm flexible in axle types. All my bikes are non-boost, threaded BB though, as I'm a luddite who refuses to acknowledge those 2 standards. I feel like I may be looking for older 26" frames from back in the glory days? Which does remind me though, I do know of a seldom ridden, 26" medium Trance 2 I may be able to get my hands on, although it still feels like that may be a bit big? Especially considering the large SC Blur ran a bit small, there wouldn't be a whole lot of difference between the 2.

Oh my days outriding either of my kids are definitely numbered. A 26" bike will probably seal the deal much sooner too.

Same situation I'm in, and I also would prefer a hardtail for similar reasons.

By the sounds of it, this is a solid plan in which nothing could possibly go wrong. Let the hunt for the small, 26" hardtail, non-boost, threaded BB, 130mm travel unicorn bike begin. Anyone selling a small Banshee Paradox frame?

Edit: Actually, what are peoples thoughts on the Ragley Marley these days? At 1/3 the cost of a Paradox and meeting all requirements except non-boost (which I can fix with some spacers), it seems like a pretty reasonable way to go? Surely some 26" wheels with large rubber would work well enough in that.
As a Ragley Big Al owner, I can only say it's a brilliant bike for me. It's pretty close in spirit to a Nukeproof Scout.

The Big Al can take a 2.8 650b out back so I'd imagine a Marley would accept a 2.8 26" wheel.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Got the chance to have a look at a 2021 Giant STP for my 10 yr old son. Bought it. Nice little bike. We went for a ride today and he was flying on it. Really seems like a good value little rig. Straight up changed front ardent out for a DHF (he had same on his 24") Now I just need to either find a external actuated dropper or drill the frame for a internal routed one.