What do your kids ride?

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
What model shifters? Deore? XT? Tourney?
It was on a 7 speed, so quality may have played a part. It was the distance of throw that was the issue, not the easy of use. Miss 8 can now use the rear trigger (I removed the front and converted to x1). The next issue it getting them to actually use the shifter rather than waiting until too late and running out of steam

rstim

Likes Dirt
Any clothing suggestions (shoes, pads, shorts) for small 8-10yr old boys?

My kids need some better gear, but I'm not super keen on $120ish fox shorts, and similarly high priced five ten shoes, as my only options.
No first hand experience but have seen this gear and seems reasonably priced and looks good. Hard to stomach $100+ for shorts considering how quick they grow.
As for shoes maybe some vans or other type of skate shoes, Dunlop volleys should be plenty grippy too.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
No first hand experience but have seen this gear and seems reasonably priced and looks good. Hard to stomach $100+ for shorts considering how quick they grow.
As for shoes maybe some vans or other type of skate shoes, Dunlop volleys should be plenty grippy too.
They have standards you know, cant be seen out in shit gear. Troy Lee, Fox, Dharco, Evoc, ION, IXS, POC and all the expensive shit.

My missus keeps a decent eye on bike gear for them and sees when stuff goes on sale but on birthdays and the likes, it $130 Fox shorts and matching $70 jersey combos.

Keeping my 2 in bikes, keeping them running, replacing parts and dressing them in cool stuff they either grow out of or trash is the most expensive part of my cycling. I wouldn't change it for the world but looking forward to hear them squeal when they have to pay for it themselves.

Luckily they are both in my shoe size at the moment, currently riding my 2FO's and ION Rascals and I got to buy a new pair :p

All the clothes and shoes that survive, gets given to a mate who has 2 boys a little bit younger than mine, if anything survives them, it goes to another friend of ours, though not much makes it that far.

rstim

Likes Dirt
They have standards you know, cant be seen out in shit gear. Troy Lee, Fox, Dharco, Evoc, ION, IXS, POC and all the expensive shit.

My missus keeps a decent eye on bike gear for them and sees when stuff goes on sale but on birthdays and the likes, it $130 Fox shorts and matching $70 jersey combos.

Keeping my 2 in bikes, keeping them running, replacing parts and dressing them in cool stuff they either grow out of or trash is the most expensive part of my cycling. I wouldn't change it for the world but looking forward to hear them squeal when they have to pay for it themselves.

Luckily they are both in my shoe size at the moment, currently riding my 2FO's and ION Rascals and I got to buy a new pair

All the clothes and shoes that survive, gets given to a mate who has 2 boys a little bit younger than mine, if anything survives them, it goes to another friend of ours, though not much makes it that far.
I'm sure this will be me in a few years with my 3 boys 5, 3 and 0 but I'll love every minute of it.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

I'm sure this will be me in a few years with my 3 boys 5, 3 and 0 but I'll live every minute of it.
You have a good hand-me-down plan going on there, I had 2 boys at 9 months and 29 days apart, don't know how that happened but they might as well be twins.

Same size bikes, feet and clothes their whole life so far.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
We've found DC shoes to be the best, price wise(always buy specials) and good sole pattern. When it comes to riding gear, nothing beats kmart/target stuff lol. Our kids get a choice of really good bikes, good safety gear and average riding gear or.... well they don't get that choice hahaha.

rstim

Likes Dirt
You have a good hand-me-down plan going on there, I had 2 boys at 9 months and 29 days apart, don't know how that happened but they might as well be twins.

Same size bikes, feet and clothes their whole life so far.
Yeah it has already started Mr 5 is onto a 20 inch Mr 3 then took over the 16 inch. Makes forking out for quality bikes easy knowing they will get maximum use.

ozzybmx

Are Chinese mtb clothes a bit shit?
Probably most of what we would call good MTB clothing is made in China or other surrounding countries anyway. The problem with it not being a run directly from Fox, TLD ect would be the quality control, materials and construction.

A company can copy a garment but with inferior materials, workmanship and construction quality.

Not to say that licensed runs have not been continued and sold after the quota with "TLD" have been filled. You could hit it lucky.

We had a bit of a discussion on another thread last night, between @Flow-Rider and I, we have ordered some of this stuff. Very tempted to order the long pants, 1 x Fox and 1 x TLD.

I ordered a SM Dharco jersey and a pair of 30 waist Fox shorts last night, will report on the findings when they arrive.

Ordered a

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
OK I'll swerve them!

I need to find some reasonable mtb gear for them in the next couple of months.
I've picked up some quality shorts for Mr 10 off Ebay that's been almost new....purely because the buggers won't stop growing, or new stuff from Sendy (FMD that's a terrible brand name)

How big is Jr Hambo?I have a load I'm about to get rid of.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I've picked up some quality shorts for Mr 10 off Ebay that's been almost new....purely because the buggers won't stop growing, or new stuff from Sendy (FMD that's a terrible brand name)

How big is Jr Hambo?I have a load I'm about to get rid of.
Mr Jr Hambo is 151.5cm tall and Miss Jr Hambo is 132.5.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Similar to mine...

Fair chance these are knock-offs being new and cheap.

Half price of new.