What do your kids ride?

PJO

in me vL comy
What are peoples thoughts on upgrading the clunky twist shift that came on my kids bike to a trigger shifter. Is it a no brainer? The grip shifter if really stiff so to my mind it makes sense to change it out for a simple trigger shifter but no idea if kids find them easy to master or not compared to a grip shift.
My boys have had no problem with the right hand shifters for 9/10speed, but if you do run a front derailleur they have struggled up shifting on the left trigger shifter.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
i pulled the twisty apart and gave it a tweak + new cable = butter smooth.
All 3 kids have been introduced to twist shift.
Oldest now on shimano trigger and often gets it wrong...

stirk

Burner
No child's bike should have a front derailleur or a grip shifter imo.
I have a 24" polygon bike my son used and now my daughter is riding. The twist shift is fine so long as it works easily. My daughter is 8 and might struggle with a trigger. They are fine for kids.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I gave the bike to her this arvo and expected it to take a while for her to work out the gears. Nope. She had it sorted within 50 meters.
But the twist shift is stiff and clunky so will pull it apart, give it a tickle and a new cable.

ausdb

Being who he is
What are peoples thoughts on upgrading the clunky twist shift that came on my kids bike to a trigger shifter. Is it a no brainer? The grip shifter if really stiff so to my mind it makes sense to change it out for a simple trigger shifter but no idea if kids find them easy to master or not compared to a grip shift.
I say trigger is better as long as their hands are big enough to reach the triggers. Also even tho purists hate it I think the indicators are useful for kids even if they don't have numbers.

ausdb

Being who he is
I gave the bike to her this arvo and expected it to take a while for her to work out the gears. Nope. She had it sorted within 50 meters.
But the twist shift is stiff and clunky so will pull it apart, give it a tickle and a new cable.
I tried that on my sons, was a waste of cable and outer. The old grip shift 800s I had on a bike years ago shifted better.

ausdb

Being who he is
You’re right! I’ve got a Sram xo1 12 speed cassette, some Chromag Dagga pedals with extra long 16mm grub screws and a spare set of EEwings cranks I’m dying to put on! :D
Sweet maybe just detune the pins a little or she'll hate you when she grows up :)

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
New bike day for Mr 10, I got shafted by a dickhead seller on Ebay so got sick of waiting for a second hand option to pop up and there was only 3 of these left in the country apparently, so I just bit the bullet and ponied up. I took it for a whirl around the oval and it's not a bad bit of kit but the Judy fork is woeful, he doesn't know any different though and he loves the thing. First proper ride tomorrow will be a hoot.

moorey

call me Mia
New bike day for Mr 10, I got shafted by a dickhead seller on Ebay so got sick of waiting for a second hand option to pop up and there was only 3 of these left in the country apparently, so I just bit the bullet and ponied up. I took it for a whirl around the oval and it's not a bad bit of kit but the Judy fork is woeful, he doesn't know any different though and he loves the thing. First proper ride tomorrow will be a hoot.

Nice. What wheel size?

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Nice. What wheel size?
27.5, wanted to get something that'll last a few years and 26" inch tyres are getting hard enough to find and didn't want to chuck him on a 29r, probably a smidge too big for him now but he'll grow into it and Miss 8 will inherit his Commencal.

moorey

call me Mia
27.5, wanted to get something that'll last a few years and 26" inch tyres are getting hard enough to find and didn't want to chuck him on a 29r, probably a smidge too big for him now but he'll grow into it.
Cool cool. Just posted up some pretty cheap carbon wheels for sale...but 26. They’re crying out for a kids build.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Bit late to the party RE trigger shifters. Smalls hands struggle, especially front shifter. I converted a 24" bike to triggers but had to switch back to twist as they didn't have enough leverage with their thumbs.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Bit late to the party RE trigger shifters. Smalls hands struggle, especially front shifter. I converted a 24" bike to triggers but had to switch back to twist as they didn't have enough leverage with their thumbs.
What model shifters? Deore? XT? Tourney?

I wonder if the Microshift Acolyte would be better suited?

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Any clothing suggestions (shoes, pads, shorts) for small 8-10yr old boys?

My kids need some better gear, but I'm not super keen on $120ish fox shorts, and similarly high priced five ten shoes, as my only options.