What do your kids ride?

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been informed by Commencal my son's Ramones 16 doesn't meet Aus law as it doesn't have a rear coaster brake, which is the exact reason I bought it for his progression. Also the reason why it is currently not available for sale, and Commencal says won't be in future. Sucks.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I've been informed by Commencal my son's Ramones 16 doesn't meet Aus law as it doesn't have a rear coaster brake, which is the exact reason I bought it for his progression. Also the reason why it is currently not available for sale, and Commencal says won't be in future. Sucks.
It’s not against the law as such just doesn’t meet Australian standards for retail sale.
You can still order them from OS though yeah?
I bought my PREVELO 16” without coaster brakes direct from company.
That aus standard is ridiculous. Apparently kids under 6 or something don’t have the coordination, dexterity or brain power to use two hand brakes.
My 4 year old girl does just fine and still manages to pull sick skidz!

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe better said @Jpez but the effect is the same, not lawful for Commencal to sell here as-is. I've tried sourcing it from OS for a few friends but the ability to ship here is not available. Hand brake skiddies are way better anyway, I'm teaching mine to let off the brake after dropping one to ride out of it, siiiick.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Maybe better said @Jpez but the effect is the same, not lawful for Commencal to sell here as-is. I've tried sourcing it from OS for a few friends but the ability to ship here is not available. Hand brake skiddies are way better anyway, I'm teaching mine to let off the brake after dropping one to ride out of it, siiiick.
Thats a bummer. So you have a freewheel or a coaster brake Ramones?
Some companies that do sell kids bikes with freewheel in the states will ship here with a coater brake and sell the free wheel kit separately. Maybe that's an option.

rstim

Likes Dirt
I received the same email and bought one for the same reason as it had no coaster brake, glad I did before this happened. So much easier for the little ones to learn to pedal without a coaster brake causing problems. The hand braking was no problem for my 3.5 as his spawn tengu had a rear brake which he was used to using.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I received the same email and bought one for the same reason as it had no coaster brake, glad I did before this happened. So much easier for the little ones to learn to pedal without a coaster brake causing problems. The hand braking was no problem for my 3.5 as his spawn tengu had a rear brake which he was used to using.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Yet a balance bike is fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
It’s not against the law as such just doesn’t meet Australian standards for retail sale.
You can still order them from OS though yeah?
I bought my PREVELO 16” without coaster brakes direct from company.
That aus standard is ridiculous. Apparently kids under 6 or something don’t have the coordination, dexterity or brain power to use two hand brakes.
My 4 year old girl does just fine and still manages to pull sick skidz!
I never knew this. Maybe the they should look into the BMX race scene where kids are racing from the age of 3/4 on race bikes with only rear hand brake and until recently prob clipped in as well. "Coordination, dexterity or brain power"..... pffffffff !! Now I know why we couldn't find a decent bike with a hand brake and had to import... hummmm

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nanny state bureaucrats tryna dumb the world down :mad:

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Young fella has stepped up to 26" (just) at 8 years old. Frame supplied by @moorey with bits and pieces from the parts bin to finish it off. He's loving it!

Daughter is now on a 16" Specialized at 5 and has been getting faster and faster. Balance bikes have made getting our kids onto pedal bikes so much easier!

Switch

huskier headed gent
I am in the same position with the Ramones 16, had not noticed as currently have the cranks off to use as a balance bike. Daughter was about to have the cranks put back on when the email came through. The problem I have with no coaster brake is my daughter has a medical condition that would make hand brakes very difficult meaning a coaster brake is needed. I have sent an email back to Commencal regarding if there is anything that can be done to retrofit, just waiting on a reply.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome, @slider_phil, glad it’s found a good home. Quinn loved it, it’s a ripper little frame.
It'll be interesting when it's the daughters turn for the hand me down. She's been using Ryan's bikes but we've had to do something each time to "girly" it up. Bar streamers, baskets etc. But this last one she's taken too without much issue thankfully

slowmick

38-39"
Wifey good wife wants to get our daughter a scooter for her third birthday. She has balance bikes and a well shagged Dora the explorer scooter (1 @front, 2 @ rear).
Looking at toddler scooters - 2 @ front and 1 @ rear. So many options ranging from disposable to ridiculous.
Any suggestions for a good value scooter?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Not too clued up on the scooter market by 3yo girl has one of these that she rips along on:

Adjustable height bars which is good depending on age. By the time they are 5 they go well on a 2 wheel scooter, which dad can ride too.

ausdb

Being who he is
Young fella has stepped up to 26" (just) at 8 years old. Frame supplied by @moorey with bits and pieces from the parts bin to finish it off. He's loving it!

Sorry for the necropost, @slider phil and Moorey what frame is that?
My Mr8 has just about outgrown his Superfly 20 and I am thinking of going a small 26" next and skipping a 24" plus all of my mtb stuff is old vintage 26" so it gives me an excuse to get a new bike myself and put the decent bits on his.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Sorry for the necropost, @slider phil and Moorey what frame is that?
My Mr8 has just about outgrown his Superfly 20 and I am thinking of going a small 26" next and skipping a 24" plus all of my mtb stuff is old vintage 26" so it gives me an excuse to get a new bike myself and put the decent bits on his.
what is the budget?

ausdb

Being who he is
Not much! :)
To be honest I haven't thought a lot about it, are you looking to sell something?

Last edited: