What do your kids ride?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Well it's here and the stoke levels are high. My daughter had no idea I was getting it, I tried to sneak the bike into the laundry only to hear her come running. "What was that bike noise?" She heard the click of the The freehub from inside the house when I was riding it up the driveway. Pumped the tires and off we went for a try. Gave it a nice wash down afterward. She asked to have it sleep in her room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Yeah and she doesn't really like pink, purple is more her style.
Looks like the plastic pedals are pretty chewed up and the left one has a rough action on the axle/bearing. Any harm in running normal size platform or just stick with a new set of plastic kids size?

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Yeah and she doesn't really like pink, purple is more her style.
Looks like the plastic pedals are pretty chewed up and the left one has a rough action on the axle/bearing. Any harm in running normal size platform or just stick with a new set of plastic kids size?

Spawn.jpg

These were ours just before hand over to the kids, both bikes look like poo now,, haha. We've always used adult pedals on the kids bikes. They Nukeproofs are pretty good, cheap, light, thin and smallish for adult pedals. One issue with the Spawn is that they have very low BBs and the kids will get more pedal strikes esp if they have the pedals in the wrong position or pedaling round corners.......... on the plus side, def teaches them where to pedal and not,,, hehehe.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
View attachment 340724

These were ours just before hand over to the kids, both bikes look like poo now,, haha. We've always used adult pedals on the kids bikes. They Nukeproofs are pretty good, cheap, light, thin and smallish for adult pedals. One issue with the Spawn is that they have very low BBs and the kids will get more pedal strikes esp if they have the pedals in the wrong position or pedaling round corners.......... on the plus side, def teaches them where to pedal and not,,, hehehe.
They look so good new!
I've actually got a set of those composite nuke proof flats on my commuter so good to know they worked well with the kids.

A few questions,

Where did you Get the tyres from?
The ones we got are pretty worn, so I'll be up for new ones pretty soon.

Were your brakes flipped? Any advantage to the big downturn on the levers?

Different seatpost on the blue one?

I'm wondering if I can get a quick release for front and rear, the old bolt through is all gnarled and rusted.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
We've always used adult pedals on the kids bikes. They Nukeproofs are pretty good, cheap, light, thin and smallish for adult pedals.
How do your kids go with these pedal on their shins ? I would like to get my boys some 'better' pedals but have them still on composite/plastic pedals with little molded plastic nipples, so they don't tear their legs to bits when they slip off the pedal.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
They look so good new!
I've actually got a set of those composite nuke proof flats on my commuter so good to know they worked well with the kids.

A few questions,

Where did you Get the tyres from?
The ones we got are pretty worn, so I'll be up for new ones pretty soon.

Were your brakes flipped? Any advantage to the big downturn on the levers?

Different seatpost on the blue one?

I'm wondering if I can get a quick release for front and rear, the old bolt through is all gnarled and rusted.

The tyres came with the bikes. I think our bikes were the next model out after yours as the tyres on that was what came with our Fuji bikes previously. The bikes hardly get used so I haven't needed to source any tyres for them. I remembered last I looked you could get the new tyres from Spawn Cycles, but that was a long long time ago.

There's a big chance the brake levers were swapped out, can't remember. The downturn is to promote DH positioning,,, haha... na, just gets the kids into a better hand and riding position.

Both seat and seat post are just park pivotal seat and post, just different colours.

Got no idea about the quick release. Really depends on what you're after with the bike and what kind of riding you plan for the bub. If you want to customize and look into mtb and park there's not too many options but if you want to go CRAZY with weights and what not look down the BMX race side,,, you can absolutely go BANANAS$$$$$$$$ haha.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
How do your kids go with these pedal on their shins ? I would like to get my boys some 'better' pedals but have them still on composite/plastic pedals with little molded plastic nipples, so they don't tear their legs to bits when they slip off the pedal.
We've never had a problems with them.... They've had a scratch here and there and that's about it. With proper technique stickier pedals should mean they slip less. Do it, you won't regret it,,,,, anyway, don't chicks dig scars... haha

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
We've never had a problems with them.... They've had a scratch here and there and that's about it. With proper technique stickier pedals should mean they slip less. Do it, you won't regret it,,,,, anyway, don't chicks dig scars... haha
I hear they do dig scars but my lil blokes have enough cuts and bruises on them all over them, don't want Child Services knocking my door.

Also have a set of Time Atac MX pedals for each of them and holding off on them too, I want them to learn to ride with flats and get their confidence up before letting them in clips, which could also go as far as a fear of flats munching their shins... dont know, will continue looking for some happy medium between the "grub screw" flats and their plastic platforms.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
The tyres came with the bikes. I think our bikes were the next model out after yours as the tyres on that was what came with our Fuji bikes previously. The bikes hardly get used so I haven't needed to source any tyres for them. I remembered last I looked you could get the new tyres from Spawn Cycles, but that was a long long time ago.

There's a big chance the brake levers were swapped out, can't remember. The downturn is to promote DH positioning,,, haha... na, just gets the kids into a better hand and riding position.

Both seat and seat post are just park pivotal seat and post, just different colours.

Got no idea about the quick release. Really depends on what you're after with the bike and what kind of riding you plan for the bub. If you want to customize and look into mtb and park there's not too many options but if you want to go CRAZY with weights and what not look down the BMX race side,,, you can absolutely go BANANAS$$$$$$$$ haha.
Cheers!!!

Hardly used? If you ever wanna sell the pink one

Hi guys,
Does anyone have any advice on half decent 24 inch tyres?
Not much in store here in Perth, and online options seem pretty limited.
The young fella (10) is coming along pretty well in his xc racing and keen on enduro next so keen to get him something half decent - the stock tyres on his xtc sl seem ok, but haven't lasted more than a few more months.
Thinking rocket rons at the moment, but keen to hear of any other options.
Cheers

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
https://flic.kr/p/Yn96wf

So Mr 7 has graduated to bigger wheels while Miss 5 has inherited his old Trek.

I reckon that Trek weighs about the same as my trail bike- it's a pig of a thing- he never really enjoyed riding it and preferred his scooter- now with having the Giant he won't stop riding. Happy days.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
https://flic.kr/p/Yn96wf

So Mr 7 has graduated to bigger wheels while Miss 5 has inherited his old Trek.

I reckon that Trek weighs about the same as my trail bike- it's a pig of a thing- he never really enjoyed riding it and preferred his scooter- now with having the Giant he won't stop riding. Happy days.
Jeebus wept! Never mind the trail bike, that thing looks as heavy as a 66 Cooper, with 4 drunk rugby players in it.....

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Jeebus wept! Never mind the trail bike, that thing looks as heavy as a 66 Cooper, with 4 drunk rugby players in it.....
Most of that bulk is plastic fairing (Trek have done something special there- like anti weight weenieism), so maybe 4 drunk half backs...

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
My young fella has Rocket Rons on his bike. Had one pinch flat in the rear. They have not seen a great deal of riding. He does hit some shit pretty hard though.