What do MTBers want?

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Ok... so this could either end up being a truly huge thread... or simply make me look like a dick, but here goes. The post about people's disappointment with Shimano's attitude got me thinking about real responsiveness to riders needs/desires...

So what do you guys want available to you in the way of cycling products?
What do you think is missing out there? And why?

Bottom line is we might be able to make it. Keep in mind that we're NOT trying to compete with the Asian "made-cheaply-by-the-million market" simply because we couldn't even if we wanted to. We want to stay exactly where we are in the market place producing high quality, low to medium production run products right here in Australia... and I suppose that until I came across Farkin the means of asking a really wide audience of riders what they want just wasn't available.

So go for it. Tell us what you want, wish for, or what you'd simply like someone to make better in the MTB game. Ask your mates, tell 'em about Farkin and get them to log on and have their own say.

Now if you think we're just touting for work because we're dumb-arses that can't come up with our own ideas then accept my appologies and simply ignore this thread.... if you think you've got such a good idea that you don't want anyone else to know about it you can get in touch via www.gripsport.com.au (hey if your idea is THAT good you may be our next partner... or boss!) but otherwise post here and lets all get some discussion happenning. Remember... there are a couple of other Aussie manufacturers out there too you know, and while this discussion probably wont get to or have any influence on the overseas companies you never know what might appear on the shelves just from this thread. And if we (GripSport) end up making any of your ideas at the very least you get one for yourself.

Hmmm... :roll:

Ty

Eats Squid
i want an reasonable weighted (and priced) 8-14 speed internaly geared hub that uses a rapidfire type shifter.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Something like an electro magnetic clip in system where, while the pedal is turning, your shoe is attracted to the pedal so you can effectively pedal, but while you are rolling, there is only the residue magnetic feild left so it is basically like a flat pedal.

Falling short of this. A clip-in pedal that has decent grip when you are not cliped in. Ie clip-in with platform and replaceable pins.

Ty

Eats Squid
turley, your second request is pretty much a old shimano 636 (cept the pin part)

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Similar, but still somehting the offers a similer grip to the average flat pedal. Wouldn't take much, just make it a bit bulkier and put the replaceable pins!

I guess what I am relay looking for is something that I can pedal effectively (so I can pull up aswell as push down) but still be easy to jump off like flats. THats why I talk about the magnetic pedals where you don't have to twist of anything, but there is enough attraction to put a pull stroke onto the cranks.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Geez, Ty and Turley, you don't want much then ey ?!?! ;)

I'd like to see 8 speed make a come back, and i'd like to see reasonable quality strong parts that don't break the bank and allow more people to ENJOY this great sport.

I'd also like a new wrist but thats right up there with Turleys "Super peddles" and Tys "Megarange rear hub" :D

Don't take it seriously guys, i'm just kidding.

Ty

Eats Squid
ok i'll re-adjust my wish list, make a cheaper rapidfire shifted rolhoff hub.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No ty.. *uses jedi mind trick* you want a dual thumb control shifted rolhoff hub.

Sorry if it was a bit off topic but for DH purpose, dual thumb is essential in my opinoin.

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
an affordable bike stand would be right up there for me... I mean really, how complicated are they? There is no reason they should be more than $100.....

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I personally would pay $100-$150. I think the problem wiht having htem aorund the 250-300 mark is that most people, me included, would much prefer to go out and spend 300 bucks either upgrading there bike or spend it on something else than a work stand. But if the price was dropped a little. Then I think you would find that alot more people would invest in one!

Bonnet

Likes Dirt
maybe, i dunno, but what about a deralieur that sits above the chainstay's instead of hanging below them, then there is less chance of smashing it off on a low lying stump, or a concrete ledge (urban). this is just a vague thought, i understand that it may be unreasonable to implement it.

what about dual disc, ie one on either side of the wheel, like on some high performance motor bikes. i don't know how much more stopping power it will give you (i'm guessing heaps) but i suppose you don't really need much more than is already available, before you sacrifice grip and just lock up the front wheel altogether, everyone know this is never a good thing.

thats all i can think of right now, i know they are both pretty outrageous, but someone's gotta say it.

oh yeh, nearly forgot, a rip proof/resistant saddel. i always seem to rip mine up, then the whole damn thing falls apart. btw i am a cheap ass, so instead of buying a good saddle, i just buy lots of cheap crappy ones.

Ryan

Radministrator
Dual discs has been done, years ago in two different guises and it didn't catch on. One was like a motorbike, with a disc on either side of the wheel, done because marzocchi were building forks with disc mounts on both legs.
The other was done by Shimano, using dual discs on the same side of the wheel and a top secret uber-caliper to clamp them. The system was so powerful, the few pros who were asked to run it resorted to boiling their disc pads in oil in an attempt to lessen the ungodly power of the setup, needless to say it never got into production.

DOM

Eats Squid
Bonnet , The very first Disc's were actually Dual Disc's .. I remember being at the Cairns Worlds and seeing them .. Ty or some Part geek will explain why they dont work .. but they actually were around.

Although .. if you need anymore stopping power then a new top of the line 8" Hayes or Hope then you need help with your riding not Braking. I rode Adam's 222 with New Hopes ... and holy jesus .. 1 finger front brake action ..

But yeah Dual Disc's like Moto's were around. I think it may have something to do with Heat or stress on the rim or weight .. un needed weight.

fastrider gus

super huck
hella yea on the internal hub! they are the ultimate for HT's! single-speed smoothness with more gears than a DH bike! BOOH YEA!!
it shouldnt be too expensive and must be reliable and look the bomb..
anodised gold is the best!

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Simo said:
yeh, a deralieur that sits above the chainstay. That would be great.
if you want to pedal backwards everytime you want to change gears, then yeah it would be supertastic!

Ty

Eats Squid
the whole deralieur idea is wack, it's fine for it's designed application (road bikes) but i don't see why we still have to deal with it on mountain bikes, internal gearing is the future, no chainline, no hangers, no broken mechs, no adjusting/bending, no soft pedaling when shifting, if i had the funds i'd be on a rolhof right now.