What do I need for XT brake change and Sram shifter compatability, advice please.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking to update my Formula C1 brakes standard on the Enduro Comp to XT. Currently the Sram X7(?) shifters have matchmaker? clamps on the brake perch. What will I need to run the shifters on the XTs or bars if I go ahead?

Sorry if this belongs in the stupid questions thread.

Later on I may try and fit the formula brakes to my kids bike, but I'll leave that for future stupid questions.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
There are adapters to fit sram shifters to I-spec brakes. Problem solvers, I think, makes them. They're called mismatch adapters. Chopsticks tried them out I think, but was having troubles getting things adjusted int to the purple zone.

Oh, and i think heroin is cheaper, they're pretty exxy. Quick Google says $46 FOR the pair, $30 odd for RHS only from Jenson.

Last edited:

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks, WTB some stand alone clamps if anyone has some they don't need or any tips on the best place to shop for some much appreciated.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Thanks, WTB some stand alone clamps if anyone has some they don't need or any tips on the best place to shop for some much appreciated.
Sorry, gave all mine away. I think they're about $5 on eBay from the USA + $700 postage.

Or $20 from Jenson again.

Unfortunatly they're pretty hard to find 2nd hand, as it seems a lot of shifters have shipped without them the last couple of years.

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
Chopsticks tried them out I think, but was having troubles getting things adjusted
yeppp! currently using Problem Solver Mismatch adaptors.

they have updated the mistmatch adaptors and are now beveled at an angle for more comfort.
to angle my old set, I had to resort to using a BB gun pellet and a nail.
BB gun pellet under the lever clamp (theres a perfect circle for it to sit in, without slipping) and the nail just below the shifter fixing bolt

you can see the head of the nail where the shifter meets the adaptor, and the reflection of the BB pellet where half of it sits inside the brake lever clamp

Last edited:

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Chops, I'll check them out, don't really want to add an extra set of clamps to an already congested handlebar.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm running xt brake and x0 shifter with separate clamps. I found it hard to get them to cradle in nicely for the way I set up my right hand controls. I'm intending to sell the xt brakes and get some more hopes.

ChopSticks

Banned
don't really want to add an extra set of clamps to an already congested handlebar.
exactly why I bought them ! (and more the reason if you have carbon bars)

I actually used the 'left' clamp on the right side, and vise versa.
but thats purely personal.

apart from PS mismatch adaptors, also look at Trickstuff, they make a version call Matshi ... much MUCH thinner in profile.
also recall coming across a mob that made one in carbon.

depending on your current position.... you could try and bolt the shifter directly off the levers and make do without adaptors completely !

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The mismatch adapters, even on the new I spec b have the same problem, need more angle and to be a bit closer/thinner profile. I'll give it a try but I'll probably end up attacking it with the dremel.