What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The pressure relief is a thing but I reckon the main benefit of the port in the durolux is that you can thread in a syringe and push some oil in to freshen the dust wipers.
Yeah that port is right up in the seals... probably just as well as the Durolux doesn't have an oil bath, just grease. Which makes me a bit sceptical...

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Went for a lovely ride with the boy today. Everything was going well and he said he'd spotted a ledge he can boost off at CusCus. He does it well but is immediately followed by loud hissing and sealant mist. Fuck.

Then I realised the shop didn't use Stans sealant so I couldn't use my Stans DART to plug it. Hopefully I can find someone that uses bacon strips so I can inflate it and get it settled in.

I also did an XC crash - seat post right up, aiming to boost up a rock outcrop on a climb. I stalled and forgot to drop the seat post which led to me being tilted off the bike backwards. The more the bike fell back, the more the ground got further away until I fell into some soft undergrowth.. Thanks fuck there weren't any stinging trees there!

400vm will do me though :)

Xnapper-2023-05-27-12.23.02.png

FlThtkDQ7riAjEbuKrothMC-jGxDOY8cqdgYsIetexU-1152x2048.jpg

Afnygw0ychD_rvyFmT2Kp9eX6RLccQ6ocHqD1GBPYbk-1152x2048.jpg

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Update: Nope (CftF)
Its just a plug that works with any sealant. I've tried a few different plug kits, Stans, Dynaplug etc... I prefer the bacon strips. Bigger holes, use 2 or 3.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I bought a couple of these, and rate them.
Cheap enough to give away when someone doesn’t have one on the trail. Or to keep one strapped to each bike with tubeless tyres.

Been meaning to try and pull some strands off a car sized bacon strip, just to see if I can make some slightly thicker ones for the bigger holes.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I also did an XC crash - seat post right up, aiming to boost up a rock outcrop on a climb. I stalled and forgot to drop the seat post which led to me being tilted off the bike backwards. The more the bike fell back, the more the ground got further away until I fell into some soft undergrowth.. Thanks fuck there weren't any stinging trees there!
I got caught out like that a few years ago, I managed to throw myself sideways off the trail so I didn't fall back-first onto the rocks. The problem with the side of the trail was that someone had cut a heap of brush and laid it over the cut stumps, I managed to miss the stumps but fell into the cut brush and was stuck there upside down with my backpack tangled in the branches.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I got caught out like that a few years ago, I managed to throw myself sideways off the trail so I didn't fall back-first onto the rocks. The problem with the side of the trail was that someone had cut a heap of brush and laid it over the cut stumps, I managed to miss the stumps but fell into the cut brush and was stuck there upside down with my backpack tangled in the branches.
Perhaps these new fangled wireless droppers should come with a gyroscope!

ozzybmx

Cheap enough to give away when someone doesn’t have one on the trail. Or to keep one strapped to each bike with tubeless tyres.

Been meaning to try and pull some strands off a car sized bacon strip, just to see if I can make some slightly thicker ones for the bigger holes.
The issue is the little needle can't take any fatter strips but you can put multiple of the lil bacons in.

Yeah cheap as chips... My boys even used to bacon strip their mates tyres without me giving a shit. Handing out my good Schwalbe tubes and CO2 was different ballgame ;)

ozzybmx

Another cracker placement of an SA Water BYOB fountain at Craigburn Farm MTB park.

They tap into a mains and provide water to top up your bottle or quench the thirst of your doggo.

You download the app and it shows you water points all over the city.

PXL_20230527_052801584~2.jpg

moorey

call me Mia

I cut car ones into pieces 1” long then in 1/2 diagonally so they are long thin wedges. Not for use on the trail but for home repairs on tyres with small cuts. Push the thin end through from the inside, and pull through until too fat to pull through any further. Ensured they don’t pop out under pressure like I’ve very occasionally see a bacon strip do.
Only use for spares generally then, but I’ve got ones I’ve refitted and forgotten about for ages that have never leaked (tubeless)

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Not a bad idea there @moorey !
Proper car tyre plugs are internal mushroom things that don’t pull through just like your diagonal strips. Will have to try it.

I’ve tended to hand sew (well, using hand & pliers) good quality tyres I wanted to keep using when they have a tear, then patch from the inside. If you don’t sew them, the patches eventually push through the hole and puncture again because they have no reinforcement plys in them.

moorey

call me Mia
Not a bad idea there @moorey !
Proper car tyre plugs are internal mushroom things that don’t pull through just like your diagonal strips. Will have to try it.

I’ve tended to hand sew (well, using hand & pliers) good quality tyres I wanted to keep using when they have a tear, then patch from the inside. If you don’t sew them, the patches eventually push through the hole and puncture again because they have no reinforcement plys in them.
Probably depends on the casing and the hole size. DD or equivalent casing with small holes mightn’t have that patch issue. Dunno, never tried it. I’ve never stitched and can’t say I ever will. If a cut is big enough to warrant that, it’s gonski.