What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Topped up the sealant in the Bronson, so so easy with nice wide rims. Decided to give retyring the Cannondale ZTRs a go. Couldn't get the Scorpions to seat last time, many many attempts. Let's try this again. Nothing to do with the current Ralphs showing the signs of cracking. Use the old tube trick. First retape just in case. Second tyre on, what a prick of a thing. What a tight fucker. Finally tyre on and tube in. Holds air. Anyway I will drop the air out in a day or three and see if the tyre stays seated. Maybe I will just leave the tubes in...

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Finally rode my pick n mix tuned Mezzer.

Low speed rebound pretty similar. No parking lot difference. But I don’t notice the packing on higher speed bumps that I used to. So hopefully that is sorted. Compression side is now different. Still deciding if I like the Dougal approach of lower pressure (spring rate) and higher compression damping.

Also needed a new pump. The old joe blow lasted a long time, so grabbed a new joe.
But this boi is thicc!

Aliexpress vice clamps also arrived (bottom left amongst the rest of the mess).

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Finally rode my pick n mix tuned Mezzer.

Low speed rebound pretty similar. No parking lot difference. But I don’t notice the packing on higher speed bumps that I used to. So hopefully that is sorted. Compression side is now different. Still deciding if I like the Dougal approach of lower pressure (spring rate) and higher compression damping.

Also needed a new pump. The old joe blow lasted a long time, so grabbed a new joe.
But this boi is thicc!

Aliexpress vice clamps also arrived (bottom left amongst the rest of the mess).
What travel and pressures are you running?

dirtdad

What travel and pressures are you running?
Still playing around. But at 150mm last weekend I ran Main 57 IRT 100 (I’m 85kg). This seemed ok, definitely need lsc run mostly closed or it feels a bit too soft at sag. Used most/all travel over the ride based on oring.

Used to run more like 65/90, but was higher spring rate to try and comp for poor hsr recovery.

Open to suggestions.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Still playing around. But at 150mm last weekend I ran Main 57 IRT 100 (I’m 85kg). This seemed ok, definitely need lsc run mostly closed or it feels a bit too soft at sag. Used most/all travel over the ride based on oring.

Used to run more like 65/90, but was higher spring rate to try and comp for poor hsr recovery.

Open to suggestions.
I’d go back to 65 main and try 85 IRT to start with and LSC closed. Where is your rebound now?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

Open to suggestions.
I'm with Douglas on this one. I like to run 30% sag with lots of spacers or irt and the least amount of pressure I can get away with. Then crank LSC and add HSC if necessary. LSR I tend to run as fast as I can without bucking.

The theory here is lots of responsiveness in early stroke that is controlled by LSC damping. Mid stroke support is provided by the air spring beginning to ramp, small air volume provides really strong ramp, but not a solid wall, at end of travel and lots of force to get the fork rebounding quickly ready for next hit.

Check out the Vorsprung YouTube videos for 4-5 years ago for how to bracket and LSC Vs HSC. There was a Downtime podcast with Nick Lester where he talked about going for >30% sag for front and back.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

dirtdad

Where is your rebound now?
Running mostly open. Maybe 2-3 clicks in.

interestingly, I asked Dougal about the rebound shim stacks. The “sticky” rebound actually has fewer shims, and the “poppy” one has more. Intuitively I thought moar shims on piston = slower rebound. But he noted that the overall rebound damping remains quite similar, it’s the shape of the damping curve that changes (combo of shims and changes in lsr knob settings).

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
@fjohn860 can I get a job at your work? I mean I'm really enjoying my new job at the moment but there is zero scope to do bike related shit while I'm there.
My boss just shook his head when he came out to the shop before leaving.

I told him the storeman said he was going to cut up and throw out the wood and ply so basically I was freeing up the storeman's time for more important jobs Monday ;)

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quick urban spin around the Maribyrnong and Docklands. Head win was horrendous in places.

Frankenstein drivetrain on the Paradox isn't shifting that great, probably time to finish swapping bits over!

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Ran after my son as he rode down Old Skool and then Cackler/Excavation/Drift at Black Hill. He walked some of it, but gave a few features a go that normally rattle him.
He was really happy with his efforts and this Mum was rather proud.
The youngest tore around the skills track and pump track in a onesie and a full face helmet.
IMG_20230415_122959_662.jpg

IMG_20230415_123006_730.jpg