What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
You're too kind Dr Beeb. It's hard enough riding somewhere you've never been, let alone trying to tune a new bike as well.

I agree it's a good little park. A little bit of something for everyone. Like you said, a couple of signs here and there and a bit of weeding and it would be a great place. I probably could've dropped the front tyre a couple of pounds to plant the front and then let it rip.
Despite the fact I was a bit quiet (too busy trying to suck in oxygen!), I had a really good time. Given it's been months since I've ridden up or down a hill my efforts were slightly less pathetic than I expected (that's right @Cardy George - it could've been worse... :p) - I was glad I was able to eventually make the second lap all the way to the top and am looking forward to working out where that trail we caught the bottom half of on the second run starts, seems like there's more fun to be had out there for sure. Was starting to get some feel for the bike towards the end, but I still ordered a heavier spring for the shock tonight to hopefully keep the cranks and chainring from brushing along the ground anytime the trails points uphill! :)

It's pretty easy to find coming from my place. It's the first hill after Shepparton :p
Ha, quite literally!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Another ride on the new old toy today, getting a bit more used to the longer fork, so getting more confident with stuff that has been getting a bit hairy with the little 100mm.

It's still only 120mm, but the extra height takes a little bit of weight off the front wheel, so it's less ploughy and makes the bike less prone to tripping over its toes like a toddler trying to run.

I'm not mathemagically clever enough to work out the change in HA, but it will be close to eff-all, so the classic old-school Anthem agility hasn't suffered to any noticeable extent.
It will be just what Giant themselves did to the Anthem later in life - I had an Anthem with the factory beefy treatment of a slightly longer fork and burlier wheels. Was a wonderful thing.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Took a few mates over to Silvan for a choice ride.
Conditions there are excellent right now and superb fun. It was the first time there for one and couple of years for the others.

Lyre Lyre was probably the trail of the day for us all. Lots of decent features to hit and get used to.

Managed to tick off a double on there I've eyed up for a while which ended up being smooth like butter..

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Second ride, still messing with suspension settings and will be for a while yet.

Colour is Storm Blue which is a grey-blue, suits the sky in SA today, big storm last night and 30,000 houses without power including mine until about 2pm.

Would like to say, who needs power anyway ! Just go ride your bike ;)

20230320_152029.jpg

20230320_152039.jpg

ozzybmx

Initial thoughts?
Great, different !

Still only used 45mm of the 60mm shock, so used just over 115mm of 155mm and got 30mm left on the 170mm fork after a techy downhill decent of a trail called Ewoks.

I bought the ebike to ride loops of the Melrose epic trails with everyone else on eebs. I still intend to do the Simpson Desert in 2024 so need to get fit(ter) again and a few more races in 2023-24 planned.

I dont care what anyone says, plodding a 23kg ebike along in Eco mode that would give you a workout feels like crap, its just pedalling a dead weigh. I did a 32km ride today, 750m of climbing and the whole ride in eMTB mode, I hardly broke a sweat and drank about 100ml of a 700ml bottle.

Good fun but zero workout worth talking about.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Second ride, still messing with suspension settings and will be for a while yet.

Colour is Storm Blue which is a grey-blue, suits the sky in SA today, big storm last night and 30,000 houses without power including mine until about 2pm.

View attachment 398052

View attachment 398053
Very curious as to how this rides and if it hits the aspirations you had in mind?

Well done on making the different/ bold choice!

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I dont care what anyone says, plodding a 23kg ebike along in Eco mode that would give you a workout feels like crap, its just pedalling a dead weigh. I did a 32km ride today, 750m of climbing and the whole ride in eMTB mode, I hardly broke a sweat and drank about 100ml of a 700ml bottle.
Interesting. Most ebike riders I know claim a like you described is as hard as any ride on a bicycle. I don't know; never riden an ebike.

jackthelad23

Likes Bikes
My Bike, recently fitted Hope Duolever , Tech3/E4 calipers , and been for basic shakedown rides.
Freinds bike, sorted out rear wheel for an old standards bike. 135mm hub frame, Setup Tubeless.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Interesting. Most ebike riders I know claim a like you described is as hard as any ride on a bicycle. I don't know; never riden an ebike.
I completely agree with Ozzy. Whilst you can get a workout on an ebike it doesn’t compare to a normal bike unless you do a huge ride with minimal assistance. I can belt out a 1000m elevation ride in an hour or so and not even use my water bottle. If you are extremely unfit then I’m sure an ebike would help but it’s all relative to current fitness level.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur

View attachment 398052

View attachment 398053
Looks like you're on PWT where those photos were taken? Man I used to love using that as a route to / from Eagle riding from home back in the day.

ozzybmx

Nice! Fark Bullock was always a good time as well.

Snakes seem to like PWT too (and Cleland), saw so many around there it almost ceased being an issue.
I've been riding around with my eyes closed this year.
Usually I seen snakes quite often, maybe 1 a ride... sometimes multiple each ride.

Total for summer 22-23 is about 5 :oops:

ozzybmx

Nice! Fark Bullock was always a good time as well.

Snakes seem to like PWT too (and Cleland), saw so many around there it almost ceased being an issue.
Couple of nice illegal trails built off the side of Bullocks. Venison is a great loop and then some downhill tracks, Twisted gum, Brown Sally and Purgatory.