What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Mattyp

Cows go boing
But you'll go back to NZ...to feel why it's like with a functional shock yeah?
The Propain story sounds as fun as a kick in the balls. Are you going to ride it out? Or get a refund?
Fortunately I sorted a shock while I was over there so only really missed a day of riding. At this stage I'm going to keep riding the wave of BS and see where it takes me.

ausdb

Being who he is
The saga of a fork for my daughters roxter 24. I had a set of 2008 rebas that leak like sieves that I could shorten to 85mm but still a bit too tall and buggered up the standover. Was also looking for rigid replacements, found the original on a UK site $160 landed. 'Reached out' to the local Scott dealer, nothing in Australia and Scott couldn't give a price. At the same time found a 'Toseek' rigid 26er with axle to crown of 420mm on Aliexpress in straight or tapered for about $100-110 shipped. Axle to crown on the original is 410mm so close enough. Was also also looking on scumtree and found someone selling a tapered version of the same for $50 locally. I had a spare EC44 1.5" headset and couldn't be arsed waiting for a straight version to ship so grabbed it. Axle to crown is a little high with the external headset but hey it will just make it longer and slacker!
One small problem I now need a compression plug. Long term project as my daughter grows is to fix the rebas, could then go mullet and really be on point, or wait till @dazz starts to sell his custom glue on dropout kits and hack up the rebas.

_20230317_113801-picsay.jpg

Last edited:

ausdb

Being who he is
Fitted the forks this afternoon, used the patented bodgomatic 3000 headset press to install the headset. It's a ZTTO and seems to be pretty well made, I don't think a kid is going to over stress it.
DSC_2820-picsay.jpg
Flipped the bars and stem, to make up for the łonger axle to crown. Fitted one new spank grom grip. Couldn't find the box with the 8sp wide range acolyte drive train so had to put the twist shift back on the other side. Redid the brake cables (used some leftover bits of mars one) and straightened a rotor. The cable discs seem to stop ok so will leave them for the time being.
DSC_2821-picsay.jpg
Ran the pedal taps through the cranks and changed pedals and it's ready for the pink princess to ride. It looks like someone put a rigid 29er in the wash and shrunk it!
Another LTIH why the fsck does every kids bike have half rooted pedal threads? Next on the list is to find a cheap external 27.2 dropper and try to machine it down to 26.8.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I think I’m too old to be drinking like I’m 20… Got quite tipsy indeed Friday night, and spent most of yesterday feeling fairly sorry for myself.

Woke this morning feeling fine and took the orange to Meehan. And nearly died on the climbs.. Could climb for about 5 minutes before my heart rate went through the roof and chest felt tight. Not ideal. Hangixiety I guess, perhaps combined with a generally messed up system. Hmmm.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
went Mountain Bike Orienteering before the heat set in...was the first to head off and completely went the wrong direction, zigged when I should have zagged (should have looked at the sun for directions)...anyhoo, ended up getting lost, smashing my derailleur to pieces and finding no control points..walk of shame back to the start, but had fun doing it.
season over now until October when it starts back up for summer, Yay!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I think I’m too old to be drinking like I’m 20… Got quite tipsy indeed Friday night, and spent most of yesterday feeling fairly sorry for myself.

Woke this morning feeling fine and took the orange to Meehan. And nearly died on the climbs.. Could climb for about 5 minutes before my heart rate went through the roof and chest felt tight. Not ideal. Hangixiety I guess, perhaps combined with a generally messed up system. Hmmm.
Alcohol dehydration rears it head when you are at the top of a climb and gets its revenge.

I remember when we started MTBing in the early 90s and would frequently go out stupid late and get on it then attempt a ride the next morning. Some very rusty rides were done and you just must have a full hydrapak.

In hindsight, it wasn't the best idea, but oh well.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
went Mountain Bike Orienteering before the heat set in...was the first to head off and completely went the wrong direction, zigged when I should have zagged (should have looked at the sun for directions)...anyhoo, ended up getting lost, smashing my derailleur to pieces and finding no control points..walk of shame back to the start, but had fun doing it.
season over now until October when it starts back up for summer, Yay!
Yahhh, sorry to hear. Hats off for even giving it a go in the heat wearing have lately.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Met another flatlander and I went for my first mountain bike ride since mid last year. @Cardy George is another one of those rigid seatpost menaces that's better than me up, down and across the hill (to be fair that's most riders!) - but it was cool to get out (and meet another burner IRL...). We got completely lost several times on the Mt Major trails, but there's some potential there once I can find my way around and get some fitness back.
47939FF7-B423-48FD-98A0-9F50CEF1C1AD.jpeg

C04BEEDC-4112-4DA4-8AE6-9FFC9C6CECE2.jpeg

Last edited:

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Met another flatlander and I went for my first mountain bike ride since mid last year. @Cardy George is another one of those rigid seatpost menaces that's better than me up, down and across the hill (to be fair that's most riders!) - but it was cool to get out (and meet another burner IRL...). We got completely lost several times on the Mt Major trails, but there's some potential there once I can find my way around and get some fitness back in future.
View attachment 398035

View attachment 398036
How'd you find the judge on the front?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Alcohol dehydration rears it head when you are at the top of a climb and gets its revenge.

I remember when we started MTBing in the early 90s and would frequently go out stupid late and get on it then attempt a ride the next morning. Some very rusty rides were done and you just must have a full hydrapak.

Feels like more than that. Wasn’t feeling even slightly dehydrated, had a full camelbak I was making full use of. Just felt like my adrenal system was in over drive and not in a good way. Dunno. Getting old, much lower tolerances for known depressants that are known to have effects on anxiety and heart function in general. TLDR, I’m not 20 anymore!!

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur

Party drugs the night before are much better than booze for getting a ride in the next day. The residuals in your system make those climbs surprisingly easy / fun.

Allegedly.

Anyway, had a great time out today at Red Hill riding, annoying strangers and talking shit, including riding with @teK-- for a bit - great to meet you mate!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
How'd you find the judge on the front?
Quite good initial impression, but too early to fully judge (pun intended ;)). This was the first ride on the new bike, and suspension setup was all up the shit, I still was bedding brakes in and chasing the barrel adjuster for the initial slackening off of the new shifter cable - all while trying to readjust to having suspension again (and lots of it!) and riding up and down hill! :p

First impression confirmed the Tough casing is more stable than an EXO Maxxis (good thing) - but not overly stiff/dead like some dual-layer casings. The compound felt softer than MaxxTerra (sometimes good, sometimes bad depending on the situation...). I reckon a DHR II has a slight advantage on absolute edge grip on max lean, but the Judge would probably take the lead in wetter conditions.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Another ride on the new old toy today, getting a bit more used to the longer fork, so getting more confident with stuff that has been getting a bit hairy with the little 100mm.

It's still only 120mm, but the extra height takes a little bit of weight off the front wheel, so it's less ploughy and makes the bike less prone to tripping over its toes like a toddler trying to run.

I'm not mathemagically clever enough to work out the change in HA, but it will be close to eff-all, so the classic old-school Anthem agility hasn't suffered to any noticeable extent.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Shaved a bit off the dropout of Mrs commuter ebike so the chain tensioner pulled in line with the angled slot, had it horizontal before and it kept coming loose. Only a few mm off so hopefully doesn't weaken it.

20230319_192714.jpg

Lubed and cleaned both chains on the commuters and tested Mrs with a beer run.

Rode Jerrabomberra today, with fitter blokes and damn those are some steep climbs! I need to stop pretending I'm 20 as it was hell pushing 34/42. Cheaper and easier to drop a 32 on so reckon I might do that for some relief. All the others were running dinner plates, I had to stand up too often to make some of the chunky bits and it really nailed me.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Met another flatlander and I went for my first mountain bike ride since mid last year. @Cardy George is another one of those rigid seatpost menaces that's better than me up, down and across the hill (to be fair that's most riders!) - but it was cool to get out (and meet another burner IRL...). We got completely lost several times on the Mt Major trails, but there's some potential there once I can find my way around and get some fitness back.
View attachment 398035

View attachment 398040
That's some vast wilderness out there.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
View attachment 398035

View attachment 398040
You're too kind Dr Beeb. It's hard enough riding somewhere you've never been, let alone trying to tune a new bike as well.

I agree it's a good little park. A little bit of something for everyone. Like you said, a couple of signs here and there and a bit of weeding and it would be a great place. I probably could've dropped the front tyre a couple of pounds to plant the front and then let it rip.

It's pretty easy to find coming from my place. It's the first hill after Shepparton :p