What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
My saddles are pretty good, got the one on the right, its a Specialized Power. Derived from my normal saddle which is a Spech Romin.

To be honest, I dont think any of them are going to help at the moment with a catheter tube run up through a place that nothing should ever be poked, then into my bladder :rolleyes: The tube can be felt for the length of my gooch... even sitting on a soft flat chair is uncomfortable.

The friction of the latex tube dry rubbing in there is sensational...

6 days to go and I'm free :)

View attachment 397398
Had something similar done when having a urinary tract issue looked at - except mine wasnt a thin tube but a camera. I have seen the inside of my own bladder in real time on a tv screen....

The camera going in was less fun than you might imagine.

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Anyway... Enough of this shoving things up your pee pee hole discussion.

I rode my bike. Had a decent hit out at the Youies chasing a mate up the climbs while he was on his ebike.

IMG_20230301_114853_copy_1926x1444.jpg

Also had to finish the ride with a fire road climb instead of a nice downhill to the car park. A few of the roads were closed around the Youies and couldn't get to the Drysdale road car park.

takai

Eats Squid
Not quite an MTB, but i scavenged parts from various MTB upgrades to finish it off:

Goes like stink when wound up to 11 as well (but only for very short distances).

Gotta find the Maxxis Hookworms in the garage to replace the Kendas, but the M785s have plenty of stopping power for it.

Now i can finally get back to fixing up the Spitfire and the Trig.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Not quite an MTB, but i scavenged parts from various MTB upgrades to finish it off:

Goes like stink when wound up to 11 as well (but only for very short distances).

Gotta find the Maxxis Hookworms in the garage to replace the Kendas, but the M785s have plenty of stopping power for it.

Now i can finally get back to fixing up the Spitfire and the Trig.
Duuuude, that is awesome! Did you retro fit the mid drive?

I'm waiting on a frame mounted front rack for my longtail, I think the fork mounted rack loaded with cargo caused my recent stack, it makes it twitchy AF.

I've got to get around to changing the brakes on mine from Tektro 2 pot basics to something like shigura 4 pot front and shimano 2 pot back.

The scooter wheel on the end of the chain stay...is that for popping wheelies? ;)

takai

Eats Squid
Duuuude, that is awesome! Did you retro fit the mid drive?

I'm waiting on a frame mounted front rack for my longtail, I think the fork mounted rack loaded with cargo caused my recent stack, it makes it twitchy AF.

I've got to get around to changing the brakes on mine from Tektro 2 pot basics to something like shigura 4 pot front and shimano 2 pot back.

The scooter wheel on the end of the chain stay...is that for popping wheelies? ;)
Yeah, its a Bafang BBS02b kit, with the 48v batterypack from our old family cruiser (Marin Larkspur). The frame mounted rack on the front is pretty weird TBH, makes it feel a LOT longer than it actually is, and gimps me out on steering because it doesnt track with the wheel. Great for cargo capacity though.

how fast do you need to accelerate to get it up on the wheelie bars @takai
View attachment 397451
Haha, not quite. Need to get the bikes down the side of the house when the driveway is full of camper trailer, ute, and family wagon. Because of the AC and heaters down the side of the house its a bit narrow to manoeuvre beside the bike, hence wheelie bars:

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Anyway... Enough of this shoving things up your pee pee hole discussion.

I rode my bike. Had a decent hit out at the Youies chasing a mate up the climbs while he was on his ebike.

View attachment 397450

Also had to finish the ride with a fire road climb instead of a nice downhill to the car park. A few of the roads were closed around the Youies and couldn't get to the Drysdale road car park.
That road closure is probably annoying a lot of people (locals and riders) during the day. Although if you come through Little River you come out on Farrars Rd just above the roadworks.

I rode last night after work, so through Little River to Drysdale car park, then by the time I'm finished the roadworks are done for the day and Farrars Rd is open.

Labcanary

Picked up a cheap little 20" Merida Matt's yesterday for the eldest. He never quite gelled with the Fluid (Anaconda brand) our neighbour gave him.
So I chucked on some Aliexpress Rapido shorty cranks and Pasak air forks, along with a disc front wheel I built up for the last bike.
Thankfully he loves this one.

Original spec:
IMG_20230304_182007_538.jpg

Mum is a bike snob spec:
IMG_20230304_182014_188.jpg

The Fluid will go to the bike library at his school.

ausdb

Being who he is
Picked up a cheap little 20" Merida Matt's yesterday for the eldest. He never quite gelled with the Fluid (Anaconda brand) our neighbour gave him.
So I chucked on some Aliexpress Rapido shorty cranks and Pasak air forks, along with a disc front wheel I built up for the last bike.
Thankfully he loves this one.
Does the Pasik actually have bushings in it and are they any good?
I had delusional thoughts of getting a Manitou Junit 24 for Miss7's Roxter but thankfully the Commencal AU has sold out and shipping from NZ is as much as the fork! https://www.commencal-store.co.nz/-manitou-junit-145mm-24-fork-c2x30713980
Delusional being spending $550 on a fork for a $125 bike :rolleyes: which is more than I spend on second hand ones for myself.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I had delusional thoughts of getting a Manitou Junit 24 for Miss7's Roxter but thankfully the Commencal AU has sold out and shipping from NZ is as much as the fork! https://www.commencal-store.co.nz/-manitou-junit-145mm-24-fork-c2x30713980
Delusional being spending $550 on a fork for a $125 bike :rolleyes: which is more than I spend on second hand ones for myself.
I ran an RST fork with the lower cast one piece bushes about 12 years ago and it lasted a long time, I packed the lowers with wheel bearing grease, and mixed in some engine oil.

Labcanary

If I get a chance today I'll drop the Pasak lowers and take some photos.

Proper forks for kids are crazy expensive. And there aren't enough of them in the wild to be sold off second hand.
I wanted to replace the shit "suspension" forks with rigid, but good 20" rigid forks were going to cost as much as these air forks.

I ran an RST fork with the lower cast one piece bushes about 12 years ago and it lasted a long time, I packed the lowers with wheel bearing grease, and mixed in some engine oil.
Cool mate, I'll keep this in mind if it's needed!

Mattyp

Cows go boing
PSX_20230305_164948.jpg

Rode the wet Wairoa Gorge in Nelson today.

This place is sick, longgggg descents, all handcut in native Beech forest as well as a few pockets through pines. Trails vary from Grade 4 to Grade 6+. It's definitely not a spot to bring a beginner. As it was my first time I got put in a group with a couple from America for the first run, who quickly realised were a bit out of their league even on the easiest trails.
I think it's almost 1000vm (25min descents) per run from the top to bottom and after 3 runs I was pretty toast, the wet conditions definitely didn't help...
Add it to any riding trip, I wish I had more time in Nelson to check out some other riding as the hills around here are endless, will have to do a week here next time.
There's a bit of a story to this riding spot, originally built over 3 years and costing about $20million by Ken Dart a rich American billionaire, as one of his many private MTB parks around the world (I think he has 6 others).
He then donated it to the local club after getting sick and never getting on a bike again.
Props to him for donating it so others could enjoy and not just get forgotten about and overgrown.

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Went hunting for a track to ride it on. No surprises really. It's mostly dried out but all the man-made stuff is trashed. There's still a creek spilting the park in two and going by the colour we'll need to just wait until it's dried up. Just need to clean up a couple of fallen trees and then we can at least get cars in to the trailhead. There's still plenty of high ground to race on now we can get to it. Lots of work to do.

20230305_152946-01.jpeg

20230305_153334-01.jpeg

20230305_153517-01.jpeg
20230305_153758-01.jpeg

20230305_155802-01.jpeg