What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Giant will pedal a little better than the FM1001 uphill. But the FM1001 does add that bit of extra travel on the descents. If you were after a like-for-like replacement of your Giant the FM936 would be a better match - but I'd probably put the money towards a lighter/stronger wheelset (assuming stock Giant wheels) as you'll feel that more on the trails than frame weight (IMO).
Thanks. I am currently running carbon wheels. I will be going to lighter tires as well. The weight difference between the carbon and alloy is less than 500 grams. I have been thinking about @SummitFever 's shock suggestion. I spoke to Cyclinic a while back and they told me they couldn't get one. Might just have to advertise. I am neither a Fox or RS fanboi. I have had good experiences with both. But the piggy back difference is noticeable on the bikes I have ridden with them.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Rode it, an urban gravel ride.

Fitted a XX1 10-42 cassette and the bike started making a strange creak, it was the XD driver/cassette interface, greased it... silence.

Only pic I took, Little Creatures XPA 10km from home, 3 later, headed home.

20230104_170222.jpg

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Ooo. Part of the trial program to see how long they last?
Yep. I was getting a stem posted out and decided that I might as well get one of these in the bag at the same time. Don't need it yet but I'll fit it and keep the alloy one as a spare.

It's such a wank upgrade and I can't tell whether mine's made any improvement but I still applaud your choices.
I'm not sure I'll feel any change whatsoever but it should improve longevity of the part. I've only put around 300km on my bike so there is no real wear on the idler yet. Seems like people are only getting 1000-2000 km's before needing a replacement though so this stainless steel number with an extra couple of teeth (16t instead of 14t) should bump that up considerably. Will see how it goes...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
...so this stainless steel number with an extra couple of teeth (16t instead of 14t) should bump that up considerably. Will see how it goes...
Interested to hear if there's any change in pedalling feel. I would guess (in theory) the bigger idler would reduce anti-squat, but probably not readily perceptible in reality...

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Thanks. I am currently running carbon wheels. I will be going to lighter tires as well. The weight difference between the carbon and alloy is less than 500 grams. I have been thinking about @SummitFever 's shock suggestion. I spoke to Cyclinic a while back and they told me they couldn't get one. Might just have to advertise. I am neither a Fox or RS fanboi. I have had good experiences with both. But the piggy back difference is noticeable on the bikes I have ridden with them.
I wouldn't mind trying a Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate but they are hard to come by in the right size. Pushys actually have one in stock at the moment: https://www.pushys.com.au/rockshox-super-deluxe-ultimate-rc2t-165x45-trunnion-rear-shock-2023.html

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Interested to hear if there's any change in pedalling feel. I would guess (in theory) the bigger idler would reduce anti-squat, but probably not readily perceptible in reality...
Yes, Kavenz posted something about it on insta. I think a small drop in anti-squat but they are suggesting it won't be felt. Apparently a very small increase in pedalling efficiency due to larger idler too but don't think that will be felt either and maybe they cancel each other out???

Main goal is increased life of the part so as long as there is no major impact to feel/performance of the bike, it's a win.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went out with a mate today for about a 2.5 hour ride. Through Lenah Valley to Pottery road to the Slides. Down the Slides, up Jurassic Shark onto Tip Top to Hobos. Then around and down on Hobos. We got to a fork in the trail and I couldn't remember if left or right was the steep slippery, no grip, you should be walking route or the exciting but safer blue trail I was looking for. My mate had never been on either.
No prizes for guessing correctly that this post should actually be in the "Confessions" thread. Made our way down scoring no points for style unless you can have negative points. Came out of the trees after crossing the creek near Old Farm Road into the heavy drizzle. So up the road to Fish Fingers, Golden Gully road, back down Jurassic Shark, up the Slides over to Two Post Track and home. A little over 2 hours, about 20 kms and just under 800 meters of climbing.
Honestly, one of the best days on a bike in the last 2 months.
20230105_114227 (FILEminimizer).jpg

No franchises available here.

geekman

Squid
Couple of big days shuttling at Bright, about 50km of downs all up. Got cooked on my last run and OTB on down dj on that awkward rock launch drop about half way down. Dunno how I managed it, just tired I guess. Kinda funny how I had clean top to bottom runs down elevation and World Cup before it and wiped out on a blue but that’s the way it goes sometimes!

Fox Proframe is a write-off and will become a shed ornament to remind me to always wear a full face :D 100% chest protector took the rest of the impact but that held up well

Attachments