What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I like that little chain saw. How ummmm shall we say discrete is it? And how many times could you cut through that tree on one charge?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
These ones here are the boss mate, fit them in your backpack. ;)

View attachment 395884View attachment 395885
Parents have a 18V Ryobi similar to this (It's one of the ones on an extended pole). I was absolutely staggered what it could get through. Felled (in multiple pieces) a very old bottlebrush tree taller than their two story house with it. Pretty much anything the length of the blade it would get though, even when cutting on really awkward angles with a bit of load on the blade.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I like that little chain saw. How ummmm shall we say discrete is it? And how many times could you cut through that tree on one charge?
Discrete?... the motor noise is negligible, very quiet, but obviously some noise from the chain/bar doing its thing. But no-one is going to notice. We've had a quite few trees down recently, and a few walkers have come across me in action, and all of them were super appreciative, no angst at all.

Regarding battery charge, I did three trees of similar size to the one in the pic, and afterwards I had one of three bars still left in the battery. I had a spare charged one, but didn't need it. Admittedly, two of the trees were fairly rotten.

How you fit that into your backpack has me beat but well done sir.
MrC, it does fit in a backpack that I use for fishing when I take the SS50. It's pretty tight, but OK for a couple of Ks in/out... though you wouldn't want it on for a long haul.

Since getting this saw, I've only fired one of my petrol saws once to grub a stump... with f`cked bar/chain for the task. Admittedly I'm not living in the hills anymore and not feeding fireplaces, but it's surprising what a battery and 12" bar will do.

Chainsaw backpack.jpg

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is summer yeah? Early morning at Wombat; rain, mist and bloody freezing. OK ride but the roots were slippery as shit. Also the track has a lot of plant life growing over it so continually copped a nice cold wash from the ferns.
Managed to smash my foot into a log camouflaged within said overgrown foliage which was awesome

Flow-Rider

Burner
Parents have a 18V Ryobi similar to this (It's one of the ones on an extended pole). I was absolutely staggered what it could get through. Felled (in multiple pieces) a very old bottlebrush tree taller than their two story house with it. Pretty much anything the length of the blade it would get though, even when cutting on really awkward angles with a bit of load on the blade.
They get a bit hot if you use them in the middle of the day for cutting large trees in Qld, but they're way safer than swinging a full weighted chainsaw while you're up a tree. You can buy the cheap ones on ebay and change the brush motors to a slower one 19000rpm, and they cut almost all day without over heating, You just got to keep the chain sharpened and lubed.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Last year, before we sold the family home, I had to make a tree go away that was on our place but had the bulk of the tree over our wonderful neighbour’s place. They are not handy, and although it was ok at that stage, it was not going to magically get better, with entropy at work.

Normally I would have put a smaller 14” bar/chain on my trusty little Shindaiwa and used my trick slope adjustable ladder to do the business. This time, I had the Dewalt battery chainsaw, and it was so so so much safer. No idling chainsaw at altitude, no starting the fricken thing at height while hanging off a ladder… just press the safety, pull the trigger and cut. Brilliant. I only used a petrol saw to grub the stump.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Only second ride on my dually since we returned from North America at the end of October. I have been riding the hard tail as I put this bike, rather feebly, up for sale. But though I like riding my hard tail it has been a long time since I was, if ever, a "hard core, hard tail" kind of guy. The last 2 months have reminded me why anything more than smoooth flow or gravel requires a dual suspension bike. I put this bike back to stock but we are going to St Helens at the end of January so I may modify it back to where I had it.
Over the last 6 months I have gathered up so much stuff by way of parts, including 2 frames, that it is all playing on my mind. So a big clean out sale is coming soon. I spend way too much time when I am not riding thinking about how I can improve my bike or build a better one. That's why I end up with so much junk.
The amount of time I spend thinking about it when riding? Slightly more than zero.
Anyway, enough babbling.
Rode up the North South track from Glenorchy to the junction with the Kangaroo Fire Trail and back down. Really enjoyed it despite my foot slipping of a pedal when landing and shredding my shin.
Much better to be on a bike than machinating about them.
20230103_144907 (FILEminimizer).jpg

beeb

Only second ride on my dually since we returned from North America at the end of October. I have been riding the hard tail as I put this bike, rather feebly, up for sale. But though I like riding my hard tail it has been a long time since I was, if ever, a "hard core, hard tail" kind of guy. The last 2 months have reminded me why anything more than smoooth flow or gravel requires a dual suspension bike. I put this bike back to stock but we are going to St Helens at the end of January so I may modify it back to where I had it.
Over the last 6 months I have gathered up so much stuff by way of parts, including 2 frames, that it is all playing on my mind. So a big clean out sale is coming soon. I spend way too much time when I am not riding thinking about how I can improve my bike or build a better one. That's why I end up with so much junk.
The amount of time I spend thinking about it when riding? Slightly more than zero.
Anyway, enough babbling.
Rode up the North South track from Glenorchy to the junction with the Kangaroo Fire Trail and back down. Really enjoyed it despite my foot slipping of a pedal when landing and shredding my shin.
Much better to be on a bike than machinating about them.View attachment 395904
If you can afford to, I'd suggest keeping the dually in the stable. It's a really nice luxury to be able to swap between bikes if one isn't quite generating the right draw/vibe pre-ride. IMO - Hardtail as the only bike can be great - for quite a while, until it's not - and you really just want a bit of a rest for your body while still being able to go for a ride. Those Trance 29ers are a great all-round trail bike in my (albeit limited) experience.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey @beeb I will be keeping a dually and a hard tail. HT great for riding with Yvonne on Fire roads around here, even at Derby! But not having been on the Trance for nearly 6 months I kind of forgot about it. Rode some 27.5 bikes while away but it's like buying a house while on holidays. Never a good idea. Loved the bikes; totally different terrain and conditions than 90% of my riding. But that didn't stop me from a bit of impulse buying.
The only change I would make now is to perhaps swap my alloy frame for a carbon one. New from Giant $4.495; Carbonda FM1001, nearly identical to Giant Trance 29 ~$1500. After the clear out that might be an option.

BTW, the litte hand held battery chain saws - a police constable in rural Victoria told me they are a favorite of burglars and meth heads.

beeb

Hey @beeb I will be keeping a dually and a hard tail. HT great for riding with Yvonne on Fire roads around here, even at Derby! But not having been on the Trance for nearly 6 months I kind of forgot about it. Rode some 27.5 bikes while away but it's like buying a house while on holidays. Never a good idea. Loved the bikes; totally different terrain and conditions than 90% of my riding. But that didn't stop me from a bit of impulse buying.
The only change I would make now is to perhaps swap my alloy frame for a carbon one. New from Giant $4.495; Carbonda FM1001, nearly identical to Giant Trance 29 ~$1500. After the clear out that might be an option.

BTW, the litte hand held battery chain saws - a police constable in rural Victoria told me they are a favorite of burglars and meth heads.
The Giant will pedal a little better than the FM1001 uphill. But the FM1001 does add that bit of extra travel on the descents. If you were after a like-for-like replacement of your Giant the FM936 would be a better match - but I'd probably put the money towards a lighter/stronger wheelset (assuming stock Giant wheels) as you'll feel that more on the trails than frame weight (IMO).

SummitFever

Eats Squid

I've got both an alloy and carbon Trance 29er (both 2020 models) and other than the weight savings the ride/feel is very similar between them. The carbon is probably not worth the $4.5k. The Carbonda FM1001 is a Horst-link frame. With the right rear shock I'm sure it'll be a good performer but the Maestro setup is an excellent performer.

I almost feel dirty recommending a Fox shock, but I think the biggest upgrade you could do to your Trance 29er would be to get hold of a DPX2 (ideally the one tuned for the Giant/Trance). I have a RS Deluxe Ultimate and Fox DPS as spare shocks for the Trance and with some revalving the Deluxe is pretty good but still not as good as the stock DPX2. It is the first shock I have had that has not been modified within the first month of ownership.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I almost feel dirty recommending a Fox shock, but I think the biggest upgrade you could do to your Trance 29er would be to get hold of a DPX2 (ideally the one tuned for the Giant/Trance). I have a RS Deluxe Ultimate and Fox DPS as spare shocks for the Trance and with some revalving the Deluxe is pretty good but still not as good as the stock DPX2. It is the first shock I have had that has not been modified within the first month of ownership.
I haven't had bad things to say about Fox RP and DP shocks. They have just worked for me without any headaches.

The DPX2 is nice shock and you have a chance at home maintenance. Don't forget the 3mm allen key LSC adjuster which makes big difference if it feels a bit harsh. That adjustment works well.