What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is it the new or old X2?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Brand new 2022 model. The one with the ridiculously hard to reach HSR adjuster. Came directly from Fox Australia.
I've had this bike approaching a year and never had more than a month or so without the shock doing something it shouldn't.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Brand new 2022 model. The one with the ridiculously hard to reach HSR adjuster. Came directly from Fox Australia.
I've had this bike approaching a year and never had more than a month or so without the shock doing something it shouldn't.
Putting an extra 10-20psi in the IFP seems to help these shocks function for longer

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
That sucks. The original Float X2 had a lot of problems for the first few model years as well.

Might be time to cut your losses and try something else.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That sucks. The original Float X2 had a lot of problems for the first few model years as well.

Might be time to cut your losses and try something else.

Thinking the same. Will see if Fox comes good but certainly have been tempted by alternative options...

crash3

Likes Dirt
Suggested the wife, miss 3 and I do Sunday morning breakfast in Husky so I could test ride the refurbed roadie. An easy 8k's each way, not much up and down, but felt great to be back out on a bike again.
Really leaned into the hipster cyclist vibe with my mexican quinoa breakky bowl and nitro cold brew coffee.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
It didn't rain and I actually went out for a ride!

Still moist in patches but at least it wasn't a total swamp on the trails. Spent the morning doing laps of a short enduro course and bracketing suspension settings. I surprised myself by going for a mid range LSC setting, rather than maxing it out.

Also fitted a Microshift Advent X derailleur. Worked perfectly with my m980 xtr shifter and the hg Ztto 11-50 slr cassette. I reckon the Advent X is a brilliant aftermarket solution for anyone looking for a reasonably priced wide range 1x groupset.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
To follow up from yesterday's endeavour...

For brake pads I don't think there was any benefit. The 2 types I put in were still filthy when they came out. These were some cheap (thanks CRC) pads I can't remember the brand of and original Shimano xt with fins. Slight brag...these are the original pads from some xt m785 brakes that I have ran across a few bikes since is built up an NS snabb E in 2016 (according to the archives here)! That's some longevity...or I don't ide enough. Anyway they are currently on daily duty for the rook having come off the nomad.

I did the cheeky hand clean on the pads in the sink, where you put detergent on them and rub them against each other vigorously until the suds are clean. I did wonder if the ride in the dishwasher had made this easier? Anyway they appear clean now.

As for the rotors...some of these rotors were really cooked! They had been flogged and left to float around the garage for many many years. I don't know why I hadn't thrown them out, but there they all were. About 1/3 came out looking minty new! Oddly these were inexpensive Ashima rotora and some formula rotors. The avid and Shimano rotors came out to varying degrees of cleanish to not very clean. So I put them all through for a second round. This got most stuff to a usable condition. I'll see what they look like when I get home from my holiday. Any that look like shit will be subject to further experiments. I am wondering how a vinegar bath for the crusty rusty ones will turn out.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
To follow up from yesterday's endeavour...

For brake pads I don't think there was any benefit. The 2 types I put in were still filthy when they came out. These were some cheap (thanks CRC) pads I can't remember the brand of and original Shimano xt with fins. Slight brag...these are the original pads from some xt m785 brakes that I have ran across a few bikes since is built up an NS snabb E in 2016 (according to the archives here)! That's some longevity...or I don't ide enough. Anyway they are currently on daily duty for the rook having come off the nomad.

I did the cheeky hand clean on the pads in the sink, where you put detergent on them and rub them against each other vigorously until the suds are clean. I did wonder if the ride in the dishwasher had made this easier? Anyway they appear clean now.

As for the rotors...some of these rotors were really cooked! They had been flogged and left to float around the garage for many many years. I don't know why I hadn't thrown them out, but there they all were. About 1/3 came out looking minty new! Oddly these were inexpensive Ashima rotora and some formula rotors. The avid and Shimano rotors came out to varying degrees of cleanish to not very clean. So I put them all through for a second round. This got most stuff to a usable condition. I'll see what they look like when I get home from my holiday. Any that look like shit will be subject to further experiments. I am wondering how a vinegar bath for the crusty rusty ones will turn out.

View attachment 392191
Didn't realise you'd put the brake pads through as well. You are a brave man, and fingers crossed no friction material makes its way onto your dining wear or cutlery in the near future!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Didn't realise you'd put the brake pads through as well. You are a brave man, and fingers crossed no friction material makes its way onto your dining wear or cutlery in the near future!

Pads were a deliberate inclusion on the first run, but they weren't in there on the second run. I have since done a load of what normal people usually put in the dishwasher and that included 2 $$$ Riedel spirit tumblers. They came out in fine form, so I am not too worried. I did mean to run a cleaning solution through before doing the dishes etc, but forgot.